What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I guarantee you are introducing swirl marks into the finish. If you don't see them it's probably because the finish was swirled already and you can't see the additional swirls. And believe me the LARGE majority of cars at shows have swirled paint just like everyone else. If you haven't had a full on paint correction done to the car then there is almost certainly marring and swirls to some degree. I have seen a California car duster demonstrated on freshly corrected paint. It left the paint with marring after it was used (correctly) the first time. And Japanese car paint is notoriously on the soft side which means it swirls up even easier than other, harder paints such as from German makes.

Agree 100%. I had one of those smaller California Dusters and used it on my black Honda Accord. The first few times I used it, I was happy that it got the dust off of my car, but this was before I knew what a difference a polish and wax could make. I washed, polished, and waxed that same car shortly after and the difference was night and day. A few days later it was a little dusty, so I used the CD again and it caused a bunch of swirl marks.

This is one of those things that is going to differ from person to person. If you just want a clean car and don't care about some minor swirl marks (usually not as visible on bright coloured cars like white), then CD away. But if you want the car to look the best that it can, stay away.

Got some outstanding news today.

Police called me back today. They found the traffic cam footage of the lady who hit me. Thing is, she hit two more people after me and she stopped. Got tickets, reports, the whole shebang (I think she should have her license revoked). So when the police reviewed the camera footage, they knew exactly who hit me and called me back with her name, phone number, insurance carrier (Progressive), and her policy number.

Claim filed! Now for some estimates...

Great news (and very lucky indeed)! Hopefully there was no damage to the tire sidewall either. In fact, since there was damage to the wheel, it might be a good idea to get the alignment checked out just in case.

Somehow I missed your first post and didn*t know you got hit-and-run accident weeks ago.

You*re lucky indeed. Wife also involved a hit-and-run accident a while ago. A car slided into my wife*s car in freezing winter and he stopped and checked out the damage. He asked my wife if she got hurt and she said no. He told wife he*s going back to his car getting the insurance card. Instead he simply just sped away. Wife saw the plate number and reported to police. The police by our surprise didn*t want to do anything about it as nobody got hurt. They also refused to check license plate number tracing the car owner so that we could file insurance claim against him. This*s Richardson PD so people in DFW area know.

That's horrible. Sounds like lazy policework. I'm really happy I have a dashcam, provides a little more peace of mind just knowing it's recording everything. I would have flipped out on the police if they told me they weren't going to follow up, you're basically on the hook because they won't look it up. Utter nonsense.

We tried. But our State Farm agent at the time told us nothing he could do on this either.

It's not my place to say, but when I worked with my agent (him and his wife, nice folks), they bent over backwards with contacts in the proper departments at the particular police department to help get me what I needed.

But also sounds like a pretty lazy police department, so maybe truly nothing to do. :(

I just installed the OEM illuminated door sill plates. Pricey, but worth it IMO. Ordered a set from MazdaSwag.com for $314.69... 21% off list price of $399.95

For those who are interested, here are the Installation Instructions. No wiring required. They use batteries and are activated by a magnet installed on the underside of each front door. Rear sill plates do not illuminate.

I just installed the OEM illuminated door sill plates. Pricey, but worth it IMO. Ordered a set from MazdaSwag.com for $314.69... 21% off list price of $399.95

For those who are interested, here are the Installation Instructions. No wiring required. They use batteries and are activated by a magnet installed on the underside of each front door. Rear sill plates do not illuminate.

What kind of batteries? Seems expensive to be battery powered.

oh man it's battery operated??? all this time i thought it was hard wired!
This install should take no longer than 30min right?

It took me longer as I was very methodical about placement. There are six provided templates that you should cut out and tape down to ensure proper placement. Correct magnet placement with respect to the front sill plates is key to activating illumination.

oh man it's battery operated??? all this time i thought it was hard wired!
This install should take no longer than 30min right?

My dealer thought the same thing and wanted to charge me $600 labor to install them. Crazy! When I told them that there's no wiring involved, they were incredulous and said that they were just telling me what their accessories guy told them. I let them know they were ill informed and I shared the OEM instructions. Haven't heard from them since.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

OEM Sill Plates: $275 for a 16. (Says 17 but if true, wouldn't it be up to 19 too)?

Love my sill plates.

Despite what the Ebay listing says, they are NOT compatible with 2017+ CX-5s. Also, this listing only includes the two front illuminated sill plates.

If you want OEM sill plates for 2017-2019 CX-5, I suggest you check them out at Mazda Swag here. Includes set of four (two front illuminated and two rear non-illuminated).

Thought my inner CV boot ripped but then I noticed the clamp (somehow) is missing

Despite what the Ebay listing says, they are NOT compatible with 2017+ CX-5s. Also, this listing only includes the two front illuminated sill plates.

If you want OEM sill plates for 2017-2019 CX-5, I suggest you check them out at Mazda Swag here. Includes set of four (two front illuminated and two rear non-illuminated).
Yeah totally didn't think it was for 17. And yes it's only the front sill plates. Didn't notice yours had the rear too. I thought 399 was hella pricey for just the fronts.

Left her at the Mazda collios center. A deer jumped out in front of my wife today. New hood, bumper, grill and windshield are def. needed. I am sure they will find more when they open the hood. Possibility of a new headlight(s), fender(s) and a-pillar/door frame too.
05a51bb6db78b534766877a1c48f43a9.jpg
31401299193af383a1b682da26dc0271.jpg
3bdef757b4ed27d68ccdc41b6d5320e5.jpg
d8ebe0da918c4f586696462d0a7b8722.jpg

Left her at the Mazda collios center. A deer jumped out in front of my wife today. New hood, bumper, grill and windshield are def. needed. I am sure they will find more when they open the hood. Possibility of a new headlight(s), fender(s) and a-pillar/door frame too.
05a51bb6db78b534766877a1c48f43a9.jpg
31401299193af383a1b682da26dc0271.jpg
3bdef757b4ed27d68ccdc41b6d5320e5.jpg
d8ebe0da918c4f586696462d0a7b8722.jpg

Yikes, glad you all weren't hurt (hupefully?).

My dealer thought the same thing and wanted to charge me $600 labor to install them. Crazy! When I told them that there's no wiring involved, they were incredulous and said that they were just telling me what their accessories guy told them. I let them know they were ill informed and I shared the OEM instructions. Haven't heard from them since.

haha yeah that's crazy!
i'm going to be doing the same as well ;)

probably safe to say 1hr of labor is good?

Yikes, glad you all weren't hurt (hupefully?).

Wife is a little shaken up and sore but otherwise ok. She was the only person in the car when it happened.

Ouch, that will be an expensive fix. How is everybody involved, including the deer?

Body shop manager did say it wouldn't be a total loss but I'm sure it will be up there. My guess would be $7-8K? The deer ran off so I have two theories. He passed away a little later or met up with his buddies to collect his $20 for completing the dare to cross the road? (rlaugh)

Gave it a good hand wash for the first time in a while. Popped the hood and pulled the engine cover off for the first time since my dad has owned it, there was all kinds of leaves and debris sitting on top of the valve cover, so I got the shop vac out and sucked that all up. Then topped up the washer fluid. Once we get a little further into spring I'll do a more thorough detailing on the whole car.

Well CV boot is ripped, right at the reducing area. Put some silicon RTV around it while I wait for a replacement in the post.

Back