Spark Plugs at 40k?

:
‘16 CX-9 GT
Im far from an expert, but doesnt 40k miles seem very early for spark plug replacement in a 2016+ model? Thats what the service manual calls for. Seems crazy to me. The dealer just quoted me $250 for parts and labor. That also seems crazy.

The owners manual calls for plug changes at 40k miles. I was commenting that 40k seems exceptionally early for that.

Go to the dealership only for warranty repairs or repairs too complex for an independent shop. Any shop can do spark plugs, and it'll be much lower cost than the dealer. You know the dealership will also try to scare you into additional repairs as well.

40k would also be a good time to drain & refill the automatic transmission for owners who expect to have their car for a few hundreds of thousands of miles. Modern ATF is probably good for 100k. Draining and refilling changes something like 40% of the fluid, so doing it periodically will keep the fluid fresh and protective.

The owners manual calls for plug changes at 40k miles. I was commenting that 40k seems exceptionally early for that.

OH. Well in that case I agree with PTguy with regard to finding a decent independent to do the work.

The markup at the dealership is insane for mundane maintenence for things like plugs etc.... The upsell pressure and the rest of the general noise there is almost criminal. I really do believe it's much worse now in service since the internet more or less removed the ability to rake people over the coals on the sales side. They just moved the source of the shady dealings to the back of the shop so they can continue to squeeze people.

When compared with other similar TURBO direct injected motors, Mazda's recommended maintenance at 40K miles may seem low. Most likely they would have no issue making it to 75k miles. However, misfires can cause so much damage, I think this is a good place to heed the factory recommendations.

We should be seeing a lot of the forum members 2016 CX-9 2.5 Turbo's needing plugs now, it will be interesting to see the visual condition of the plugs upon removal.

OH. Well in that case I agree with PTguy with regard to finding a decent independent to do the work.

You buy a car that depreciates at around $5,000 a year. You pay what, $1,500 a year for insurance? You spend $2,000 a year on gas. You probably spend hundreds more on car washes and parking and accessories and such. And you worry about paying the dealer $100 extra for service work once a year? Come on, guys, not every dealer is a crook, and the work he does is guaranteed.

I'm not a shill for dealers, but I think this whole thing about going to indies is overrated.

Good feedback, gents. Thank you! My local mechanic I trust (his wife has a last gen CX-9 & he does honest work on my old Chevy pickup) said it would take him 30 min of labor to do the plugs. The Mazda OEM plugs are $22/each. I didnt find much else for aftermarket options when I did a quick search.

Good feedback, gents. Thank you! My local mechanic I trust (his wife has a last gen CX-9 & he does honest work on my old Chevy pickup) said it would take him 30 min of labor to do the plugs. The Mazda OEM plugs are $22/each. I didn*t find much else for aftermarket options when I did a quick search.

So about $133 or so at a shop that you trust. Sounds like a win to me and that also sounds about in line with what it should be for a simple 4 cylinder engine. It'll likely take longer to get the engine cover and coils packs off than it will to remove/replace the plugs.

Apparently proprietary plugs for this engine. No listing on either the NGK nor Denso web sites for plugs for this engine. Check the on line vendors for the Mazda PY8V18110, and hunt for the vendor that doesn't gouge too much for shipping. Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
so i've been researching and that instead of using the expensive ass oem spark plugs, NGK has made one for our cars. part #LTR6IX-11, i might get those instead of the oem ones.

Yes I would but I'm at 50k miles on the car and my CPO warranty expires at 53. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get the ngk!!!

LTR6IX-11 6509 is for 2016 mazda cx-9 2.5T according to advanced auto website and numerous others as well! I'll stick with NGK over any brand plug. As it is tried and true many times over!!

You buy a car that depreciates at around $5,000 a year. You pay what, $1,500 a year for insurance? You spend $2,000 a year on gas. You probably spend hundreds more on car washes and parking and accessories and such. And you worry about paying the dealer $100 extra for service work once a year? Come on, guys, not every dealer is a crook, and the work he does is guaranteed.

I'm not a shill for dealers, but I think this whole thing about going to indies is overrated.

Agreed!

We should be seeing a lot of the forum members 2016 CX-9 2.5 Turbo's needing plugs now, it will be interesting to see the visual condition of the plugs upon removal.

So, I had my sparkplugs replaced yesterday at 40.4k mi. I*m glad I heeded the service schedule here. The ribs were badly cracked on one. My mechanic said they looked like 100k plugs & was very surprised they came out looking this bad this soon. He figured it might be related to the serious heat this engine produces. I*ll attempt to upload a picture.

I bought the plugs through Werner Mazda*s online site for $22.24/each. My guy charged me $75 for the labor, so I was out a total of $164. Saved a bit over dealership prices.

I*m struggling to upload pictures from my phone. Never felt like such an old man...

Last edited:
Changed my sparked plugs at 51k, it was a DIY, easy peazy to change. Save me some cash from stealership

Back