Why get AWD?

I think it's because when you look at the data there is no correlation to lower incidences of collisions or reduced injury from AWD vehicles. I know intuitively it seems like it should be. But the data just isn't backing that up. In fact I usually see more 4wd and AWD in the ditch during snow storms here. Mainly due to driver overconfidence. Now something like electronic stability control is a safety feature and there is evidence of that. But intuitively someone who knows how to drive might think it's reducing the capabilities of the car at the limits. Which it is.

I think what you are implying is that there is no good data to show that people in AWD vehicles gets in less accidents than those with FWD or RWD vehicles. The insurance may be linked to the driver as well. When looking for my son, the cost to insure a AWD CX-3 was higher than a FWD CX-3. Not by a lot but higher.

Yea that's probably most cost of the vehicle. It looks like as posted above there is at least some data correlating. Hopefully IIHS can look into this further as that could be interesting.

5000 miles shouldn't matter much at all. Just move a rear tire up front, put the new tire up front, and the "old" other front tire out back. Should be just fine and equal out in another 5k. If you know which tire your car "drives" hardest, put the new tire there. Typically it's either the left or right, different for each model, I believe.

I have 20 or 30K on a 50 or 60K set of Michelins. I got a flat and took it into America's/Discount Tire. They said it may not be reparable, and if not they would replace it under warranty (don't ask, I normally wouldn't pay for warranty). They would only pay for one tire, and my model was discontinued, so it would be a different tire. They insisted that there was no problem with the mismatch, either in tread or wear. This on a FWD Acura sedan. Of course, they are biased.

I just went through this with my wife's old Subaru that I've been driving till it dies or the diesel CX-5 gets here. Blew a tire on the highway and an exact replacement wasn't available any more. I don't know exactly how many miles were on the set of tires, I'm guessing maybe 20k, so I assumed I'd have to replace all four. I looked up Subaru's spec tolerance for tire diameter and it said up to 2/32" difference in tread depth is acceptable. I measured the tread depths of the remaining three tires and compared it to the spec tread depth of the closest available replacement which was 7/32". Measurements across the three tires were all between 5/32" and 6/32" so I only replaced one tire. I did what Unob suggested and rotated the least worn tire from the rear to the front and put the new tire on the other front.

Thank-you!
It's not closed on yet, but it's looking like the deal is solid so far. The house is in SW MO. Here are a few more photos.
14vmu0x.png

n3snyw.jpg

I wanted to be away from people

jason.jpg

I gotta tell you... I never ran snows until last year and even in the cold sub 40F /4.4C on wet rainy streets you will see improvements in launch & emergency stop traction. I keep good following distance too but you never know what a side street might offer up.

EDIT: So sold on having winter tires I found a steal of a deal for factory rims on my GX and gonna put some on that rig as well for the winter. I do travel mountain passes almost every weekend though in the winter.

This.

Unless I start heading to the mountains, there's zero reason for me to buy winter tires here in Vancouver.

Most of the people I see having problems in snow/ice are with poor stopping decisions anyway (not enough space, applying too much brake etc). They'd have the same problems with or without snow tires or front/rear/AWD.

Thank-you!
It's not closed on yet, but it's looking like the deal is solid so far. The house is in SW MO. Here are a few more photos.
14vmu0x.png

I wanted to be away from people.

Place looks awesome and nice land! I just started watching Ozark on Netflix. Great show. Guess you are a little SW of there.

Late to the conversation, but AWD or 4 wheel drive is a must up here in snowy Ontario.
Snow tires are a must as well, and are actually legislated as compulsory in Quebec. No all seasons up here.
I have a 2002 pathfinder 4X4, and run winter tires on it. Makes a huge difference.
After a bad snowfall, before the plows make it down our way, I run the Pathfinder up and down the street making tracks for everybody.
Sometimes I'm the only one who can make it through.
I've pushed or dug out a ton of FWD SUV's out here. They are useless.

One thing I love doing when it's snowy, is stopping at a red light, and then having some grocery getter SUV, or a hot shot in a Civic, pull up beside me.
The road ahead narrows down to one lane, so they all think they can beat my old truck when the light turns green.
Surprise. The 4X4 system grabs traction with all four wheels, and I literally jump out of the snow when the light changes.
I am miles ahead, and when I look in my mirror, the Civic (or whatever it is), is still going sideways trying to get traction. I love it.

Last edited:
Late to the conversation, but AWD or 4 wheel drive is a must up here in snowy Ontario.
Snow tires are a must as well, and are actually legislated as compulsory in Quebec. No all seasons up here.
I have a 2002 pathfinder 4X4, and run winter tires on it. Makes a huge difference.
After a bad snowfall, before the plows make it down our way, I run the Pathfinder up and down the street making tracks for everybody.
Sometimes I'm the only one who can make it through.
I've pushed or dug out a ton of FWD SUV's out here. They are useless.

One thing I love doing when it's snowy, is stopping at a red light, and then having some grocery getter SUV, or a hot shot in a Civic, pull up beside me.
The road ahead narrows down to one lane, so they all think they can beat my old truck when the light turns green.
Surprise. The 4X4 system grabs traction with all four wheels, and I literally jump out of the snow when the light changes.
I am miles ahead, and when I look in my mirror, the Civic (or whatever it is), is still going sideways trying to get traction. I love it.

haha love it. Love doing the same thing. Even in the rain, I love when a big ol truck pulls up besides me. They just stomp it and I all I hear is those tires spinning. Meanwhile I hit it pretty hard, and just go. I don't know if I can ever own another vehicle without AWD.

I gotta tell you... I never ran snows until last year and even in the cold sub 40F /4.4C on wet rainy streets you will see improvements in launch & emergency stop traction. I keep good following distance too but you never know what a side street might offer up.

EDIT: So sold on having winter tires I found a steal of a deal for factory rims on my GX and gonna put some on that rig as well for the winter. I do travel mountain passes almost every weekend though in the winter.

Yup, they do help with colder temp pavement traction (largely due to remaining more pliable at lower temps) and 'real' snow you'd encounter far more often in mountain passes.

What they don't particularly help with is poor cold weather driving habits (following to close, sudden steering/braking inputs etc) and ice (and/or wet snow) which is the main problem in areas that get some but not much snow as you run in to far freeze/thaw ice and slippery wet snow issues. It's not like the nice, dry snow folks get in the prairies down here. That stuff's easy as pie to drive in.

You put yourself in a position you need to slam on your brakes and make sudden steering inputs, while on ice, it's not going to particularly matter what tires or 'drive' you have.

If I have to pick one or the other to get up an icy hill or a snow covered side road in a city that doesn't get much snow and the snow it gets is largely wet and freeze/thaw ice...I'm going with AWD. Obviously, both are better but I'm not sure the tires are worth the cost for 1-2 weeks of now at most a year if you're not making regular mountain trips.

I never thought I'd need awd and now I find myself in a field at the end of miles of mud filled tracks.

lol, just get awd.

Same here. When I had my Audi A4 Quattro with all-seasons, I used to do this on wet roads a lot. The Audi had decent power with the 1.8T manual and I could really launch it while the other guy spun his FWD or RWD tires.

My later experience was that my BMW 325i with winter tires was better in the snow than the A4 with all-seasons. I already have winter tires for our FWD Mazda 3. Of course, the ultimate would be AWD plus winter tires, but frankly, where I live in SE Michigan, it's been a long time since we had a severe enough winter to make it worth the expense and hassles. Also not so important now that I'm retired and don't have to be anywhere on schedule any more!

BTW, we were in Quebec City a few weeks ago and I can't see how you'd get up some of those hilly streets, winter tires or not!

Same here. When I had my Audi A4 Quattro with all-seasons, I used to do this on wet roads a lot. The Audi had decent power with the 1.8T manual and I could really launch it while the other guy spun his FWD or RWD tires.

My later experience was that my BMW 325i with winter tires was better in the snow than the A4 with all-seasons. I already have winter tires for our FWD Mazda 3. Of course, the ultimate would be AWD plus winter tires, but frankly, where I live in SE Michigan, it's been a long time since we had a severe enough winter to make it worth the expense and hassles. Also not so important now that I'm retired and don't have to be anywhere on schedule any more!

BTW, we were in Quebec City a few weeks ago and I can't see how you'd get up some of those hilly streets, winter tires or not!

RWD BMW's are wonderful in the snow.

Back