Who plans to own their CX-5 at least 10 years or more?

Well the three other cars we now have are from 1999, 2000, and 2005 (the last being my MiL's CR-V). I also have two teenagers who will be driving this summer. It's likely that I'll still have my CX-5 in ten years. :D

My 2014 with 52,000 already feels like its 10 years old. Just got a horrible new rattle in the center dashboard that sounds like a bunch of heavy rocks a bouncing around. Thought is was something in the glove box but wasn't. Another annoying rattle that sounds like the heat shield popped up 3 months ago and the dealer hears it, but can't find it to fix. Center console floor panel fell off yesterday, so I had to snap it back in for the 3rd time. Countless other issues which have weakened my confidence to even try to keep this car 10 years. Maybe I just got a bad one, but it feels very cheaply made compared to the big 3 Japanese makes.

My 2014 with 52,000 already feels like its 10 years old. Just got a horrible new rattle in the center dashboard that sounds like a bunch of heavy rocks a bouncing around. Thought is was something in the glove box but wasn't. Another annoying rattle that sounds like the heat shield popped up 3 months ago and the dealer hears it, but can't find it to fix. Center console floor panel fell off yesterday, so I had to snap it back in for the 3rd time. Countless other issues which have weakened my confidence to even try to keep this car 10 years. Maybe I just got a bad one, but it feels very cheaply made compared to the big 3 Japanese makes.
Based on the interior trim conditions of our 2-year-old、18,832-mile 2016 CX-5, I began losing some confidence like you on the longevity of it. Comparing to our 19-year-old、177,685-mile、never-garaged、Japanese-made 1998 Honda CR-V, I can even say its current interior looks in better shape than our much newer CX-5, no gaps、no out-of-shape plastic trim pieces. I'm hoping at least mechanically our CX-5 can last more than 10 years without any major issues. But I've never seen people replacing transmissions at such rate, although they're few, in such new model years when I was on the CR-V forum in early years which may have 5~10 times more members. Mechanically the transmission is my biggest concern right now.

I've noticed these gaps between interior trims since I saw a TSB for distorted A-pillar trim cover. I didn't want to discuss it as some forum members would feel this is a negative comment against our CX-5. Now you've mentioned it and here are some pictures of mine showing gap at top of the C-pillar trim and crooked A-pillar trim piece:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here is a picture showing the totally out-of-aligned design lines between B-pillar trim and front door panel. These two pieces don't match at all and seems coming from two different vehicles: (uhm)

attachment.php

Two months ago I also saw the left rear bumper piece was popped out. I thought someone hit the rear bumper but I couldn't find any sign of minor collision. I assumed it's a case of the plastic bumper flexed itself due to the sudden temperature drop, and popped out by itself?!

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 216048View attachment 216049View attachment 216050View attachment 216051View attachment 216052

Dang dude, that starts happening to ours and I don't care what people think on here. That is poor quality, period. Girl will be mad too because this thing will find a new home in a hurry as well. Hope you get it figured out and nothing else occurs...

2014 here as well. I have 47k miles.

It rattles, but no where near as bad as the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 200k miles was. And not noticably worse to me than when it was new.

I've observed no trim gaps and issues like the pictures people are posting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Based on the interior trim conditions of our 2-year-old、18,832-mile 2016 CX-5, I began losing some confidence like you on the longevity of it. Comparing to our 19-year-old、177,685-mile、never-garaged、Japanese-made 1998 Honda CR-V, I can even say its current interior looks in better shape than our much newer CX-5, no gaps、no out-of-shape plastic trim pieces. I'm hoping at least mechanically our CX-5 can last more than 10 years without any major issues.

It's what I've been saying throughout these forums. Poor quality. Honda definitely wins here.

Same thing happened with my 2004 Mazda 3s.

Most likely the last vehicle I'll ever buy. Had it a year and a half and totally perfect. No rattles, gaps, nothing. I'm turning 65 this year. I'm retiring within the next year. I am totally In love with this vehicle. Quality much better than the BMW.

I was going for 7 years, but I'm putting on more miles than I thought I would. I'm at 71k now. Got my Mazda in 3/13. The incentives for the 16.5 are too good to pass up and I have an awful itch to upgrade.

Go for it! You won't be sorry.

Rattles...I KNOW I am not immune to them, as I am a Nazi about it. As in, I tracked down the rattle in my WS.6 to the 02 sensor housings. My 370Z had a "hiss" at a certain rpm. The SKYACTIV motors also have a "exhaust noise" at certain loads and rpms.

However, I have not owned a modern vehicle with a rattle. My 2012 370Z, 2010 grand Jeep Cherokee, 2011 Z06, and 2015 CX5 are all rattle-free.

If you have a rattle...find and fix it. If you attack them ASAP, you will not have them stacking up...

My CX-5 is not perfect at all, but I remain resolute to get a MINIMUM of 200K miles out of it before engine problems, and if it won't accomplish that, then it's a piece of s*** and I'll never buy Mazda again. Just being honest, there. My family has ALWAYS kept vehicles to high-mile conditions, and even my Trans Am WS.6, which I beat the hell out of every day, managed 149K miles by the time I sold it, and was still running GREAT! Same for my 1995 LT1 Trans Am, with 170K miles on it.

Transmissions on the other hand...it's an automatic, I presume it will be checking out at 90-120K miles.

⋯ Transmissions on the other hand...it's an automatic, I presume it will be checking out at 90-120K miles.
I know your experience is different, but if you drain-and-fill ATF (don't flush, and we can't do it on our SkyActiv-Drive transmission anyway) once every 50,000 miles, chances are your transmission may last a lot longer. I do drain-and-fill the ATF on my 1998 Honda CR-V with 177,685 miles at about 50K~70K-mile interval (Honda specifies 90K-mile/72-month interval in normal condition but 30K-mile/24-month interval in severe condition), so far so good (knock on wood). :)

I know your experience is different, but if you drain-and-fill ATF (don't flush, and we can't do it on our SkyActiv-Drive transmission anyway) once every 50,000 miles, chances are your transmission may last a lot longer. I do drain-and-fill the ATF on my 1998 Honda CR-V with 177,685 miles at about 50K~70K-mile interval (Honda specifies 90K-mile/72-month interval in normal condition but 30K-mile/24-month interval in severe condition), so far so good (knock on wood). :)

Drain and replace (not flush) has killed or messed up every transmission I've ever done it to. Infiniti, Jeep, didn't matter. I think I'll pass on this vehicle. I'd like to AT LEAST make 100K miles, rofl

Just spent 3 hours under my 3 year old CX-5. Did AT, Engine and 2x TC oil changes.

Rust level in various spots on 36 month car was tad too much. Mark this post, but in 4 season weather I don't see this version last 10 years.

If this is CA/FL type of no salt climate - all should be fine, but winter states beware.

Just spent 3 hours under my 3 year old CX-5. Did AT, Engine and 2x TC oil changes.

Rust level in various spots on 36 month car was tad too much. Mark this post, but in 4 season weather I don't see this version last 10 years.

If this is CA/FL type of no salt climate - all should be fine, but winter states beware.
I've had mine for almost 3 weeks now and already saw rust while washing it yesterday that I really didn't expect to see yet. I'm in the Dirty South too. Gonna keep a close eye out...

I've had mine for almost 3 weeks now and already saw rust while washing it yesterday that I really didn't expect to see yet. I'm in the Dirty South too. Gonna keep a close eye out...

Is it surface rust or serious corrosion? I have surface rust on the fuel take and muffler/exhaust; a few little spots of corrosion on the inside (floor plates for the rear seats and under the passenger seat). The interior spots are more alarming than anything under the car. I plan to cover with Rustoleum black paint to keep from progressing. Mine is a 2016 GT (purchased November 2015). Hoping to hand off to my kids, but questioning if it will stand the test of time.

My CX-5 is not perfect at all, but I remain resolute to get a MINIMUM of 200K miles out of it before engine problems, and if it won't accomplish that, then it's a piece of s*** and I'll never buy Mazda again. Just being honest, there. My family has ALWAYS kept vehicles to high-mile conditions, and even my Trans Am WS.6, which I beat the hell out of every day, managed 149K miles by the time I sold it, and was still running GREAT! Same for my 1995 LT1 Trans Am, with 170K miles on it.
Funny - i threw my toaster out today. All dial markings were gone except 4 mins which was fading fast as well. I guess translating it to cars it would be 130K miles. Buying a new one soon.

Funny - i threw my toaster out today. All dial markings were gone except 4 mins which was fading fast as well. I guess translating it to cars it would be 130K miles. Buying a new one soon.

At least your toaster didn't make out like a Pinto and catch fire.

Love this car but nope. Its great now but by the time I'm finished paying it off I think It's be time to replace, especially with technology advancing as fast as it is. By the time I get my next car it will be able to drive itself. The guys who use the city radar and cruise control / lane keep assist know what I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I love driving, but sometimes especially on these LA freeways I need a break.

I'm saving to buy my CX-5 with cash. Meanwhile I'm driving a 2000 Acura 3.2TL that I bought new. I don't believe in buying new cars. If I have the discipline, I may continue to drive it until I can buy a used 2017 diesel top of the line in red. But when I have the cash, I may break down and buy it new -- again.

I'm saving to buy my CX-5 with cash. Meanwhile I'm driving a 2000 Acura 3.2TL that I bought new. I don't believe in buying new cars. If I have the discipline, I may continue to drive it until I can buy a used 2017 diesel top of the line in red. But when I have the cash, I may break down and buy it new -- again.

Ever have any transmission issues? IIRC.... a higher than normal failure rate with those early 2000's Honda ATs.

Back