Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to work for Ford. The one vehicle I NEVER saw broken was a 4 cylinder 5-speed Ranger. Never saw it. Seen 'em with nearly 500K miles on em, but never a one in the shop for anything but routine.

Question for 2017 owners with kids; does infant car seat fits behind driver or passenger seat while occupied or it need to me put in middle seat

Judging by the photos of the rear seat, the Isofix points are actually behind the driver and passenger seats. So the seat should fit there.

I used to work for Ford. The one vehicle I NEVER saw broken was a 4 cylinder 5-speed Ranger. Never saw it. Seen 'em with nearly 500K miles on em, but never a one in the shop for anything but routine.

You mean the ones with the dual spark plugs?

My ex-brother-in-law has one of those. I think his has like 325K miles last time I spoke to him. For a number of years he used to tow his small Bumblebee class race car to the track with it.

You mean the ones with the dual spark plugs?

I don't recall which one I saw that hit the 500k mark, or close, I think it pre-dated that as I'm not sure when they went to that configuration, but yes, those models too. We never had an issue out of them during the year I was there. I never saw one come in broken. I saw all manner of other Ford vehicles, but no manual 05+ mustangs, and no ford Rangers with the I4/manual combo.

My ex-brother-in-law has one of those. I think his has like 325K miles last time I spoke to him. For a number of years he used to tow his small Bumblebee class race car to the track with it.

They just don't break. No small truck does in my experience, be it a B2200, or a Frontier, or a S10. The 4-banger/manual/small-truck combo is what I would want, if I were the last human on earth and had zero mechanical skills and could only have 1 vehicle for the rest of my life, lol

They just don't break. No small truck does in my experience, be it a B2200, or a Frontier, or a S10. The 4-banger/manual/small-truck combo is what I would want, if I were the last human on earth and had zero mechanical skills and could only have 1 vehicle for the rest of my life, lol

Yea, my dad had one of those rangers when I was in HS (I learned to drive manual in it) and my buddy had a B2200. We gave those trucks hell. It was like we were trying to mess them up (hoping for something better maybe lol) and couldn't.

Question for 2017 owners with kids; does infant car seat fits behind driver or passenger seat while occupied or it need to me put in middle seat

Depends on how big you are. I tried it at the dealer. I have a one year old and three year old and my next car will need to occasionally carry them. With our rear facing Britax Marathon convertible seat placed behind the driver, the driver's seat had to be moved forward enough that it was a cramped fit. I'm 70" tall and I could drive it like that if I needed to for a short trip, but it wouldn't be comfortable. Our Britax infant car seat takes up ~1" less room than the rear facing convertible, but it still forces me too far forward if it's installed behind the driver's seat. My wife, who is 63" tall, is comfortable enough with a rear facing car seat behind her on the passenger side.

Putting the rear facing seat in the middle will allow you to have another couple inches of leg room in the front, but if you have a second child seat to accommodate then you might have a problem fitting it unless it's one of the narrower seats on the market, because the CX-5 is not that wide.

We did car seat checks on A LOT of different vehicles when we were shopping for a new car for my wife, since it was going to be the primarily family vehicle. The only vehicles that could fit a rear facing car seat behind me without affecting my driving position were minivans, although the Ford Explorer and Honda Pilot (with 2nd row all the way back) weren't bad.

What did OP end up getting?

I was just looking at some inventory at a local Honda dealer and the new CR-V EX trim with AWD at 27k seems like a great deal...

What did OP end up getting?

I was just looking at some inventory at a local Honda dealer and the new CR-V EX trim with AWD at 27k seems like a great deal...

If you are in Dallas - Honda CRV EX trim in AWD is about 23K. FWD is about 1200 cheaper. Good deal. Cant beat fully loaded Rogue at 22.5K though.

If you are in Dallas - Honda CRV EX trim in AWD is about 23K. FWD is about 1200 cheaper. Good deal. Cant beat fully loaded Rogue at 22.5K though.

Well, I'm sure any car can "beat" a Rogue. Kia Soul's are pretty cheap, and its possible that they use the same amount of cheap plastic. ;)

The CRV looks neat, but it reminds me of a utility knife overall. It's a case of function over form (just like Subaru's).

Last edited:
Rode in my co-worker's new rogue 2 weeks ago.
LOTS of hard plastic. Huge amount of room in back seat and pano sunroof is nice. Infotainment sucked and radio was meh (CR-V radio was meh also btw. Not bad but meh).
Also Rouge was VERY loud in Highway speeds and if you give it the foot the engine and transmission sound like something is about to fall apart in there.

LOTS of hard plastic. Huge amount of room in back seat and pano sunroof is nice. Infotainment sucked and radio was meh (CR-V radio was meh also btw. Not bad but meh).
Also Rouge was VERY loud in Highway speeds and if you give it the foot the engine and transmission sound like something is about to fall apart in there.

Yeah a pano sunroof would have been pretty cool. Although I bet that adds cabin noise.

Not to mention it has so much body roll and lurching forward when you brake. The Rogue is a truly awful vehicle that Mango's "9 out of 10 average buyers" fall for.

Well it was dirt cheap tho. She got $6.5k of MSRP!!!

I think the only reason they sell in so much volume is because they are cheap as nuts. They probably inflate the MSRP to match competitors and say Lookie here! We are same class of car, same price, but we give you a mad discount!

Not to mention it has so much body roll and lurching forward when you brake. The Rogue is a truly awful vehicle that Mango's "9 out of 10 average buyers" fall for.

Hahaha yeah! When I originally read that it hurt my brain. So it's good because it's the most affordable?

I know I've probably said this before, but... I think the majority of buyers in this segment just want the biggest box on wheels they can afford, as long as it's reliable. That's why the Rogue, CR-V, and RAV4 are selling best. Fortunately, this segment is big enough for Mazda, Jeep, Subaru, etc. to offer something a little different and still make some money.

People buy Rogues because they're cheap. Don't let the MSRP fool you, you can get hefty discounts off MSRP, much bigger than Mazda or Honda which is why people buy them. It's not because people think they're 'better' than everything else. My aunt bought one because it had a good amount of space and most importantly for her 'it was the cheapest of them all'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back