Curb parking - touch and feel

Question Curb parking - touch and feel

Here is what the Side-view Camera looks like on a 2017 Japanese Mazda CX-5 XD L Package 4WD. You'll be the judge if this missing feature would help you for much more precise curb-side parking without rubbing your sidewall of your tires (or worse, your expensive wheels) as you can see your rear tire related to the curb, no more guess work or touch-and-feel!

To the left of the Side-view Camera button is the button switch for integrated Front/Rear Parking Sensors (totally different from Rear Parking Sensors sold as a dealer-installed accessory in the US) which displays a graph showing all objects near your 4 corners and it's very useful for parking at a tight place. This feature can serve similar function as 360 View Camera which shows actual visual. I hope some member here such as Anchorman can post pictures of Integrated Front/Rear Parking Sensors so that people have never experienced this feature realize how useful it is while parking!

Any device which can help drivers seeing surrounding area more clearly near our vehicle and eliminate any guess work is a big plus helping us parking the vehicle safely under any circumstance. One single parking accident by misjudgment could be costly!

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_9953.PNG IMG_9950.PNG

Last edited:
I have trouble opening the attachments. Thanks.
If you can see two pictures for Side-view Camera within the post, that's the attachments. I usually post attachment's URL as a image so that people can see the picture directly without extra clicking to attachment. Not sure why the attachment itself doesn't work after that ⋯ (uhm)

Or you could just use your backup camera. I don't understand anyone saying this isn't helpful?!?
da38f4e3f5d5acc7bfe7176b78fad2af.jpg
ab4d24de501ebbd0384590382d0cd77b.jpg

Perfectly aligned, every single time, never touch the curb.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I stand (sit) corrected. The back-up cam can assist in parallel parking after all. I always use my side mirror to adjust my alignment with the curb.

Can't see any attachments yrwei52, none.
Ok, so let's summarize the thread for op.
- Yes the backup camera helps greatly in parking.
- some countries have even more features to help with this.
- people used to not need help with this stuff. What did we do then?
Personally, I scratched the s*** out of my rims. Haha. I've never been great at parking. Except head in parking.

Can you guys see the pics now? I hope so as I can see those without problems!

Last edited:
Or you could just use your backup camera. I don't understand anyone saying this isn't helpful?!?
da38f4e3f5d5acc7bfe7176b78fad2af.jpg
ab4d24de501ebbd0384590382d0cd77b.jpg

Perfectly aligned, every single time, never touch the curb.

Looks good. Personally I like to put the yellow line on top of the curb so the car touches the curb because I live in SF and streets tend to be narrow!

My question is in using the back up camera, how close can I get to the bumper of the car behind me without touching, is it the red line?

The red line is just about 19 inches form the back bumper. So you can cross it but not by much. And if you're on a hill, like in San Fransisco, that can make it shorter. If your butt is pointed uphill, longer if pointed downhill.

- people used to not need help with this stuff. What did we do then?

Personally, I scratched the s*** out of my rims. Haha. I've never been great at parking. Except head in parking.
I've been doing the same thing! The sidewall imprints on the tires are all not recognizable due to constant rubbing against the curb while parking! And I also scratched a couple of alloy wheels with low profile tires. I have had more parking accidents than any other moving situations! I want all the devices, Back-up Camera、Side-view Camera、360 View Camera、Front/Rear Parker Sensors so that I can eliminate any guess work while parking. I've seen a CUV having side-view cameras on both sides in Asia. It'll get turned on either side automatically synchronized with your turn signal. That's a great feature especially in the crowded traffic with narrow road area in Shanghai!

The red line is the distance that you can park and still open the rear hatch. The slightly curved dark area at the very bottom (under the writing) is actually your rear bumper so you can directly see how close you are to the car behind you.

No issues here with the attachments

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You'll be the judge if this missing feature would help you for much more precise curb-side parking

Thanks for the pictures, no more 'invalid attachment' errors.

Although I don't have an issue using the backup camera, I welcome any technology that will make our life easier, so yes, this feature is highly desirable, though not critical. (If we're saying no to a new feature simply because we've been doing fine without, for decades, we would be left with less fun, or even less excuses to visit this forum. After all most of the new functionalities are to enhance our driving comfort and convenience and not considered critical strictly speaking.)

Here is what the Side-view Camera looks like on a 2017 Japanese Mazda CX-5 XD L Package 4WD. You'll be the judge if this missing feature would help you for much more precise curb-side parking without rubbing your sidewall of your tires (or worse, your expensive wheels) as you can see your rear tire related to the curb, no more guess work or touch-and-feel!

To the left of the Side-view Camera button is the button switch for integrated Front/Rear Parking Sensors (totally different from Rear Parking Sensors sold as a dealer-installed accessory in the US) which displays a graph showing all objects near your 4 corners and it's very useful for parking at a tight place. This feature can serve similar function as 360 View Camera which shows actual visual. I hope some member here such as Anchorman can post pictures of Integrated Front/Rear Parking Sensors so that people have never experienced this feature realize how useful it is while parking!

Any device which can help drivers seeing surrounding area more clearly near our vehicle and eliminate any guess work is a big plus helping us parking the vehicle safely under any circumstance. One single parking accident by misjudgment could be costly!

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 216472 View attachment 216473

Note quite similar to 360 degree view as it only shows one side of the car but I get your point.

Front and rear integrated means installed at factory.

Here is an image of front sensors for Touring model and above here in OZ:

Capture.png

Not really as the curved nature of the camera only helps with what is behind you. Not how close the curb you are. It was easier on my Mazda3 to guesstimate how close I was, but the land boat that is the CX-5 with 19" rims? That is another matter.

Note quite similar to 360 degree view as it only shows one side of the car but I get your point.

Front and rear integrated means installed at factory.

Here is an image of front sensors for Touring model and above here in OZ:

Capture.png
Found some posts by Anchorman of his factory integrated Front/Rear Parking Sensors and Back-up Camera. The rear parking sensors incorporates with back-up camera on the same screen. I remember I saw someone showed the infotainment screen with graph for front parking sensors too! I really wish we can have these features in the US! Notice even the Back-up Camera function is more sophisticated than ours as it features not only a static blue guideline like us, but also an additional dynamic yellow "predicted" guideline depending on your steering wheel angle!

The front sensors are integrated into the rear camera so it generates an image of the front and back sensors on the screen that drops out at about 3mph. Cars with HID headlights must have headlamp washers but not LEDs, don't ask me why!
The parking sensors show up on the rear camera screen too but no headlight washers and no rear camera washer as you can see!

IMG_2821_zpsssibhuhb.jpg
The front sensors come on automatically immediately after having reversed OR they can be manually operated from a button on the dash. When you drive off they go off at about 5mph or you can push the switch again.

Found some posts by Anchorman of his factory integrated Front/Rear Parking Sensors and Back-up Camera. The rear parking sensors incorporates with back-up camera on the same screen. I remember I saw someone showed the infotainment screen with graph for front parking sensors too! I really wish we can have these features in the US! Notice even the Back-up Camera function is more sophisticated than ours as it features not only a static blue guideline like us, but also an additional dynamic yellow "predicted" guideline depending on your steering wheel angle!

Correct. I have this setup in my Mazda 6 with the exception of the curved predictive lining.

The reason we get the full kit is we have front sensors as a standard fitment from the factory from Touring model upwards on most variants including the CX-5. Rear sensors are standard across the range.

I will say I've had a couple decades of backing up trailers and such..but I will also take all the help I can get as well. Parking sensors show up on nav like that on my GX.

This thread is hilarious, can't you use your mirrors or do you still reach around the seat and physically look backwards out the back window.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back