2017 CX-5 drl question

What about this?

attachment.php

What setting is that on?

Because it looks like an extension of the headlight beam going down to where the DRL is supposed to be

This is what non DRL CX-5 looks like (Maxx Sport, 2nd from bottom of range):

image.jpg

Rear added to show that the first image is with parker (low beams) on:

image.jpg

DRL's are only available here on GT and Akera

That happens when the car is off and you pull the headlight switch toward you. It turns the lights on like this for a few minutes.
I was just showing that the headlight can come on without the halo, so the halo should be able to be programmed to come on without the headlight.

That happens when the car is off and you pull the headlight switch toward you. It turns the lights on like this for a few minutes.
I was just showing that the headlight can come on without the halo, so the halo should be able to be programmed to come on without the headlight.

That is light to show your path as you leave the vehicle. Forgot the name as I don't have the USA/Canada/Mexico manual with me at this time.

In essence its basically the headlights and subsequent area coming on.

So what do the non-led drls look like on a 2017? Any pics yet?
Since there're no more low-intensity halogen high-beam serving as DRLs, I believe the low-beam LED headlights now serving as DRLs for 2017 non-GT CX-5's. That's why the wiring iterated into GT and the low beams become the DRLs although GT has dedicated Signature DRLs. I think this is again the cost issue. Mazda North American Operations specs this way to avoid wiring changes for low-beams on GT and simply just "add" the dedicated Signature LED DRLs to the DRL circuitry from non-GT. (whistle)

Since there're no more low-intensity halogen high-beam serving as DRLs, I believe the low-beam LED headlights now serving as DRLs for 2017 non-GT CX-5's. That's why the wiring iterated into GT and the low beams become the DRLs although GT has dedicated Signature DRLs. I think this is again the cost issue. Mazda North American Operations specs this way to avoid wiring changes for low-beams on GT and simply just "add" the dedicated Signature LED DRLs to the DRL circuitry from non-GT. (whistle)

That's bad decision making considering they advertise in the brochure led DRL for GT

Yrwei52 - remember, Mazda explicitly states LED headlights on all 2017 CX5s. Wouldn't that imply the drl is halogen on non GT since they go out of their way to mention LED drls for the GT? (uhm)

Yrwei52 - remember, Mazda explicitly states LED headlights on all 2017 CX5s. Wouldn't that imply the drl is halogen on non GT since they go out of their way to mention LED drls for the GT? (uhm)

^^^

This makes sense.

What? Come on now. Filing a complaint with NHTSA. LOL!
When DRL's first came out, do you know what they were? Your HEADLIGHTS. Mazda isn't breaking any laws or rules but not only illuminating the DRL part.

Last edited:
What? Come on now. Fling a complaint with NHTSA. LOL!
When DRL's first came out, do you know what they were? Your HEADLIGHTS. Mazda isn't breaking and laws or rules but not only illuminating the DRL part.

Then perhaps they shouldn't differentiate it in their brochure (scratch)

We need to make a poll to get feedback from 17 owners. Including the compensation / dissatisfaction. I have a mazda 17 test drive event in Dallas on 6-7 May. I can point this big flaw out to all Lookers. Buy the 16.5 if you can. This is very​bad.

We need to make a poll to get feedback from 17 owners. Including the compensation / dissatisfaction. I have a mazda 17 test drive event in Dallas on 6-7 May. I can point this big flaw out to all Lookers. Buy the 16.5 if you can. This is very​bad.

You should also have a look at any at Sport or Touring models at that event (if any) and see how their non led DRL's operate including type of bulb.

I found the part number for the Japanese "Daylight Kit" B62T V7 790
B62TV7790.JPG

Still not sure exactly what it does and looking for installation instructions. It has an off switch, which is a little strange. Roughly $150 from some Japanese sites.

デイライトキット
LEDポジションランプを常時点灯させます。エンジンONでLEDポジションランプのみが点灯し、
メーターやモニターは減光せず、テールランプも点灯しません。
●25,056(消費税抜23,200[)HQ4A]
● 本体 17,280(消費税抜16,000)B62T V7 790
※OFFスイッチ付

I found the part number for the Japanese "Daylight Kit" B62T V7 790
B62TV7790.JPG

Still not sure exactly what it does and looking for installation instructions. It has an off switch, which is a little strange. Roughly $150 from some Japanese sites.

デイライトキット
LEDポジションランプを常時点灯させます。エンジンONでLEDポジションランプのみが点灯し、
メーターやモニターは減光せず、テールランプも点灯しません。
●25,056(消費税抜23,200[)HQ4A]
● 本体 17,280(消費税抜16,000)B62T V7 790
※OFFスイッチ付

Could be DRL option for lower specced models in Japan that don't have standard led DRL (scratch)

I don't think so, because if you order this kit, the harness will work with the signature grille illumination kit. The daylight kit and grill illumination kit are actually sold together in one kit if you want them both. So it seems like some sort of upgrade, just not sure what it does yet.

I don't think so, because if you order this kit, the harness will work with the signature grille illumination kit. The daylight kit and grill illumination kit are actually sold together in one kit if you want them both. So it seems like some sort of upgrade, just not sure what it does yet.

Interesting.

I've tried to access Japanese CX-5 brochure to read their specs but their website wants contact details so they can mail it out. Reason being, wanted to read (with help of translator) what model range they have and their specs. DRL's would surely be mentioned.

I wonder how many people are going to get pulled over for not having their tail lights on at night because of this. This seems like a serious safety issue if there is no measurable difference between "DRL" and full headlight light output.

Leave the selector in Auto? That's what we did with our 16. My wife would leave the lights selector on "on" all the time. They shut off by themselves.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back