Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

Hi joe6864,
You just confirmed by consulting with your insurer, what I wrote in another tread: "LED failure" guessing what the consequences could be.
Thanks.
joe6864 is in Canada and his country has mandated DRLs. You cant turn DRLs off there as its against the law, of course itd affect the insurance too.

In US DRLs are not required by US DOT, the insurance doesnt care whether you turn your DRLs on or off. At least my insurance doesn't care.

joe6864 is in Canada and his country has mandated DRLs. You can’t turn DRLs off there as it’s against the law, of course it’d affect the insurance too.

In US DRLs are not required by US DOT, the insurance doesn’t care whether you turn your DRLs on or off. At least my insurance doesn't care.

Interesting that it's not required in the US... I didn't know that!

Interesting that it's not required in the US... I didn't know that!

yep, the Feds do not require US cars to have DRLs. If US cars get/have DRLs, it is because the mfgr chose not to alter that part of the car from sister markets. Because there is no set standard, there is nothing specifying what bulbs constitute as a DRL and many makes do it in many different ways...

Some use the low beam. Some use the high beam. Some use a dedicated DRL light. Some use LED marker lights. Some use the turn signal light. And some use light from Venus reflecting off of swamp gas...

Thanks for posting those instructions. Although I just want the halo and accents lit -- I guess OFF will really mean OFF then.

I did provide this type of feedback to all those surveys I've been getting with the car. Hopefully they look at them.

Thanks for posting those instructions. Although I just want the halo and accents lit -- I guess OFF will really mean OFF then.

I did provide this type of feedback to all those surveys I've been getting with the car. Hopefully they look at them.

There's kits in Japan that just lit halo as a DRL.

Check DRL thread(s) as a member here has purchased and installed them

Thanks for the info.. will check it out.

Also, is it the same procedure to restore DRLs?

Just did it and it works. This is on a 2017 CX-5 GT.

OFF is now everything completely off regardless of speed.
AUTO is same as before.
PARKING LIGHTS now actually does light up just the halo and accents without the main headlight.
HEADLIGHTS is same as before (full low beams).

Just did it and it works. This is on a 2017 CX-5 GT.

OFF is now everything completely off regardless of speed.
AUTO is same as before.
PARKING LIGHTS now actually does light up just the halo and accents without the main headlight.
HEADLIGHTS is same as before (full low beams).
Good to know

Anyone in Canada try this? I've tried it a couple of time, but unsuccessful every time.
Because DRLs are mandatory in Canada and I dont believe Mazda would let you turn the DRLs off which is against the law.

did it to my 2017 CX5 GT.

off- everything off

auto- everything off but headlights still comes on at night automatically.

parking- just halos and tails. during the day i can see why the halos are not considered drls. they are barely noticeable because they are so dim.

headlights- turns everything on.

In Canada federal law says that the car must be delivered with working DRL's (if so equipped) when it is sold. After it is sold, the owner can disable them. (In ontario anyway.)

Last edited:
Took about a thousand tries, but it finally worked! Really did not like them on with the sun out, much better now. Even though there is a setting in the infotainment to dim them, they are still way too bright on the dimmest setting.

Took about a thousand tries, but it finally worked! Really did not like them on with the sun out, much better now. Even though there is a setting in the infotainment to dim them, they are still way too bright on the dimmest setting.

(2thumbs)

Back