A Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

Maybe use a car bra instead. Covers up the front including the headlights

Wouldn’t stop them getting dirty would it? Actually, I had a bit of fun with an approaching BMW who seemed to want to threaten me with his king of the road led headlights last night. He soon backed off when I demonstrated my main beam back.

+1 on the heated steering wheel. Test drive a Ford explorer sport this weekend and it had that. Jeez that is one nice feature. I enjoyed it that much that I want it now lol

Why - don't ask for it. I did it and got beaten up here. How? The response was: use gloves, store them in that "same name" compartment.

The headlights on mine get filthy in this horrible cold damp weather. I think headlight washers would be a useful addition.

Actually I had to physically clean mine during this snow storm number of times. I can live with it but 1 item I think is really required. I know you do not have it in your car, but I have: It's this darn emblem in the front grille which has sensors behind it. Too many times my dash lit up and I had to clean it. Once - on a clear road/day my adaptive cruise wasn't functioning good till I cleaned it. Frankly - from a safety standpoint having some sort of washing is highly recommended. Here's why - cry foul here but if one has these features: SCBS/SBS we start to slowly depend on it. There's no substitute for good judgement but if these features fail because of dirty emblem - its a problem.

The headlights on mine get filthy in this horrible cold damp weather. I think headlight washers would be a useful addition.
Mine get filthy too. They've never been so filthy as to impair the brightness. I stand by what I said after over a decade of driving 5 different cars with these features.
Gimmick.
[emoji16]

Mine get filthy too. They've never been so filthy as to impair the brightness. I stand by what I said after over a decade of driving 5 different cars with these features.
Gimmick.
[emoji16]

of course salt and dirt impair brightness! i could barely see the road paint on my way home last night... headlights are absolutely covered in crud (mine are HIDs, but the LEDs on my CX5 were no different).

That was MikeM. He's long gone. I doubt many miss his condescending attitude.

I guess I'm in the minority! He was a breath of old-school fresh air in weird way- stop being such pampered millennial snowflakes, put the big boy pants on and take your lumps ya faigs:)
That being said heated/ventilated seats FTW haha!

I guess I'm in the minority! He was a breath of old-school fresh air in weird way- stop being such pampered millennial snowflakes, put the big boy pants on and take your lumps ya faigs:)
That being said heated/ventilated seats FTW haha!

i found him oddly amusing... but he seemed to rub a lot of folks here the wrong way (hence my comment).

he also had a habit of defending every single Mazda decision to a fault... which seemed a bit goofy.

I think the headlight washer delete may be due to the fact that LED headlights don’t produce enough radiant heat to prevent the lens from just icing over. HID and halogen both produce significantly more heat. I’ve heard about this issue with LED street lamps too when they replace those metal halide ones in areas that get a lot of snow.

I want vented seats 1000x more than a heated wheel..heated seats are on probably every day the ac isn't.. probably 90ish%. But for that other 10 ass coolers please!

That's what I thought until my wife bought a vehicle with both.

The ventilated seats are nice, but as long as the AC works well I don't think the vented seats make a big difference. When switching from her car to my car in the summer, I don't really miss them. My wife's new car is also our first one with a heated steering wheel, and I'm hooked.

The first vehicle we owned with heated seats was a 2000 Jetta GLX, and that spoiled us. Even when I bought a Focus ST, I had to have them. The Focus' heated seats are awesome because you start to feel warmth in just 1-2 minutes and they are nicely warm in ~5 minutes. In really cold weather (<10F) they start to warm you much faster than the cabin air heater.

But given recent experience, I would give up heated seats and ventilated seats before I would give up a heated steering wheel. I'd much rather have warm hands and a cold bum than vice versa.

Wouldn’t stop them getting dirty would it? Actually, I had a bit of fun with an approaching BMW who seemed to want to threaten me with his king of the road led headlights last night. He soon backed off when I demonstrated my main beam back.
(lol)

For me it's always Lexus, everyone of them bright my eyes, I wonder if they leave factory like that.

of course salt and dirt impair brightness! i could barely see the road paint on my way home last night... headlights are absolutely covered in crud (mine are HIDs, but the LEDs on my CX5 were no different).
We're you drinking? (lol). Of course, I'm joking.
Fine. 99.9% of the time they are a gimmick. I had Saab ones, and Volvo ones. Gimmick I say.
The wipers were super cute though!

Last edited:
That's what I thought until my wife bought a vehicle with both.

The ventilated seats are nice, but as long as the AC works well I don't think the vented seats make a big difference. When switching from her car to my car in the summer, I don't really miss them. My wife's new car is also our first one with a heated steering wheel, and I'm hooked.

The first vehicle we owned with heated seats was a 2000 Jetta GLX, and that spoiled us. Even when I bought a Focus ST, I had to have them. The Focus' heated seats are awesome because you start to feel warmth in just 1-2 minutes and they are nicely warm in ~5 minutes. In really cold weather (<10F) they start to warm you much faster than the cabin air heater.

But given recent experience, I would give up heated seats and ventilated seats before I would give up a heated steering wheel. I'd much rather have warm hands and a cold bum than vice versa.

I'm up in the air about the air conditioned seats. I used them a few times this past summer on the really hot days, and it felt, well, kinda "pervy". Almost like something was misting the bottom of my legs. I'm sure I'll get more used to them in due time.

Further, like you noted, air conditioned seats need to have the air warmed up or cooled down for them to work, whereas simply heated seats use an embedded element that to me seems to heat up faster than air. Both the heated seats in our CRV and ex-CX5 heated up within 1-2 minutes, far faster than the vehicle heater. However, the seats in my Infiniti do seem to heat up a bit faster than the regular heat coming from the vents.... not sure if its just in my head or really the case. Haven't compared the warm-up time for heated versus heated/cooled seats either.

I've never had a heated steering wheel, but like most things, I imagine once you've had one you'd hate to not have it moving forward.

We're you drinking? (lol). Of course, I'm joking.
Fine. 99.9% of the time they are a gimmick. I had Saab ones, and Volvo ones. Gimmick I say.
The wipers were super cute though!

i was mainly pointing out the poor/reduced visibility due to the salt and sand. i do agree, i always thought that headlight wipers were a bit gimmicky, and most of the ones i saw looked like they were broken, or wouldn't really function all that well. probably a better idea than the actual application.

We won't be getting heated steering wheel as part of the 2018 update I believe

You guys don't really need it. Ventilated seats would be more helpful for those 40+ heat waves.

You guys don't really need it. Ventilated seats would be more helpful for those 40+ heat waves.

Except for the poor folks down south where some mornings start at below 0C!

But yes ventilated seats please :D

Yeah, those poor souls in Canberra. Colder than in Hobart IIRC.

But there were two days last week where I drove to work in temps below -20C. And we get up to 35C in the summer. I enjoy winter sports, but I really do miss Sydney's climate.

Back