Mp5 luggage carrier assembly query

:
Mazda Protege5
I have 2002 MP5. When I bought it from prev owner I removed the luggage carrier cross bars as had no need for them then plus it had been cannibalized to make it fit.
Now I want it back on and have put it together, figured out what parts I need and that they are hard to come by. However my main question, before I bother trying to source the parts, is what's the deal with the 9" gap in the rear carrier rail after installing the rear crossbar and the two little covers that go at either end of the rail gaps. I found a photo online that shows the gap and exposed rail (ignore the arrow). If left like that I can imagine rain will penetrate the carrier rail holes and leak through to the cabin. Or am I worryingly about nothing?
The parts schematic does not show any cover or insert that would protect that area - as far as I can see anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 170
those are so you can adjust the rear rail and slide it to where it fits whatever you are hauling up there. All roof racks have them, though there are usually little arrows or triangles that show you where to leave the rear cross bar when you are not using it. The marked locations will have the least amount of wind noise driving down the highway. I don't know about the ones on the p5, i've never moved mine or taken it off, but some cars get some pretty nasty harmonics if you have them in the wrong locations.

Thank you for your very helpful reply!! That makes sense now you explained it and I feel stupid for asking. I couldn't remember it looking like that 4 years ago when I took it off the car.

Dropping the headliner to bolt the rails back on will be fun. Save your delete strips, those are hard to come by also. I have delete strips & rail covers to remove just the crossbars. Haven't ever removed the rails completely tho.

Thanks for the advice but I left the rails on, just took the luggage carrier crossbars off. However I if I get a respray I will need to take the carrier rails off myself to save on labor costs and I have seen a video on that so I appreciate it's a bit of a 'mare. Yes, I have my delete strips thanks. Now I just need two more parts to complete what I need to reinstall the luggage carrier crossbars. If any one knows where I can source them then I'd be willing to pay a fair price.

BN5W-51-5G1A

is top rear RHS mounting bracket cover (black plastic piece for rear luggage carrier crossbar)

plus

BN5W-51-T22

is rear LHS sliding rail end-cap (little plastic cover for sealing front end of the rear sliding rail)

BN5W-51-T12 (RHS).

Back