Smooth Wheel

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I saw a youtube video of a guy testing a Signature and he complained the steering wheel was too smooth. I can kind of see what he means. Has anyone else found it an annoyance?

I saw a youtube video of a guy testing a Signature and he complained the steering wheel was too smooth. I can kind of see what he means. Has anyone else found it an annoyance?

I guess people don't have enough problems, they have to create more.

The steering wheel on my 2014 touring felt smooth and slick at first.Enough so that I mentioned it to the salesman on a visit soon after buying.After a short while the leather 'broke in' and the grip improved.Guess it's like most things leather that soften with use.I just occasionally wipe it down with a moist cloth.Just my experience.

There is a global TSB for early models with the hard finish that went flaky. New steering wheel to be had in that case.

I rub sticky notes on my steering wheel to solve this problem - a pack will treat the entire wheel and last for hours

This seems a bit strange to me...I don't find the steering wheel too smooth at all. It has adequate grip for my tastes, and I have no worries about losing control due to the surface being too smooth. That's the only real factor of which I can think that might cause an actual issue, versus just what falls under personal taste. Jmaz is correct that the leather will break in over time and lose some of any perceived slickness.

And, there are a lot of aftermarket cover solutions for people who aren't fond of their vehicle's factory steering wheel finish or feel, in many price ranges and with many different selections of materials.

I have an external blue and keep a pad of blue stickies on the dash. Passengers have commented how well coordinated the exterior color and the stickies are. Rubbing the stickie on the wheel did not help until my wife suggested I turn it over.

I have an external blue and keep a pad of blue stickies on the dash. Passengers have commented how well coordinated the exterior color and the stickies are. Rubbing the stickie on the wheel did not help until my wife suggested I turn it over.

;)

OP I found the perfect solution...

81itJcf9NlL._SL1500_.jpg

OP I found the perfect solution...
In West Virginia, aftermarket steering wheel covers are specifically forbidden by state law. The cops are known to take a utility knife and cut off any offending equipment. I used to think this was a pretty sketchy policy, but now I'm starting to come around on the idea.

Back