CX-4 Photos

Chinese people hate number "4" associated with their automobiles.

Is there anything for which Chinese culture doesn't condition people to be uncomfortable with "4"? Seems to me it's even considered more culturally unlucky than "13" is in North America.

So the reports are that the CX-4 is indeed very similar to the red car shown and will be made and sold only in China. No USA. Makes sense as they may sell more cars in a month in China than they would in a year in the USA.

There is one report that claims the CX 4 will be sold in China initially before it is released to other areas (and that is just their opinion), but no reports that I've seen that it will only be sold in China.

Chinese people hate number "4" associated with their automobiles.
Is there anything for which Chinese culture doesn't condition people to be uncomfortable with "4"? Seems to me it's even considered more culturally unlucky than "13" is in North America.
I believe people in China seem more superstitious even though they're under Communist system. People in Taiwan, although they're under democratic system, are also very superstitious. If you've been visiting China recently, you'll notice that the 4th floor and 13th floor don't exist in all high-rise hotels. But this isn't the case in Taiwan. Dislike "4" on license plate started from Taiwan due to similar pronunciation to "death". It almost like people here don't like triple "6"s on their license plate. It's gradually spreading to China and people started to apply this superstition to everything such as floor number in hotels. Strangely, double "6"s are actually a very lucky number for Chinese culture.

I'd not use CX-4 model name in China if I were a decision maker in Mazda. Many European car manufactures use different model name in China if they think there's a better name for the local market as the market there is so huge.

There is one report that claims the CX 4 will be sold in China initially before it is released to other areas (and that is just their opinion), but no reports that I've seen that it will only be sold in China.

Actually, almost every site is saying it. Here is one example.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/reports-says-mazda-cx-4-will-be-china.html

The statements are similar:

"If this all sound enticing, you’d might be disappointed to find out the CX-4 won’t be available in the U.S. anytime soon, as it will be initially manufactured in China and sold only in that country, as spokeswoman Michiko Terashima told Automotive News. Sure, the company is considering to release the automobile in other markets, but at this point, nothing has been decided, according to Terashima. "

Basically what they said about the diesel Mazda in the USA. The CX-4 will not be coming to the USA any time soon.

Actually, almost every site is saying it. Here is one example. http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/reports-says-mazda-cx-4-will-be-china.html

The statements are similar:

"If this all sound enticing, you’d might be disappointed to find out the CX-4 won’t be available in the U.S. anytime soon, as it will be initially manufactured in China and sold only in that country, as spokeswoman Michiko Terashima told Automotive News. Sure, the company is considering to release the automobile in other markets, but at this point, nothing has been decided, according to Terashima. "

Basically what they said about the diesel Mazda in the USA. The CX-4 will not be coming to the USA any time soon.
That's because when there is so little new to report, they all copy from each other!

You are right--now that I look at the different articles they are all quoting the one statement from Automotive News.

But they are also quoting a Mazda spokesperson. I wish I was wrong as well. I really, really, really, want that car!

I believe people in China seem more superstitious even though they're under Communist system. People in Taiwan, although they're under democratic system, are also very superstitious. If you've been visiting China recently, you'll notice that the 4th floor and 13th floor don't exist in all high-rise hotels. But this isn't the case in Taiwan. Dislike "4" on license plate started from Taiwan due to similar pronunciation to "death". It almost like people here don't like triple "6"s on their license plate. It's gradually spreading to China and people started to apply this superstition to everything such as floor number in hotels. Strangely, double "6"s are actually a very lucky number for Chinese culture.

I'd not use CX-4 model name in China if I were a decision maker in Mazda. Many European car manufactures use different model name in China if they think there's a better name for the local market as the market there is so huge.

This is true, some hotels in Toronto, there is no 4th floor. Perhaps they should call it the CX-888! But then again, they say the Chinese aren't too big on purchasing anything from a Japanese company due to past relations during the WWII

Really? Maryland??? Whenever I visit my brother in law in Silver Spring I always notice how nobody drives pickups in that neck of the woods!

Yes Maryland really! Maryland is a tiny state but oh boy is there a difference in counties!! I live in Southern Maryland (Calvert County) and 3/4 of the county drives some sort of pick-up truck. The preference is the bigger the better, with the dually being king - confederate flags-a-flyin'! To each his own, but not a fan. I'm a California transplant . . . enough said.

Seriously though - I think in US Mazda has a market for a good and capable off-road SUV. What I mean is taking on Pilot, 4Runner, Pathfinder category. My theory is ALL of these are CLUNKY, old looking, not really comfortable and seriously lacking in road handling. If Mazda can come up with a true off-roader which is also very capable road handling with quick acceleration - they might have a winner. Also - they are all gas guzzlers, so that's another point.

Seriously though - I think in US Mazda has a market for a good and capable off-road SUV. What I mean is taking on Pilot, 4Runner, Pathfinder category. My theory is ALL of these are CLUNKY, old looking, not really comfortable and seriously lacking in road handling. If Mazda can come up with a true off-roader which is also very capable road handling with quick acceleration - they might have a winner. Also - they are all gas guzzlers, so that's another point.

I wouldn't consider the pilot or the current version of the pathfinder off-road SUV. I consider them minivan replacements.

Old thread but I just came across it.

WOW, the CX-4 is really a beautiful car. It's really a shame we won't get it(mad).

plasti-dipping is addicting lol. I started with my rear badges. Went on to buy some cheap door sill scuff plates, did that. Next I did my roof rails. Now I got a rear bumper protector that matches the door sill scuff plates that I will do when they come in. Also contemplating plasti-dipping my chromebook.

unless you are putting a clear-gloss coat on top of the plastidip, it's going to be grainy and look like s***. heres what I've done to my car:

2eg5eky.jpg

sy42fk.jpg

That is one sleek car. Very nice.

Off topic but yesterday in Manila I spotted a CX-7. That one is a looker as well. Some nice designs coming out of Hiroshima.

That is one sleek car. Very nice.

Off topic but yesterday in Manila I spotted a CX-7. That one is a looker as well. Some nice designs coming out of Hiroshima.

An old design though in this case

Back