A/T Tires over stock 17's

drewbis1

:
Mazda CX-5 AWD
I drive my CX-5 AWD deep into the backcountry for hiking/mountain bike trails. Often the roads are really rough and the stocker tires have a hard time getting traction. I'm looking into an A/T tire, something a little wider. 235/65/r17 should wrap right over the stock 17's just fine, but has anyone tried a 245/65/r17? I know the Falken Wildpeaks and Toyo Open Country are rated for 7"-8.5" rims, but I'm wondering about real world applications on our cars. I'd likely do a 20mm spacer kit front and rear as well. If it's too close to call, I might just get some 17x7.5" or 8" wheels to go along. Thoughts?

Drew

I could be completely wrong here, but wider may not be as necessary as a more aggressive tread pattern. Have you talked to one of the tirerack reps about your needs? I bet they could steer you in the right direction or st least give some ideas.

Just took a quick look, Pirelli Scorpian are an on off road tire, the only one i saw that sort of matvhed your wants.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. You are correct, tread pattern is very important, the extra width can get more contact patch on the ground, which is also beneficial. But the real benefit for going to 245 width is just the increased offerings in AT tires in that size.

I run 245/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. They measure an overall diameter of 29.5"

17x8 +30

I don't have any major issues with rubbing. The only area I notice rubbing is when making Uturns and it is very minor.

Back