Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

From most reviews I have seen, the NA 2.0/2.5L of Mazda seems to get much closer to official fuel consumption figures than most over car makers

Add the Mazda 2.3L
I got ~2 MPG better than EPA estimates

My general experience is that the non-turbo cars I've owned have met their EPA numbers, but the turbo cars have not. Same for the cars owned by immediate family that I've put significant miles on. I've also noticed that the turbos seem more sensitive to driving style. The turbos need to be driven like an elderly grandmother to get anywhere near their rating, while the naturally aspirated engines can be driven a little harder without as much impact on fuel economy.

I think this is why we’re starting to see auto makers backing off the down sizing. It works well to a point for efficiency. I think they had past that point. Now you’re seeing a VW 2.0t for example with much lower hp but will probably do better real world on efficiency.

I still like my turbo for power though but I go into it with realistic expectations on efficiency.

My general experience is that the non-turbo cars I've owned have met their EPA numbers, but the turbo cars have not. Same for the cars owned by immediate family that I've put significant miles on. I've also noticed that the turbos seem more sensitive to driving style. The turbos need to be driven like an elderly grandmother to get anywhere near their rating, while the naturally aspirated engines can be driven a little harder without as much impact on fuel economy.
This is true for the 2.5L with Skyactiv. Rush from every stop light switch lanes and speed up through city streets and still my morning commute is 32mpg. CRV with 1.5 doing what I do = about 27 ish or so.

Mazda is marketing the Mazda6 as a Sports Sedan, which if I'm not mistaken, is equivalent to a Sports Saloon in Europe. Sports Sedans/Saloons are usually high power grand touring cars. If there is any car in the Mazda lineup that needed a higher performing engine, it is the Mazda6. I'm not surprised that the Mazda6 is the first car other than the CX-9 to get the turbo engine.

Now regarding AWD and FWD. Like I said previously, I'm fine if it is just FWD as long as it comes with a LSD. I'm a big fan of AWD, but FWD + LSD should not be underestimated. The Gen1 and I think also the Gen2 Mazdaspeed3, was faster around VIR than a competing WRX back then. The current generation GTI is pretty quick too and it only has FWD. Sure, an AWD car will have an advantage in traction, but that is something that can be mitigated with stickier tries and better throttle control. I do agree that making AWD available for the Mazda6 would give it one more desired feature that other midsize sedans don't have, most likely helping the car sell more as well.

I'm getting above average fuel economy with my Speed3. I'm getting 22-23 average mpg on my current commute, on a car that's rated 25 mpg on the highway, not too bad. I used to get 23-25 mpg on my longer commute in the past. As long as the tuning is not too aggressive on the new engine, by that I mean it doesn't produce too much boost/power at very low RPMs, good fuel economy should still be attainable with the 2.5T engine.

A 2.5T CX5 will eat into CX9 sales, which is already bad.
Since CX5 is doing well in sales, there is no need to make it even hotter.
Mazda is selling every CX5 they can produce. They actually try to increase production.

Mazda6 is another matter. Sales number is very low.
It needs a boost. 2.5T is the right way to go. I might even trade in my '16 for it..... if my *CEO* approves.

Me either really..it was rumored on the 6 forum from someone via twitter but honestly its a) irrelevant to me if its FWD only and b) doesn't fit it my garage as nicely as a twin and late addendum..c) doesn't power on oversteer unless they shock the world with a RWD 2.5T 6 w/LSD and a manual- haha but cool would that be..

FWIW- may actually roll 2 CX5s for a bit- one gas winter beater, one diesel garage queen-lining up to replace my X1 lease in 10 months..have to see what happens- this will buy me some time to see what's in store for the 2nd gen BRZ..

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if it is available with a manual when it launches as 2018 model. Anyway, the top of the line GT trim Mazda6s do come with paddle shifters, so it should be fine if you are fine with getting an auto. And it's not like Mazdas 6 speed auto tranmissions is crappy. I'm guessing a few years down the line, the 2.5T will eventually make its way into a Touring trim available with a 6 speed manual.

I'd be surprised if it is available with a manual when it launches as 2018 model. Anyway, the top of the line GT trim Mazda6s do come with paddle shifters, so it should be fine if you are fine with getting an auto. And it's not like Mazdas 6 speed auto tranmissions is crappy. I'm guessing a few years down the line, the 2.5T will eventually make its way into a Touring trim available with a 6 speed manual.

Possibly or by that time SkyActiv-X will be the standard

^That's true..Mazda's auto is good enough that I wouldn't completely discount it due to lack of a manual..the driven wheels however is where I draw the line..1 powerful FWD car for 1 full year was all I needed to say never again.

The auto gearbox has been consistently praised by reviewers here regardless of which Mazda model it resides in

A 2.5T CX5 will eat into CX9 sales, which is already bad.
Since CX5 is doing well in sales, there is no need to make it even hotter.
Mazda is selling every CX5 they can produce. They actually try to increase production.

Mazda6 is another matter. Sales number is very low.
It needs a boost. 2.5T is the right way to go. I might even trade in my '16 for it..... if my *CEO* approves.

The CX-5 is selling well by Mazda's standards, but it is still nowhere close to the top of its segment. The mainstream auto business is highly competitive and I can't imagine the executives of a company like Mazda saying any amount of sales is good enough.

Back