US Diesel's big splash introduction

Having more gears is not necessarily a good thing if the box and control units don't know what the correct gear it should be in.

Mazda's 6 speed automatic is fine for both petrol and diesel as it knows what gear to be in pretty much most of the time. They have sorted it out well IMHO.

That they do, but a well sorted 8 speed is better. Time will tell if Toyota did it right or not.

That they do, but a well sorted 8 speed is better. Time will tell if Toyota did it right or not.
Jury is out on that.

Why not wack a 10 speed in then (uhm)

Sometimes having more gears is not that beneficial. It all depends on the whole package.

But you are right we shall see.

Personally the new RAV4 doesn't do it for me. Looks like the product of a Kluger (Highlander) and an FJ Cruiser that mated.

Last edited:
Jury is out on that.

Why not wack a 10 speed in then (uhm)

Sometimes having more gears is not that beneficial. It all depends on the whole package.

But you are right we shall see.

Personally the new RAV4 doesn't do it for me. Looks like the product of a Kluger (Highlander) and an FJ Cruiser that mated.
Actually, Ford and GM have stuffed 10 speeds in their sports cars. Why not, indeed!

Actually, Ford and GM have stuffed 10 speeds in their sports cars. Why not, indeed!

True but they have much more power than the CX-5 so there it makes much more sense :)

Of course it helps them with performance but a lesser known reason they went down this path was to try and lower fuel consumption that way considering they can't make their V8 engines any more fuel efficient.

Well, the RAV is pushing more power than any other cuv in its class, has an 8 speed, has actual torque vectoring and lockable awd, or CVT and sport tuned suspension etc. And is riding on the Toyota name for reliability. The more rugged styling is going to be a hit among many as well.

Uk only gets a petrol or hybrid, no diesel so I don't see me buying one, CRV already has 9 speeds in the UK but doesn't appear to gain any fuel savings, or give added performance, I get the impression that the gears are needed to help a poor diesel engine with a narrow power band, and its only 1.6

Uk only gets a petrol or hybrid, no diesel so I don't see me buying one, CRV already has 9 speeds in the UK but doesn't appear to gain any fuel savings, or give added performance, I get the impression that the gears are needed to help a poor diesel engine with a narrow power band, and its only 1.6

Then how do you reconcile this?

Hey xtrailman - any news from UK Mazda about getting the updated diesel there (uhm)

It's turbocharged. That's comparing apples to oranges. The turbocharged 2.3L disi in the MS3 made 260+ hp and got 30mpg...almost 15 years ago.
Yes I know. Was only referring to your comment about diesel power being less than petrol. Usually it is but in this case not anymore.

SkyactivD badge on a Mazda6 with Michigan plates...must be a test vehicle.

In a wild twist of fate, the 6 gets the SA-D, and the CX5 is again left without something the 6 got, and all the 6 diesel hold-outs from forever ago are all "BRO! IM SO GLAD I WAITED!!!!"

Back