2017 CX 9 Customer Reviews

Again, check the specs comparison I posted above. Sorento has more space except the cargo. Mazda better fix the cx9 given their abysmal sales.

The point is it's an inch here or an inch there. The interior space differences between these two are negligible. So to declare one practical the other not is absurd. And for this reviewer to praise the Sorento's practicality after noting the CX-9's "lack of space" takes away all credibility.

My main beef other than the lack of features is that the car is really small inside compared to outside. Outside proportions are like a Chevy traverse and are largest in its class and interior space is not much more than a cx-5. Check the volume. What is there between all the empty spaces beyond the interior panels???? Also the front hood is so long that it can fit two of those 2.5l engines.

hey hi, yes the outside its a bit larger than the inside, although there are some reasons for this. The engine bay is pulled to the cabin so the center of weight comes near to a 50/50, this helps on the handling performace in very significant ways. So yes, this suv is not entirely thought as a shoe box , it is more an suv made for the driver and his/her family where every one will enjoy . You want a shoe box? there are other options which are great for that but u can forget about the pleasure of driving, its all about physics. Said this, to make a high performance car you have to make a lot of sacrifices, lets say for example an aston martin rapide is 502cms while the cx9 is 506.. u think aston martin engineers made that car that size because they wanted to? I'm not saying the CX9 is a performance car, what I'm saying its the first SUV thought to be pleasurable to drive and to have an amazing performance in handling braking and driving in general, ahh and yes itll fit the whole family in comfort .

Last edited:
hey hi, yes the outside its a bit larger than the inside, although there are some reasons for this, engine bay is pulled to the cabin so the center of weight come nearer to a 50/50, this helps on the handling performace in very significant ways. So yes, this suv is not entirely thought as a shoe box , it is more an suv made for the driver and his/her family. where every one will enjoy.

The Mazda CX-9 described in a nutshell right here. If you arent looking for an involved and enjoyable driving experience, I urge you people complaining about practicality look elsewhere.

Bottom line, why should Mazda do what everyone else is doing? If there's a dozen 3 row's in the segment, shouldn't there be a company that perhaps makes a fun alternative?
It may not be the most roomy box but neither are Porsche and Jaguar SUV's. So why does a Porsche SUV exist, you might ask. Then you see Porsche sells more SUV's than cars.

Then why Mazda sales are abysmal?

It probably has something to do with marketing, but the brand image of Mazda just seems to be lacking. I was speaking with a friend who told me that he would rather buy a Chevy impala over the Mazda 6. I asked him why and he couldnt give me a definite reason. Told me that the interior isnt nice. I show him the 2017 interior to which he says its beautiful, and I go on to explain that the Mazda is far better tuned and engineered and better put together, but people just wont trust the brand, I dont know why.

Ive heard many stories where someone was just about to buy a Mazda 6 for his wife or whatever, and end up buying some piece of garbage Chevy Malibu instead as if theyre trying to play it safe or some nonsense.

But Mazda is moving upscale now, and their vehicles are starting to have precense and look nice on the road. They are doing better in terms of sales like with the Mazda 3 and cx5 so the future is still looking somewhat positive for them.

CX5 sells five times as many a month as CX9, seems like there is a justifiable market for sport 2 row SUV's. IMO CX9 is a sport 3 row done just as well, but maybe the market is just too small for such a beast no matter how well you do it. 3row customers want space, not handling. I guess.

Maybe they SHOULD be doing what everybody else is doing for sales' sake.. for selfish reasons I'm glad they don't.

https://1ijylmozio83m2nkr2v293mp-wp...ntent/uploads/2017/07/June-Sales-1024x514.jpg

Last edited:
Takes a long time to change brand image in people's heads. Once someone thinks a certain way about a brand, it sticks. There has to be a very strong marketing push to even get people to take a look. Hyundai and Kia launched the long warranty to accomplish this. They never would have grown like weeds if not for that. Their brand image up through the '90's was trash. Now they're highly respected although still not by everyone.

Takes a long time to change brand image in people's heads. Once someone thinks a certain way about a brand, it sticks. There has to be a very strong marketing push to even get people to take a look. Hyundai and Kia launched the long warranty to accomplish this. They never would have grown like weeds if not for that. Their brand image up through the '90's was trash. Now they're highly respected although still not by everyone.

I respect a brand based on its overall engineering, build quality, chassis, suspension and drivetrain tuning which Mazda excels at especially as of recent.

The average buyer respects a brand based by how many features the car has, unfortunately.

When is Mazda going to bring back the minivan? MPV skyactiv and kodo style!

When is Mazda going to bring back the minivan? MPV skyactiv and kodo style!

Theyre not going to make another minivan, highly doubtful of that.

Looks like they dropped the kodo front haunches on the cx5 and cx9 for the sake of cleaner lines.

The point is it's an inch here or an inch there. The interior space differences between these two are negligible. So to declare one practical the other not is absurd. And for this reviewer to praise the Sorento's practicality after noting the CX-9's "lack of space" takes away all credibility.

To be fair, it's not just one poster here saying that interior space is below the class standards. This is in every review I've read; and add to the fact that the opposite was true of the 1st gen--plenty of space and a more useable 3rd row.

The Mazda CX-9 described in a nutshell right here. If you aren’t looking for an involved and enjoyable driving experience, I urge you people complaining about practicality look elsewhere.

Silly. The % of people looking for an "enjoyable driving experience" in this class, or almost any class other than sports cars, is minimal. Mazda will die a slow death if that's all they cater to.

To be fair, it's not just one poster here saying that interior space is below the class standards. This is in every review I've read; and add to the fact that the opposite was true of the 1st gen--plenty of space and a more useable 3rd row.

Did you miss the part about how this is a Sorento comparison? The Sorento sells like hotcakes and has less room throughout most of the cabin except for the front seats which are a bit more spacious. Yet it is a practical choice, the CX-9 is not. The other best seller, the Highlander, has less leg room in 2nd and 3rd row and less cargo behind 3rd row than CX-9. But it too, is far more practical. Both also have less ground clearance, but they are more practical.

Silly. The % of people looking for an "enjoyable driving experience" in this class, or almost any class other than sports cars, is minimal. Mazda will die a slow death if that's all they cater to.

A lot of people want nice driving dynamics, but it's just a matter of where it fits into priorities. It's too bad more companies can't do what they're doing while also making their vehicles more fun to drive. I guess it's not easy.

Isn't BMW's main selling point driving dynamics? It certainly isn't reliability, interior quality, or resale value. Yet they run close to Mercedes and Lexus sales in the US as the top luxury brands.

Did you miss the part about how this is a Sorento comparison? The Sorento sells like hotcakes and has less room throughout most of the cabin except for the front seats which are a bit more spacious. Yet it is a practical choice, the CX-9 is not. The other best seller, the Highlander, has less leg room in 2nd and 3rd row and less cargo behind 3rd row than CX-9. But it too, is far more practical. Both also have less ground clearance, but they are more practical.

I'm 6'4" with shorter legs and longer torso vs. average and I was considering the Sorento and was going to drive one today, but the driver's seat headrest is way too low and dug into my back or neck depending on what setting I used, so we skipped the drive. Also even with the seat down all the way I was too close for comfort for headroom in the sunroof model. I fit great in CX-9 and also most of the other cars in the class. Ended up taking home the CX-9 Sport today. We checked out a Highlander, but I thought the 3rd row sucked and the pricing was really high so didn't drive it. Santa Fe felt kind of loose and weak on the road, and wasn't impressed with the interior (cloth trim, I forgot which one exactly). Exploder XLT was totally underwhelming with the V6, felt a class heavier than everything else and the interior was small. Sienna AWD had tons of room, but it was just too lame.
The other contender was a 2018 Traverse LT Cloth which is an awesome all around vehicle that anyone who wants more room should check out, but we don't really need the extra size and ruggedness, and the pricing from Mazda was significantly lower.

Hit the nail on the head. Mazda needs to start making practical cars or they will remain forever bottom feeders.

Hit the nail on the head. Mazda needs to start making practical cars or they will remain forever bottom feeders.

Again, how are they not practical?

So if Mazda becomes everyone else, there's no longer a driver's choice in the mainstream segment? That would be pretty sad when there's such an immense market. It should be clear that Mazda isn't trying to be Toyota. They're niche and that's fine. It's not all about sales. Lamborghini doesn't sell many cars, doesn't mean they need to build a Camry fighter.

Back