CX-5 Parking brake malfunction

Well crap! I knew that there was something that else that I should have checked on while I had the wheels off! Do you know where exactly that stamp is located on the caliper? I just checked the built date as shown on the driver's door sticker. It says 8/16.

"The TSB says CX-5*s with VIN JM3 KE 600015 - 866136 are affected" My VIN falls within those numbers, it's near the end of that sequence but it is within it.
The lot number is stamped on the middle-lower side of rear caliper:

attachment.php

63A67CAD-860B-47C8-A05F-55ECE6528301.png

I post 2 related TSBs of this EPB dragging issue with links in post #52 above. TSB R052/16C still can be seen in the attachment of the post. Therere plenty of informations in there including the lot info I posted here.

My 16 falls in the VIN range and no problems. Was in for service couple weeks ago and all 4 brakes are fine. Somebody said it will affect all CX-5's in the VIN range but I'm not so sure. I don't let the parking brake snap off, I release it manually each time before putting the car in gear. I also apply it with the vehicle in park and my foot on the brake.
Just because your Mazda dealer says no problems it doesnt mean you have no problems on your rear calipers. The tech told me no problems on rear brakes when I took my CX-5 in for last warranty service and checking this EPB dragging issue based on the TSB is one of the items to check. But I pushed it to a master mechanic and asked him to check it in person. He agreed therere signs of dragging and replaced everything for me.

If you read the TSB carefully, youll find Mazda started to resolve this EPB dragging issue with firmware update by replacing the EPB control module, see TSB 04-005/16 in post #52 above. Apparently that couldnt resolve the issue and Mazda had to modify the ball and ramp which are part of EPB mechanism to improve the accuracy of screw threads. And this EPB mechanism is a part of rear disk caliper. Just like cylinder deactivation problem, Mazda would start with the cheaper way to fix with software update, but IMO Mazda has to physically modify the system so that the rocker arms wont fall off even if the oil pressure is changing out of the range.

So if you have original rear disk calipers, you will see some dragging problem until you get revised calipers. One Australian member was questioning my statement earlier, and he ended up needing new rear calipers for himself.

attachment.php

48D8BC33-FBB7-4BC3-929D-CD639D7E003E.png

Thank you Yrwei52!

Be assured, I am not questioning your statements on this. More like I'm hoping that this isn't going to be a problem for me. I certainly do NOT want to have to take my CX in to the dealership for this work and give them the chance to botch the job or to screw something else up.

Can you tell that I don't have a lot of confidence in the dealership's work?

Thank you Yrwei52!

Be assured, I am not questioning your statements on this. More like I'm hoping that this isn't going to be a problem for me. I certainly do NOT want to have to take my CX in to the dealership for this work and give them the chance to botch the job or to screw something else up.

Can you tell that I don't have a lot of confidence in the dealership's work?
Yes I understand fully of your concerns towards dealers work. I personally experienced so many, and I would prefer DIY for many things on my vehicles including a simple oil change because I dont have too much confidence in the dealership's work either. The most recent screw-up of a oil change on my Yaris by a Toyota dealer made me almost lost the engine. And I take my cars to dealers only for warranty work, and Ill do everything else including maintenance by myself. Oil change on Yaris is the first oil chang done by a dealer for many years, thats only because Toyota offers free 2-year maintenance for every new car.

Like you, I was having some doubts and afraid of the tech who would screw up something even if he agreed I have brake dragging issue described in the TSB. Luckily the tech screwed up some other things during the last warranty service, and I asked master mechanic to do the brake job in person since I can no longer trust the tech anymore. He agreed.

I'll have to pull a wheel off again to see what the date code stamped onto the caliper reads. I actually need to pull the wheels anyways as I'd like to lube the slider pins/bolts.

At this point I'm going to assume that my calipers are in the defective lot but as I said, I have zero issues with the rear brakes and the pads are wearing evenly. My warranty will be running out soon so what am I to do?

I'll have to pull a wheel off again to see what the date code stamped onto the caliper reads. I actually need to pull the wheels anyways as I'd like to lube the slider pins/bolts.

At this point I'm going to assume that my calipers are in the defective lot but as I said, I have zero issues with the rear brakes and the pads are wearing evenly. My warranty will be running out soon so what am I to do?
At this stage I believe you can try to bring up the TSB and ask your Mazda dealer with good relation to check the EPB dragging issue before the warranty runs out. If youre lucky like Kaps case you may get your rear calipers replaced based on the TSB without much symptom. If you cant, then just keep your eyes on the EPB watching for any dragging symptoms and rear disk pads. The worse case is your rear brakes locked up on the highway, but youve prepared this might happen. The cost to replace rear calipers, like $176.54 list for the left and $173.92 list for the right, plus motor seal kits and brake hose gaskets, is not outrageous like the LED headlights even if Mazda North American Operations refuse to cover your cost without warranty.

At this stage I believe you can try to bring up the TSB and ask your Mazda dealer with good relation to check the EPB dragging issue before the warranty runs out. If you*re lucky like Kaps* case you may get your rear calipers replaced based on the TSB without much symptom. If you can*t, then just keep your eyes on the EPB watching for any dragging symptoms and rear disk pads. The worse case is your rear brakes locked up on the highway, but you*ve prepared this might happen. The cost to replace rear calipers, like $176.54 list for the left and $173.92 list for the right, plus motor seal kits and brake hose gaskets, is not outrageous like the LED headlights even if Mazda North American Operations refuse to cover your cost without warranty.

I actually have pretty much no relationship with any Mazda dealers in my area. I purchased the CX from a Chicago dealer (1.5 hours away) and have never been back to see them, or any dealers for that matter...

I guess that I'll just have to keep an eye on the brakes and hope for the best.

Re-starting this thread! I have a similar problem with my emergency brake lights coming on. I just bought a used Mazda cx-5 from a mazda dealership in california. Car drove great during the test drive and the 75+ miles back to my house. However, 3 days later I found myself driving at dusk and when I went to turn on my headlights, both parking lights came on as well. Now, every time I turn on my headlights, regardless of the car being in drive or parked, both emergency parking brake lights come on and dont go away unless I turn the car and headlights off and start the car again.

This seems to be an electrical issue and i'm wondering if this would fall under a warranty? The car only has 39k miles on it as well...

Re-starting this thread! I have a similar problem with my emergency brake lights coming on. I just bought a used Mazda cx-5 from a mazda dealership in california. Car drove great during the test drive and the 75+ miles back to my house. However, 3 days later I found myself driving at dusk and when I went to turn on my headlights, both parking lights came on as well. Now, every time I turn on my headlights, regardless of the car being in drive or parked, both emergency parking brake lights come on and dont go away unless I turn the car and headlights off and start the car again.

This seems to be an electrical issue and i'm wondering if this would fall under a warranty? The car only has 39k miles on it as well...

Can you elaborate on what the emergency parking brake lights are? Are they icons on the dash?

Can you elaborate on what the emergency parking brake lights are? Are they icons on the dash?

Yes, I turn the headlights on and both emergency parking brake icons on the dash light up. When I put the car in park while it's still running to push the parking brake button down, nothing happens. I have to fully turn the car off. When I restart the car, the parking brake is fully engaged and only then am I able to release it with the icons disappearing.

I created an account on this site today to post in the hopes that it can help others in this situation. I had success this morning with getting Mazda to cover a large portion of the cost associated with this issue. I drive a 2016 Mazda CX-5 with 55,000 miles on it.
I had the same exact issue as the author of this thread and the same errors as posted in their YouTube videos: red BRAKE! light on dash flashing, P! lit up on the instrument panel, and the electronic parking brake (EPB) lever was flashing. This occurred when I went to get into my car after leaving it sitting for about 2 hours. I hardly ever use my parking brake and had not used it right before this happened.

I drove 0.5 mile home, the car drove fine, and I turned the car off and on again twice to see if the errors would go away. They did not. I took a video and picture of what was happening so I could show my dad and anyone at the dealership. I did a quick internet search and came across this thread. I called my dad and then the Mazda dealership, who told me to take it there so they could check it out as it sounded like the brake system was having some type of malfunction.
I went into my house to change clothes and grab a few things and was inside for about 15 minutes. When I got back into my car and turned it on to take it to the dealership, the error lights were off. I decided to take it to the dealer anyway because I didn't want it to resurface again later and potentially be driving a safety hazard in the meantime.

I went to the dealer, they were super nice and gave me a nice loaner car (2019 Mazda 3) since it is later in the day and they would have to look at it the next morning. I sent the service manager the video of what my car was doing since the error lights were off when I took it in. I went home and scoured the internet, going over this thread and anything else I could find so that this issue is hopefully fixed the first time and for minimal cost. I found out about the TSB related to this issue.

The service manager called me this morning and told me the EPB module needs replacing and it will cost me $700 after tax and all. I had read this thread so I was not surprised. I am a college age female and I think I might have surprised him with my knowledge about the TSB and asking him if the rear brake calipers showed any sign of dragging as this seems to be a common issue with the 2016 CX-5's. He told me that they were checked and did not show any signs of that, and reiterated that it is the EPB module that needs replacing due to whatever came up on their "tree" that they plug into the car to diagnose issues. He also told me there were no TPBs out for this issue. I didn't argue with him, but it makes me think that this dealership might not be aware of this problem. I asked him what the risks are for this problem and he told me that it could A. result in the parking brake being stuck "on" and leave me needing to get towed, or B. the EPB could engage at any time while driving, which creates a safety issue. He was very nice and I told him I would call my dad and get back to him.

Instead, I called Mazda's Customer Experience number and spoke to a very nice man. I told him that I love my car, haven't had any issues with it since I bought it last year, and have recommended it to family members. I told him about this problem, how the dealership had given me great service and a sweet loaner, and had quoted me $700 to replace the module. I told him about the TSB that might be related to my problem, and how the dealership told me themselves that my car's problem creates a safety issue. I emphasized that one of the primary reasons I purchased this car was because of its safety, and asked if they would be willing to cover even a portion of this expense since it creates a safety hazard. My car is out of the general warranty, but he was happy to help, called my dealership while I was on hold, and then got back to me in minutes saying that Mazda would cover a large chunk of it, and I only have to pay $143. I was so happy!
Before I was even off the phone with the Mazda rep, the service manager from the dealership had texted me saying they were ordering the part.

They are installing a new EPB module. Hopefully this solves the issue. It appears to have solved the issue for the author of this thread, and hopefully it fixes my problem, too. When I go to pick up my car tomorrow, I am going to ask him what happens if the issue recurs again after this new module is installed(fingers crossed that it doesn't).

If you are having this problem, I recommend you call and talk to Mazda customer service, being nice and telling them your situation and how it poses an immense safety risk. I hope your situation can turn out as well as mine has (so far-- we'll see if this is the true fix for my vehicle).

I will try to update again with any new developments. If I don't post again, you can assume that this fix worked.

Good for you, maddie.

It never hurts to ask. And you don't have to be mean to get results, huh?

Hey folks, I just had this problem this morning on my 2016 CX5 with 65k miles on it. It's been working fine and I never use the parking brake, but this morning as I was driving away I saw my red brake warning light flashing, my orange parking brake light steady on on the gauge, and my parking brake switch light flashing. I knew my parking brake wasn't engaged (wasn't slowing down at all) and my son had to make it to his college final exams so I just drove to work with it anyway. No problems on the way other than the light flashing. Over my lunch hour i decided to take a look at it. brake fluid was ok, about halfway between min and max. I tried setting the parking brake before I started the car thinking maybe if I set it, I can disengage it. Well it didn't want to disengage. I tried driving it down the parking lot a bit and could feel the parking brake slowing it down. I thought it was supposed to disengage if you hit the gas. Well I parked it again and decided to put it into brake maintenance mode (there is a youtube video showing the process) like when you're going to replace the rear brakes. After I set it, I took it out of maintenance mode again and the parking brake came off and so did the gauge and parking brake lights. whew!. I'll have to watch it, but maybe that will work again if it happens in the future. Hoping not to have to replace the EPB as I'm well out of warranty. Just thought I'd throw this out there in case someone wants to try it before taking it to the shop.

Last edited:
Its a known problem for 2016 CX-5. There're several TSBs for this EPB dragging issu

Hey folks, I just had this problem this morning on my 2016 CX5 with 65k miles on it. It's been working fine and I never use the parking brake, but this morning as I was driving away I saw my red brake warning light flashing, my orange parking brake light steady on on the gauge, and my parking brake switch light flashing. I knew my parking brake wasn't engaged (wasn't slowing down at all) and my son had to make it to his college final exams so I just drove to work with it anyway. No problems on the way other than the light flashing. Over my lunch hour i decided to take a look at it. brake fluid was ok, about halfway between min and max. I tried setting the parking brake before I started the car thinking maybe if I set it, I can disengage it. Well it didn't want to disengage. I tried driving it down the parking lot a bit and could feel the parking brake slowing it down. I thought it was supposed to disengage if you hit the gas. Well I parked it again and decided to put it into brake maintenance mode (there is a youtube video showing the process) like when you're going to replace the rear brakes. After I set it, I took it out of maintenance mode again and the parking brake came off and so did the gauge and parking brake lights. whew!. I'll have to watch it, but maybe that will work again if it happens in the future. Hoping not to have to replace the EPB as I'm well out of warranty. Just thought I'd throw this out there in case someone wants to try it before taking it to the shop.
Its a known problem for 2016 CX-5. There're several TSBs for this EPB dragging issue because Mazda didn't figure out what was the root cause in the beginning. Mazda started to replace EPB control module with software fix, then eventually have to revise the rear disk brake calipers. If you dont replace your factory defective rear disk calipers based on the TSB R052/16C which actually caused rear brake dragging and lock-up problems, your rear disk pads will prematurely wear out, or worse, the rear brakes may totally lock up on the highway which of course is a major safety issue.

TSB 04-005/16: Noise from Rear Brakes Due To Brake Drag

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

2016 rear brake TSB resolution

So how exactly does the dealer determine "evidence of dragging"?

I'm assuming that they can't if you catch it early. The only way is if a disc brake is wearing too fast. Which means that you have to run it dragging for umpteen miles.

On my next new car, I hope they introduce a package that lets me buy the upgrade to a manual EBrake. This is the dumbest never needed technological "innovation" ever made.

So how exactly does the dealer determine "evidence of dragging"?

I'm assuming that they can't if you catch it early. The only way is if a disc brake is wearing too fast. Which means that you have to run it dragging for umpteen miles.

On my next new car, I hope they introduce a package that lets me buy the upgrade to a manual EBrake. This is the dumbest never needed technological "innovation" ever made.
Read the TSB R052/16C via the link I posted earlier it has very detailed info of diagnostic info for Mazda technicians. In my situation it brought to my attention when the first related TSB (couldnt find it now) showed up. But its only applicable to the customers in cold area, and my Texas Mazda dealer couldnt do anything on it. When TSB 04-005/16 came out it loosed up the cold area restriction, and the resolution is still a software fix, the EPB control would get replaced. I waited until my new car warranty almost up and took my 2016 CX-5 in with 10 problem areas for warranty repairs and TSB checks. TSB 04-005/16 was one of them. The Master Mechanic eventually agreed with my argument of different thickness between inner and outer rear pads and replaced rear disk brake calipers、rotors、and pads.

TSB 04-005/16 actually has very detailed info even with color pictures describing the cause of the EPB dragging issue. Based on description I believe every original rear caliper on 2016 and some 2016.5 CX-5 before the revised caliper started available for production will eventually have problem of EPB dragging or even lock up due to the tolerance issue during manufacturing. Those here questioned my statement at the time eventually found they started to have EPB dragging issue and needed revised rear calipers.

Unfortunately youre going to get EPB in most of new vehicles due to the space saving nature on center console. EPB can be operated like a manual EPB, just pull the switch up and hold to engage the parking brake, and release the switch to release the parking brake. Electrical parking brake certainly is not a necessary technological innovation, but it definitely isnt the dumbest one IMO as it does offer convenience, especially with Hold feature. The dumbest never needed technological "innovation" ever made on my list? Many should have guessed it, the cylinder deactivation! ;)

I'm way past my warranty mileage. I want to change my rear calipers myself but I can't seem to find new ones anywhere? Can someone put me in the right direction to buy all the parts required to change the rear calipers on my 16 cx5?

I own a 2016 CX-5 sport model that is a manual 6 speed, so I use the parking brake every single time I park, and of course when on an incline, I put it in gear. Anyhow, back in late November, I took mine to a local mechanic to replace the rear brakes at around 46k miles. Now less than 2 months later, the EPB has failed. I had two incidents in the same day where when I started the car, the brake wouldn't release and the warning lights were blinking. I had to restart the car multple times before it would disengage. After the second incident, I drove straight over to the Mazda dealership and as it was the end of the day, I had to wait and take a loaner. Anyhow, the next day, after having to call in their field tech/engineer because the in-house tech couldn't diagnose the problem, they reported that the calipers were damaged and blamed it on the mechanic who replaced the brake pads, saying he failed to put it into service mode. I contacted the mechanic who did the brake job, and he said it is not possible to replace the pads without putting it into service mode. However, what I don't know is if he correctly followed the warning not to turn the piston thing, which needs some special tools to remove. The Mazda service rep insists that the calipers got damaged and stripped during the brake service and allegedly this type of issue with the brake seizing doesn't present itself right away, which I find hard to believe.
So now I'm stuck with having to pay over $1000 for a repair. I am pissed! I am still arguing with the service rep and am about to demand to speak to their manager.

Last edited:
I'm way past my warranty mileage. I want to change my rear calipers myself but I can't seem to find new ones anywhere? Can someone put me in the right direction to buy all the parts required to change the rear calipers on my 16 cx5?
Mazda uses the same part numbers for both revised left and right rear brake calipers. The difference is the 3-digit lot number / production date code stamped on it. See post #61 above and the TSB for details on all parts needed for the caliper replacement.

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Back