How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

What are you looking for with the test drive Xtrailman? I have the same conclusion as Jonno. My current model is a base model with cloth, I test drove a "revolution" as they call it here, the leather was particularly nice, it's a nice dark soft leather, rather than the shiny black leather I am used to from previous cars (Golf R32). The new centre console is very nice, much wider, gives it a more up market feel and look, the leather knee rests topping it off. The arm rest was much more comfortable since it was softer, although I must say that the lower spec model I also tested with cloth arm rest was not good at all so the material covering seems to make a lot of difference. The lower spec had horrible carbon fibre imitation panels everywhere and a brushed alu along the dash which looked a bit cheap and tacky. Electric hand brake was good, I don't use the handbrake much so rather that and have some extra space. Saw the reflections in the mirror, but it soon didn't bother me anymore. Side mirrors didn't shake, rear view didn't shake, bonnet was stable, no creaking, no jumping out of gears, all good! The one I'm getting has a sunroof which I love.

I test drove an auto 2.5l too, but that wasn't for me, nice to try it out though. Would have loved to have tried one in manual, probably never happen though.

Thanks junno21

Hi Xtrailman

Better late than never I can report back on a test drive I had on 11th May of the 2015 (2016 U.S) model year. It was a 2.2 175 Sport Nav manual AWD built in December 2014 according to the seat belt labels and my findings were:

Good
Engine seems quieter.

Lot less wind noise at speed.

Tyre noise reduced.

Manual gearchange very slick

Generally seems more solid.

Display screen clearer

Electric handbrake works well which I prefer to manual handbrake.

Suspension seems about the same.

Not So Good

Annoying reflection of the air vent silver trim in the side window over the door mirror. You have to "look past it" to view the door mirror.

Ironically, I had gone back to my supplying dealer on the Isle of Wight whilst we were on holiday as I'd got the oil level rise approaching the "x" mark. The oil and filter were changed as a "goodwill" gesture as nothing showed up when plugged into the computer. The service manager did say that some dealers were overfilling the oil. I had the previous service carried out at a well known East Midlands dealership in Loughborough who are now multi-franchise but used to deal with Ford exclusively.(sssh) I can only assume they had overfilled the oil? Anyway, it seems to be behaving now. Long story short I was given the 2015 model as a courtesy car for the day and drove all around the island giving it a good workout. If I had the dosh I would have one now but got to save up first(sad1)

Cheers

Jonno21

What are you looking for with the test drive Xtrailman? I have the same conclusion as Jonno. My current model is a base model with cloth, I test drove a "revolution" as they call it here, the leather was particularly nice, it's a nice dark soft leather, rather than the shiny black leather I am used to from previous cars (Golf R32). The new centre console is very nice, much wider, gives it a more up market feel and look, the leather knee rests topping it off. The arm rest was much more comfortable since it was softer, although I must say that the lower spec model I also tested with cloth arm rest was not good at all so the material covering seems to make a lot of difference. The lower spec had horrible carbon fibre imitation panels everywhere and a brushed alu along the dash which looked a bit cheap and tacky. Electric hand brake was good, I don't use the handbrake much so rather that and have some extra space. Saw the reflections in the mirror, but it soon didn't bother me anymore. Side mirrors didn't shake, rear view didn't shake, bonnet was stable, no creaking, no jumping out of gears, all good! The one I'm getting has a sunroof which I love.

I test drove an auto 2.5l too, but that wasn't for me, nice to try it out though. Would have loved to have tried one in manual, probably never happen though.

Mainly I really dislike the tiny sat nav screen, so I'm hoping the new 7" one is good.
I understand it gives a mirror image of a smart phone, is that correct?

When I took the car back for the oil level I took time out to look through the showroom, saw a Kia soul in red which looked really good inside and out, fitted with a huge screen display, looked around 10".

More power and torque would have been nice, more of both I would certainly change, I'm also wanting to go auto but with at least 8 gears, so what do I want? well probably something that Mazda don't offer.

My son takes delivery of a new Mazda 3 in September 2L petrol, he pointed out that Mazda offer an extended warranty, so that's also an option.
If the car is noticeable improved that would also determine which route I take, remember I tow a caravan and have a full set of spare wheels. So another CX-5 would be sensible, tow bar can be transferred and wheels should still fit.

Also I usually change at 4.5 years old, but I'm not brave enough to keep a Mazda out of warranty. A Nissan yes I've had 4 up to 4.5 years with no breakdowns or failure.

Last edited:
In CH you normally have to fight for any price discount or freebie added on....not now. The 2 year extended warranty making 5 years is free with every CX-5, some garages are offereing 6 years. I also got a 500 discount for staying with Mazda, a 500 discount for staying with a CX-5 and a few other discounts (due to the Euro - CHF battle).
I am not that much in to gadets, I used the Tom Tom a few times to find places and sometimes left it on map view while just driving about, found it pretty useless compared to my Garmin Nuvi. Can't comment on the new system, looked quite a bit different in my short test drive, seemed more stable ie. the map was jumping around and spinning, trying to work out where you were. German forum reports it's a bit better but still has bugs.

Would love a 10" screen, I like the design of the Mazda 2, same as my mates BMW 320d, the CX-5 design is a bit naff but I can live with it.

Not sure why you want 8 gears, with enough torque even 7 is overkill. Fifth gear were commenting on why you would ever need 8 gears in their last episode.

I also wouldn't run a CX-5 out of warranty, so also plan to keep it just under the 5 years. I'm sure if you came close to shaking hands on a new deal but turn it down saying the warranty isn't long enough, they would soon throw it in for free to make the deal.

Isn't the fob battery covered under the 3 year warranty?

I have the warning up and have asked the garage to change it.

Battery itself not covered, and only cost a few pence.

My notification came up at 35 Months, so not time related and both fobs were showing as replacement needed. Suspect batteries the deteriorate, just like the ones for my camera, hence both need attention.

Went on Youtube found a link to http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-CX-5-Key-Fob-Battery-Replacement-Guide/index.html Very handy and there is no programming involved.

Alex

A few days after my new scereen was finally fitted i received a letter from autoglass saying that Mazda recommend the systems sensors attached to the top of the windscreen (scbs etc) are recalibrated after a new screen is fitted. I rang UK CS and they spoke to the technical team who said that there was a procedure to do it so i went to my local dealer to see if they knew what to do. I spoke to a technical guy from the workshop who explained that they have done the procedure a few times (mainly to try out) on their own cars and had never needed to do an adjustment. He said it may need doing if the windscreen was in at a slightly different angle to the original, but he had never seen any that need adjusting. He said the testing took about 40mins to set up the test so it would probably cost around 100 and in his opinion it didn't need doing unless there was a warning on the dash so i didn't bother in the end. While i was there i got him to change the key battery, which he did but he charged 7.50 (bit steep). I then bought another battery in Boots for3.00 and changed the one in the spare key fob so should both be ok for another 2 years.

Fob battery was changed FOC during service, I was told, and I no longer see the low battery warning since service, but if I do I'll let you know.

They also said the scbs was checked ok, but I'm not sure about that.

Dear all

Just a quick open ended question for a bit of advice on the below please ?
Always appreciate the help that we've shared since 2013 when I got my Sport Nav 2.2 and be interested in your thoughts as I think we're a well balanced group of people here................., so many thanks in advance !

Had the CX-5 since September 2013 and the birth of my first born son, love the car and bar it being slightly noisy at speed, it's a cracker.
My wife and I found out at the beginning of June that we're expecting twins at the beginning of December ............ so since then I've been doing the dutiful job of working out all the practicalities etc so move or extend the house, stay or run off to Nepal to become a shepherd etc etc
I've solved the vast majority of the issues but I cannot come close to working out the car situation !
In December I'll have the twins and my son will be 29 months old.
We do 10-12.5k a year, so not a lot of mileage.

Options:
a) sadly lose the CX-5 and the depreciation over two years will mean I could have leased it cheaper but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Go and buy a brand new motor i.e. new s-max (Poss but Ford), XC-90 (Lovely but too expensive), Land Rover Discovery (Hmmm and too expensive), Sante-Fe (not sure) or other ??

b) again let the cx-5 go and buy a second hand one of the above but will downgrade on the standard of car in my opinion.

c) Keep the CX-5 and get the roof rails and roof box for the times that we'll travel with all the stuff we need.
But can I get three kids across the back of the CX-5 in relevant car seats ? Pretty sure the new twin pram will fit in the car for day to day travel.
What options are there for the roof rails and boxes ?
This option might get me through another couple of years when I can save up and get the new XC90 second hand ?!

Let me know your thoughts if you like and genuinely stuck, it's doing my head in !!

Many thanks

None of those cars mentioned are much bigger than CX5 so i would keep what you have and maybe put on roofbox for holidays etc. I assume its legal to have a child seat in the centre position.

re the roof box. Had the same model CX5 then as you. I had a need to travel with 2 large dogs, wife, daughter and bike to Scotland and couldn't fit everythingin, so bought Thule roof rails, box and bike roof rail carrier. Bought all the same make for compatibility
Good fit, Loads of space - easy and quick to fit and unfit - after you've done it once !! Didn't impact too much on mpg and have used quite a few times since with and without the bike carrier.
This was June 2013 Here's the stuff I ended up with. Got it from roofbox.co.uk. Don't know if there have been model changes etc. Hope this helps !
TU753 - Foot Pack: Thule Rapid System Fixpoint XT low feet (4) no. 753
1 x 68.95 = 68.95
TU3069 - Adapter Kit: Thule Rapid System 'Fixpoint' adapter kit no. 3069
1 x 30.00 = 30.00
TU961 - Thule WingBars: Thule Rapid System 118cm WingBars (2) no. 961
1 x 74.00 = 74.00
FS200-OFFER2 - Free HANDY strap: Free Fasty 200cm HANDY strap 340kg no. FS200-OFFER
1 x 0.00 = 0.00
TU6202S - Medium-wide roof box: Thule Motion 200 gloss silver roof box no. 620200
1 x 339.95 = 339.95
TULB01 - Our unique lock matching service for Thule locks: Please delete this line if you do not wish to participate
8 x 3.00 = 24.00
FS131 - Free box hoist: Fasty BOX HOIST - Roof Box Company
1 x 0.00 = 0.00
TU591 - Roof mounting bike carrier: Thule ProRide aluminium cycle carrier no. 591
1 x 84.95 = 84.95
TU8006 - Roof box accessory: Thule Go Pack Set no. 8006
1 x 88.95 = 88.95
DELST03 - Standard 2 to 3 working day delivery (GB mainland, roof boxes / bike boxes)
1 x 9.50 = 9.50

Had a test drive today in an auto the lower trim version. Quite liked it but the average read out was only mid 30 mpg.

So those that do have the auto preferably in 175ps sport trim AWD, what sort of average read out do you see solo and if possible towing.

Also found the interior much classier and the nav screen much improved.

mine is the 175 awd sport auto. I mainly only use the car for long runs and rarely do local trips in it but my average after a few regens and a few hundred miles is usually around 42mpg. If i am driving light load and no regens ata fairly low road speed (50mph average speed cameras) i can see 50+ mpg but a bit of normal driving or a regen soon sees it drop to mid 40's again. I would imagine with a more mixed type odf driving with some traffic and acceleration i would imagine it would be around 38-40. I dont tow with mine so cant say what figures would be towing.
When you had your test drive did you reset the average mpg? if not then it will include other peoples driving as well. If you did reset it when you went out then i expect that you only drove a few miles and the number of accelerations and stopping would have been much more as a proportion of miles travelled than would be in normal driving. I think you need to get at least 10 miles of mixed driving to actually get a truer mpg average, but preferrably more. Good luck with your search for a new car, think the new cx5 would be a good choice as they can only be improved and i am still pretty impressed with how mine drives, with the good torque and power and general smoothness. I find it much nicer to drive than my sons RR Evoque which i drive sometimes and they cost around 45k, although i suspect off road the RR would be the better performer.

Thanks Rockingham 38-40 is ok for me as I only do around 7K a year.

I did reset the average but as you say the reading was up and down like a fiddlers elbow! The sales lad was full of bull so anything he had to say I discarded, especially so now I've got home and checked out some of his "facts" he was giving me.

I'm looking at changing next year before or soon after the warranty run out, so no rush.

The regens really do kill the averages if a decent turbo petrol was available I would take the hit in fuel just to see the back of them.

All the diesels from all manufacturers seem to regen the DPF in a similar manner by injecting diesel so it seems you cant escape the regens with diesel. My last car was a BMW from 2006 and that was the last of the 320d's that didn't need a DPF to meet the current EU standard at the time, so this regens business is new to me. It seems it would be better, if you have to inject diesel, to inject it directly into the exhaust manifold so that if the regen isn't completed at least it doesn't contribute to oil dilution which i feel makes a mockery of all the new oil technology. I think a petrol in a large 4x4 type vehicle will never be satisfactory as it needs that low down high torque to effortlessly pull the bulk and unaerodynamic shape. A petrol with turbo though would be good in a more sporty shaped vehicle but would still need to be revved hard to wake it up.

Things have moved on now turbo petrol engines can give good maximum torque over a very wide band, some from as low as 1200 rpm up to 5000 rpm.

Even back in 1999 I had a 1.8T Audi Quattro that gave max torque of 177 pound feet from 1950 to 4500 rpm, and with 180 BHP. Now a 2L petrol will give more torque over a wider band with more power. The Audi gave a top speed of 145mph and 0-60 in around 8 sec.

Ok I only got around 23mpg towing 1333kg and a max of 33mpg solo, round town around 28 mpg, but as I say things have got better for petrol, worst for diesel.

I replaced the Audi with a pre DPF Xtrail that pulled well but still only returned up to 29mpg towing the same caravan, 39mpg solo and around 45mpg on a run if I drove steady.

Also lots of diesels now use Adblue, merks especially.

This is for a 2014 model.
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2014/2042960/audi_a5_sportback_2_0_tfsi_225_quattro.html

Last edited:
Adblue doesn't do anything for DPF's it is used to reduce the nitrogen oxides on eu6 engines. Apparantly skyactiv engines dont need it because the lower compression ratio cools the combustion temperature sufficiently not to need it!!. As far as i know all modern diesels that use dpf's burn off particles using injected diesel on the exhaust stroke, but some inject straight into the manifold so that there is no diesel dilution,but most dont.

Adblue doesn't do anything for DPF's it is used to reduce the nitrogen oxides on eu6 engines. Apparantly skyactiv engines dont need it because the lower compression ratio cools the combustion temperature sufficiently not to need it!!. As far as i know all modern diesels that use dpf's burn off particles using injected diesel on the exhaust stroke, but some inject straight into the manifold so that there is no diesel dilution,but most dont.

Yes sorry I was wrong.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed a reduction in fuel consumption since the remap at second service ?

When I first bought the car just before first service I was regularly getting up to 43 mpg around town, then I reported on here an increase in fuel consumption after the first service, down from 43 to around 41 mpg! and its more or less been at that until my last service.

Since then I've been seeing some really impressive figures typically high 40, at present I'm on 46.5 mpg!!

Its funny that you should say that but my last 310 miles is showing 45.1 mpg including 1 regen, which i thought at the time is a bit better than usual but just put it down to light traffic, maybe not.
Going to northumberland next week so will see how it goes.

Its funny that you should say that but my last 310 miles is showing 45.1 mpg including 1 regen, which i thought at the time is a bit better than usual but just put it down to light traffic, maybe not.
Going to northumberland next week so will see how it goes.

Quick question but how can you see if you've had a regen ?

Back