What did you pay for your CX-5?

Hello,
Got quoted $33400 out the door price (include everything) for machine grey GT with Premium Pkg. This is with 0.9% interest instead of rebate.
They also throw in floor mat.
Is this a good price guys? First time car buyer here.

Make sure youre doing your math. Theres an app if you google "car loan calculator". It will tell you exactly how much you'll be paying after interest. They offered me their "special rate" of 0.9% also. Turns out with the rebate and 2.89%, I was actually paying less than their "special rate". Watch out for stuff like this, these dealers are not your friends. No matter how nice they may seem and how much they act like they're on your side, they are 100% not. They will do whatever it takes to squeeze every last penny out of you. Make sure you know your stuff and do the math. I came in on a Saturday, was quoted $30,500 OTD and was told they could not go any lower or they would be barely making any profits. Come Monday they came all the way down to $28,400. Thats $2,100 less! After they told me they couldn't come down at all on Saturday. These dealers will do whatever it takes to take advantage of you, don't let them. Be patient, confident and unafaraid to walk away when they will not budge. They want to sell the car just as bad as you want to buy it, don't forget that.

Hello,
Got quoted $33400 out the door price (include everything) for machine grey GT with Premium Pkg. This is with 0.9% interest instead of rebate.
They also throw in floor mat.
Is this a good price guys? First time car buyer here.

I always recommend take the best OTD price and then go to your credit union to get a sub 2% rate. Once you pay money to a dealer its not coming back - interest otoh can be saved by repaying early or few bucks every month.
I started with 18K loan and now am down to 11K in 1 year. I got the best possible OTD number within my metro. I can repay the money sooner and save more.

Make sure youre doing your math. Theres an app if you google "car loan calculator". It will tell you exactly how much you'll be paying after interest. They offered me their "special rate" of 0.9% also. Turns out with the rebate and 2.89%, I was actually paying less than their "special rate". Watch out for stuff like this, these dealers are not your friends. No matter how nice they may seem and how much they act like they're on your side, they are 100% not. They will do whatever it takes to squeeze every last penny out of you. Make sure you know your stuff and do the math. I came in on a Saturday, was quoted $30,500 OTD and was told they could not go any lower or they would be barely making any profits. Come Monday they came all the way down to $28,400. Thats $2,100 less! After they told me they couldn't come down at all on Saturday. These dealers will do whatever it takes to take advantage of you, don't let them. Be patient, confident and unafaraid to walk away when they will not budge. They want to sell the car just as bad as you want to buy it, don't forget that.
Oh man, look like I screwed up putting down a 500 deposit for this deal. Can I get still negotiate or get out of this????

Oh man, look like I screwed up putting down a 500 deposit for this deal. Can I get still negotiate or get out of this????

Don’t know about Texas, but in California deposits are essentially meaningless — 100% refundable as long as you haven’t signed a purchase agreement.

With the arrival of the 2018 CX5s announced for December, what do you guys predict Mazda will do with incentives for the 2017s? I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a 2017 CX5 GT and I was hoping to get a "leftover" model year at a steal of a price.

Probably an extra $1000. It won't be huge til they start getting scarce.

With the arrival of the 2018 CX5s announced for December, what do you guys predict Mazda will do with incentives for the 2017s? I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a 2017 CX5 GT and I was hoping to get a "leftover" model year at a steal of a price.

If you have time and patience there are folks who bought 16s when 17s came out. The best disco someone got was 17-20% range about 4 months after 17s hit the dealers- can't remember exact number. There were multiple members in that discount range. So it is doable. The discount vs effort calculation needs to be done. At some point getting an xtra 500 off may not be worth the time n effort.

Do one more thing - with 18s the packaging gets so much better. See what features you really like and see if you can snag an 18 for slightly less with features you really need. At this point - Sport AWD with i-Activ seems a great great package. The money you save can be done on aftermarket upgrades.

Hey guys, new to this thread and the Mazda brand, but looking through this forum helped me feel informed about my first dealership car-buying experience so I figured I'd post my details. I pulled the trigger yesterday on a 2017 CX-5 FWD grand touring with premium package, trailer hitch, and side rails. First quote I got was for $32,800 out the door. I emailed several dealerships and finally got one to offer $31,477 out the door all included. They had to do a dealer transfer and the model I received also happened to have a rear bumper guard installed as well as wheel locks in the glove compartment I didn't pay extra for. Here's the breakdown:

MSRP (includes destination fee): $33,395
Vehicle cost (includes destination fee before tax, tag, title): $29,319.95
Trade in allowance: $1250 ('08 Scion tC with 131,000 miles on it and some damage to passenger door)
Total OTD: $30,103.33
I felt like I got a pretty good deal ~12% off MSRP before trade and ~16% off MSRP with trade (not including tax, tag, and title since MSRP doesn't include these)
Dealer showed the savings as $1500 rebate and ~2600 dealer price reduction.
Was also able to get 2.74% financing through the dealership after being offered higher from a 3rd party.

I thought about waiting until next month with the 18 coming out, but was ready to move forward. Hope this helps someone!

If you have time and patience there are folks who bought 16s when 17s came out. The best disco someone got was 17-20% range about 4 months after 17s hit the dealers- can't remember exact number. There were multiple members in that discount range. So it is doable. The discount vs effort calculation needs to be done. At some point getting an xtra 500 off may not be worth the time n effort.

Do one more thing - with 18s the packaging gets so much better. See what features you really like and see if you can snag an 18 for slightly less with features you really need. At this point - Sport AWD with i-Activ seems a great great package. The money you save can be done on aftermarket upgrades.

Thanks for the info Kaps. I'm looking at a 2017 GT and when compared to a 2018 GT, there is very little difference. I would be happy to get the 2017 at a deeper discount.

2017 Red CX-5 Touring, FWD + preferred package: $25,267 (without rebates)
Bought it in the Bay Area (Putnam Mazda in Burlingame CA).

I had this post in mind tonight when I stopped in to Santa Monica Mazda. They had quoted me $29,560 OTD for a SCR '17 FWD Touring with PEP. I decided to go with Silver and it took about 5 minutes to get to a cash price of $24,904 plus $300 for accessories with 2 oil changes included (though I'm not sure what the accessories actually are, maybe window tinting?) There weren't any rebates or trade ins and I'm not financing. Maybe I could have done better had I shopped around, waited on the '18s or dug in my heels for a lower price but $28,000 OTD for a brand new CX-5 with the sunroof and 10 speaker Bose without having to knock myself out is comfortable.

Last edited:
I had this post in mind tonight when I stopped in to Santa Monica Mazda. They had quoted me $29,560 OTD for a SCR '17 FWD Touring with PEP. I decided to go with Silver and it took about 5 minutes to get to a cash price of $24,904 plus $300 for accessories with 2 oil changes included (though I'm not sure what the accessories actually are, maybe window tinting?) There weren't any rebates or trade ins and I'm not financing. Maybe I could have done better had I shopped around, waited on the '18s or dug in my heels for a lower price but $28,000 OTD for a brand new CX-5 with the sunroof and 10 speaker Bose without having to knock myself out is comfortable.

I'm confused BillOhio. You paid $24,904 for a 2017 versus $28k for a 2018. Is this what you mean? If so, you almost got $5k off from the initial OTD price...pretty darn awesome I think.

I'm confused BillOhio. You paid $24,904 for a 2017 versus $28k for a 2018. Is this what you mean? If so, you almost got $5k off from the initial OTD price...pretty darn awesome I think.

28 is the OTD - 249 is sticker. Taxes dealer fees registration are added.
My Price for Touring with Bose and Moonroof package was 23911 - my OutTheDoor was 25800. I got tinted windows and rear cargo tray free. He is talking about same price but saying on 18s he would not see such discounts.

Hi, Sorry,

$27,635 was the sticker. I got them to $24,904 before $300 in accessories, $80 doc fee and TTL. All together I'm out the door at $28,000 even.

I basically went in offering $28,000 OTD and asking for 'a couple of oil changes and a set of floor mats'. I got everything but the floor mats in about 5 minutes. That's not at all a record setting deal in here but I think ~10% off sticker is in the acceptable range, especially for a cash deal I would think. What I liked was that we got there so quick.

Kaps, I thought I did pretty respectably to get 10%ish off the sticker, and it looks like you beat me by another $1000 from the sticker and by $2,200 OTD?

Last edited:
Hi, Sorry,

$27,635 was the sticker. I got them to $24,904 before $300 in accessories, $80 doc fee and TTL. All together I'm out the door at $28,000 even.

I basically went in offering $28,000 OTD and asking for 'a couple of oil changes and a set of floor mats'. I got everything but the floor mats in about 5 minutes. That's not at all a record setting deal in here but I think ~10% off sticker is in the acceptable range, especially for a cash deal I would think. What I liked was that we got there so quick.

Kaps, I thought I did pretty respectably to get 10%ish off the sticker, and it looks like you beat me by $1000 for the car and $2,200 OTD?

Texas baby.
My electricity bill was $43 bucks. I get gas for $1.98 - nothing screams awesome like screwing mother nature for cheap.
Plus mine was 2016 when Mazda feature packaging was bad. Who cares for sunroof - if you can get some safety or tech features.

28 is the OTD - 249 is sticker. Taxes dealer fees registration are added.
My Price for Touring with Bose and Moonroof package was 23911 - my OutTheDoor was 25800. I got tinted windows and rear cargo tray free. He is talking about same price but saying on 18s he would not see such discounts.

Damn. My Touring with no packages/accessories was 25,500 sale price, 26,780 OTD. At the time, this was considered a decent deal around here. Prices were not budging much on 2014's.

You definitely get a lot more these days!

Last edited:
Texas baby.
My electricity bill was $43 bucks. I get gas for $1.98 - nothing screams awesome like screwing mother nature for cheap.
Plus mine was 2016 when Mazda feature packaging was bad. Who cares for sunroof - if you can get some safety or tech features.

Ha, OK, thanks for that. You had me feeling like I might have left $1000 on the table. As far as the sunroof, after 43 years in Ohio and Toronto but just now having moved to LA, the sunroof was a high high priority.

Also, side note, watching these sales people is hysterical. It reminds me of watching WWE wrestling with all the 'They're going to fire me for doing this' or 'I'm losing money on this but I needed to hit monthly quota'. So scripted and over the top theatrical. I stopped at a dealership in Glendale asking about Silver-FWD-PEP and they didn't have one. I mentioned that Santa Monica had one and the Glendale lady actually went in to her managers office, walked back out a minute later and told me that Santa Monica had sold theirs that morning. No They Hadn't!! ...just fantastic...

Ha, OK, thanks for that. You had me feeling like I might have left $1000 on the table. As far as the sunroof, after 43 years in Ohio and Toronto but just now having moved to LA, the sunroof was a high high priority.

Also, side note, watching these sales people is hysterical. It reminds me of watching WWE wrestling with all the 'They're going to fire me for doing this' or 'I'm losing money on this but I needed to hit monthly quota'. So scripted and over the top theatrical. I stopped at a dealership in Glendale asking about Silver-FWD-PEP and they didn't have one. I mentioned that Santa Monica had one and the Glendale lady actually went in to her managers office, walked back out a minute later and told me that Santa Monica had sold theirs that morning. No They Hadn't!! ...just fantastic...

LOL! Stealerships are indeed funny.

That's why I liked my sales guy. Did I get an amazing price? Not really, but at the time when I bought, 2014's were not seeing huge discounts around here. He didn't pull any of those tricks. Gave him real prices I had gotten from other dealers and they beat 'em. The only game was with the finance department trying to sneakily add on 2% to the deal. I caught that crap though.

It's like they think we're stupid. Oh really, you're going to risk getting fired? Sure...

Remember that dealership scene in Fargo? "Wow...we've never done this before.....We can knock off $100!"

(lol)

ColoradoDriver, you're spot on about the pricing back in 2014.People have definitely been getting more for their dollar in recent times.My 2014 touring fwd ,no packages,was 24,000 even selling price.No separate transportation fee, just tax, title and doc fee.Adding AWD (1250 option) to my price puts us real close.Wasn't elegible for mazda loyalty,military or recent grad discounts (about 500 each if memory serves).They offered 0.9% financing with no financing discount that I was aware of.

But the deal was smooth.The salesman was older and zero pressure or games.I'm the one who sold it to myself after 2 test drives and him explaining a lot of things about the cx-5.He knew his product.

Folks are getting some nice rides at nice prices these days.Oh well, when you need a car you need one.

ColoradoDriver, you're spot on about the pricing back in 2014.People have definitely been getting more for their dollar in recent times.My 2014 touring fwd ,no packages,was 24,000 even selling price.No separate transportation fee, just tax, title and doc fee.Adding AWD (1250 option) to my price puts us real close.Wasn't elegible for mazda loyalty,military or recent grad discounts (about 500 each if memory serves).They offered 0.9% financing with no financing discount that I was aware of.

But the deal was smooth.The salesman was older and zero pressure or games.I'm the one who sold it to myself after 2 test drives and him explaining a lot of things about the cx-5.He knew his product.

Folks are getting some nice rides at nice prices these days.Oh well, when you need a car you need one.

2014? This was 2013 :D

But agreed. The test drive immediately sold me the CX-5. Salesman was also zero pressure or games. Just questions answered when I asked them. Plus he let me take the CX-5 on the highway during my test drive, and gun it up I-70 heading up the mountains a bit. Sold me immediately (though I didn't buy for another week or 2).

About to buy a 2017 CX-5 Touring with the Preferred package and I want to hear it from others if it's a good deal...

Retail: $28,935
Sales Price: $26,930

Government Fees: $27.20
Doc Fees: $479

Total Sales Price: $27,436.20

Rebate: $1,000

Cash Price: $26,436.20

I live in Broomfield, CO and will likely buy from a dealer in Longmont, CO.

Back