Left Doors Unlocked

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Yesterday I came home, unloaded the groceries and went into the house. Had the "key" in my pocket. This morning I went out and the mirrors were sticking out and the doors were unlocked. How'd that happen? I certainly don't want a repeat when I'm in the city.

Did you lock the doors before you went in the house? Maybe the unlock button got pressed in your pocket. Maybe your neighbors have hacking software. Could be any number of possibilities. Not sure how to prove/disprove any of them.

Yesterday I came home, unloaded the groceries and went into the house. Had the "key" in my pocket. This morning I went out and the mirrors were sticking out and the doors were unlocked. How'd that happen? I certainly don't want a repeat when I'm in the city.

Happens to me every once in awhile. You have it set to auto lock? If you walk away too fast, it may not lock. There's another thread discussing this at length.

That said, I always listen for the second beep, so it may be that it occasionally performs outside of it's intended parameters, aka fails, like so many of our electronic aids.

If I don't press the lock button, my doors don't lock either(yes)

Happens to me every once in awhile. You have it set to auto lock? If you walk away too fast, it may not lock. There's another thread discussing this at length.

That said, I always listen for the second beep, so it may be that it occasionally performs outside of it's intended parameters, aka fails, like so many of our electronic aids.

I experience the same occasionally. Autolock with "walkaway mode". If I walk away too fast sometimes it doesn't autolock. As pointed out, listen for the second beep.

On my Sport, pressing the lock button on the keyfob 3x sounds the horn very briefly so you know the vehicle is locked. I don't know if the antenna key versions are the same.

Thanks very much, I guess I walked away too fast.

I haven't quite figured it out but when any door besides the driver's is opened, there's some situations where the doors don't automatically lock. I think they have always automatically locked when only the driver's door gets opened.

If you close the tailgate AFTER you close the car doors then the car will NOT lock.
Open and close a door after you have unloaded the groceries.
If you close the door with the key "out of range" it will NOT lock. This can be as little as a metre or a yard.
The car should "beep" when the door is closed and the key is in range and "beep again" when the key moves away.
Ours is a UK model but I do not see that yours can be different.

If you close the tailgate AFTER you close the car doors then the car will NOT lock.
Open and close a door after you have unloaded the groceries.
If you close the door with the key "out of range" it will NOT lock. This can be as little as a metre or a yard.
The car should "beep" when the door is closed and the key is in range and "beep again" when the key moves away.
Ours is a UK model but I do not see that yours can be different.

Oh, thank you for the details! A passenger closing their door after I'm (and the key in my pocket) out of range is probably the scenario I've encountered but I just didn't know exactly why.

I have mine set on Auto Lock.

It seems that the Auto Lock either does not work or is disabled (or there's some weird sequence of events) if I open the hatch to get my groceries out. When I close the driver's door when the hatch is open and then close the hatch, it's as though Auto Lock does not work.

So it seems. I have not tested this.

A few days ago I had my first instance of walking up to my car after shopping and realizing I had left the thing running. I've almost done this once before. Damned keyless stuff...

It seems that the Auto Lock either does not work or is disabled (or there's some weird sequence of events) if I open the hatch to get my groceries out. When I close the driver's door when the hatch is open and then close the hatch, it's as though Auto Lock does not work.

So it seems. I have not tested this.

You are correct. Doesn't make sense to me, but seems to be by design.

On my Sport, pressing the lock button on the keyfob 3x sounds the horn very briefly so you know the vehicle is locked. I don't know if the antenna key versions are the same.

I got used to pressing the lock button on the door as I exit, since it is hard to hear the car lock when pressing the fob and I rather not hear the horn beep by pressing the fob button again.

You are correct. Doesn't make sense to me, but seems to be by design.

I wonder if the problem is that I walk away as the hatch is closing, and I'm out of range when it locks.

I'll try staying there as the hatch closes and see if that makes a difference. I can't pick through the 26 mind-numbing pages of the manual on keys/doors/locks tonight to see if this is addressed. It makes my eyes glaze over. SO many options on functionality & behaviour & #beeps.

I have the Walk Away feature turned on.

When I close the driver's door and have the fob on me (outside of the car), I get an initial Beep. When I walk away, it Beeps a couple of times to let me know that it locked. I believe the lights flash as well when it locks...I think.

I wonder if the problem is that I walk away as the hatch is closing, and I'm out of range when it locks.

I'll try staying there as the hatch closes and see if that makes a difference.

Nope, it won't.

I have the Walk Away feature turned on.

When I close the driver's door and have the fob on me (outside of the car), I get an initial Beep. When I walk away, it Beeps a couple of times to let me know that it locked. I believe the lights flash as well when it locks...I think.

Beeps once when the doors are all closed. Beeps once when it locks. Beeps twice when it unlocks.

Nope, it won't.

Really???

I just tried reading the manual to see if mention was made of it, but the section on keys & door locks is a mind-numbing 26 pages full of options and variations on a beep-theme.

So what if I get out of the car without opening the hatch from within, close the driver's door, then open the hatch from the hatch and not from the inside button? Do you know if the car will lock after I close the hatch under that scenario?

really???

I just tried reading the manual to see if mention was made of it, but the section on keys & door locks is a mind-numbing 26 pages full of options and variations on a beep-theme.

So what if i get out of the car without opening the hatch from within, close the driver's door, then open the hatch from the hatch and not from the inside button? Do you know if the car will lock after i close the hatch under that scenario?

If you have would take the time from posting and read the manual on locks and keys you would find that it all depends on what groceries you are unloading prior to the hatch closing. It is on one of the pages between 1-26 toward the bottom just above the last sentence. I read it the other night when I was trying to fall asleep. If I have another restless night after reading the Forum, I will try and locate the actual page. Are the groceries you are removing before closing the hatch organic? Process of elimination will set you free to close the doors with your FOB. Do not give up hope.

THERE IS A BUTTON ABOVE THE REAR LICENSE PLATE TO OPEN THE HATCH AND THERE IS A "SECRET" BUTTON TO THE RIGHT OF YOUR LICENSE PLATE ON THE HATCH THAT WILL LOCK ALL THE DOORS. WATCH THE VIDEO!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSouMjvjrX0

Last edited:
Really???

So what if I get out of the car without opening the hatch from within, close the driver's door, then open the hatch from the hatch and not from the inside button? Do you know if the car will lock after I close the hatch under that scenario?

The walk away lock is sensitive. If you are 3-4 feet or more away from the car when the last door closes it won't activate the auto lock. You can try it yourself to see the range by having the drivers door open and standing back away from the car but just close enough for you to give the door a push to shut it with your outstretched arm. You'll be far enough away the auto lock won't engage.

The car will auto lock in the situation you described above but only if you stand next to the back of the car and wait for the hatch to fully close. Then you'll hear the single beep, and then the second beep when you walk away. If you press the hatch button to close it and start to walk away you will be out of range by the time the hatch gets fully latched so it won't work.

Back