2017 Signature lemon?

tc1668

:
2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature (snowflake white pearl mica)
Hi All,

I got my first Mazda (2017 CX-9 Signature) this past August and have been super impressed with the driving dynamics and build quality!

Unfortunately, I'm starting to think maybe I got a lemon...

In October, it randomly stalled while I was on the highway and I had to have it towed to the closest dealer (2.5hrs away from home). After almost a week without my car (no loaner or rental), they said the check engine code pointed to the high pressure fuel pump so they replaced it per Mazda's tech line and sent the old part + photos of the low pressure fuel pump to Mazda Corp (I got them involved because obviously this shouldn't happen to a 2mo old car w/about 4500mi on it)

Two week later, it stalled again while I was on a local road and I had it towed to my home dealership. They came back and told me I was out of gas (light was on but gauge said 6mi left). I know it's not good to run so low on gas but 6mi left is 6mi left per the guage + some reserve so potentially more than 6mi. Either way, they wrote me off and did nothing and I got my car back.

A few weeks ago, it stalled again while I was on the highway with gas light on and 18mi left to empty. I had my gf bring me my gas can which had less than a gallon in it, poured it in and got it to start. When I got to the gas station .5mi away, the gauge said 17mi left. I called Mazda Corp again and they coordinated with my home dealership to bring it back in to check because they admitted that it shouldn't stall out before the gauge reads 0. I dropped it off this past Monday and today, they told me the tech line told them to replace the fuel pump assembly and that the part is ordered but may take a few days due to weather.

I have a loaner CX-5 to use at least this time but basically this is the 3rd time it's been in the shop since I got it in August. I have less than 8k miles on it and am annoyed that the 2nd time it stalled, I was written off as running out of gas and it had to happen a 3rd time (while I was on the highway at 5:30 in the morning!) and another call to Mazda Corp for them to take me seriously.

I know generally speaking, it is 3 service repairs or 15 days (doesn't have to be consecutive) without my car to qualify as a lemon. I'm going to be following up again with Mazda Customer Care since I have a case with them on this service repair.

Sorry for the long read but wanted to provide context since I couldn't find anyone else having this issue and I'm really disappointed because I really love this car but am quickly losing faith and trust in the vehicle...

Any advice? Seek a vehicle exchange (yeehaw 2018!) or buyback?

Thanks so much for reading!

The tank was empty the 2nd and 3rd time, was it it empty the first time?

You can't take the range indicator as exact science. I would never drive it showing 6 miles left. I never let mine get below a 1/4 tank.

Running it to empty all the time is bad for the fuel pump.

Hi All,

I got my first Mazda (2017 CX-9 Signature) this past August and have been super impressed with the driving dynamics and build quality!

In October, it randomly stalled while I was on the highway and I had to have it towed to the closest dealer (2.5hrs away from home). After almost a week without my car (no loaner or rental), they said the check engine code pointed to the high pressure fuel pump so they replaced it per Mazda's tech line and sent the old part + photos of the low pressure fuel pump to Mazda Corp (I got them involved because obviously this shouldn't happen to a 2mo old car w/about 4500mi on it)

Two week later, it stalled again while I was on a local road and I had it towed to my home dealership. They came back and told me I was out of gas (light was on but gauge said 6mi left). I know it's not good to run so low on gas but 6mi left is 6mi left per the guage + some reserve so potentially more than 6mi. Either way, they wrote me off and did nothing and I got my car back.

A few weeks ago, it stalled again while I was on the highway with gas light on and 18mi left to empty. I had my gf bring me my gas can which had less than a gallon in it, poured it in and got it to start. When I got to the gas station .5mi away, the gauge said 17mi left. I called Mazda Corp again and they coordinated with my home dealership to bring it back in to check because they admitted that it shouldn't stall out before the gauge reads 0. I dropped it off this past Monday and today, they told me the tech line told them to replace the fuel pump assembly and that the part is ordered but may take a few days due to weather.

I have a loaner CX-5 to use at least this time but basically this is the 3rd time it's been in the shop since I got it in August. I have less than 8k miles on it and am annoyed that the 2nd time it stalled, I was written off as running out of gas and it had to happen a 3rd time (while I was on the highway at 5:30 in the morning!) and another call to Mazda Corp for them to take me seriously.

I know generally speaking, it is 3 service repairs or 15 days (doesn't have to be consecutive) without my car to qualify as a lemon. I'm going to be following up again with Mazda Customer Care since I have a case with them on this service repair.

Sorry for the long read but wanted to provide context since I couldn't find anyone else having this issue and I'm really disappointed because I really love this car but am quickly losing faith and trust in the vehicle...

Any advice? Seek a vehicle exchange (yeehaw 2018!) or buyback?

Thanks so much for reading!

This reminds me of my brand new (ordered to spec straight out of Bowlingreen Kentucky) C5 Corvette circa 2000. Had it for six months before the engine shut down on the freeway with 3/4 of a tank.

Dealer replaced the FSU and all was well into our long trip to Las Vegas, where just 30 miles outside the strip with 1/4 tank the engine completely quit once again.

This time, I had scanned the forums for problem reports and found a temporary fix for getting the ignition after such a stall. Applied the fix on the side of the highway and drove to the Venetian hotel for check-in. Took it to the local Vegas dealer and they replaced the FSU a second time.

Turns out GM had designed a faulty Fuel Sending Unit and shipped it with a large number of C5s. They never admitted that fact until after I got rid of the car and after they put me through 1 year of hell on earth pretending they did not have a design problem.

Over that year they replaced nearly the entire top side of the engine in addition to the FSU. Never once offered a buy back. I never once went back to GM after that. I still love the Corvette, but will never own BM again.

I truly hope you get this problem resolved. One of the very first things I do with any new vehicle is test the full range by driving until fuel exhaustion. That way, I know concretely where true Empty resides just in case I need to use that reserve fuel in the future during an emergency. Know your vehicles true fuel limits.

All the best!

Interesting this post comes the day after car and driver reported that their Mazda CX-9 long term car ran out of fuel when the gauge first went to zero and second when it was at 6 miles till empty. You appear to be seeing the same thing.

Me, I would add gas much sooner and call it a day.

The tank was empty the 2nd and 3rd time, was it it empty the first time?

You can't take the range indicator as exact science. I would never drive it showing 6 miles left. I never let mine get below a 1/4 tank.

Running it to empty all the time is bad for the fuel pump.

1st stall - 120ish miles left on the tank
2nd stall - 6mi left
3rd stall - 18mi left

Agree that you can't solely rely on the range indicator but it also shouldn't be THAT far off where your car flat out stalls before 0... In addition, when I got to the gas station on the 3rd stall, the range said 17mi so why wouldn't it read 0 or something closer if I were really out of gas? I was only able to fill a little over 17gal too with topping off the tank (19.5gal capacity tank I believe).

change to 2018!

I wish (or hopefully... or maybe if they do a swap or if I even want another Mazda after this ordeal!)

This reminds me of my brand new (ordered to spec straight out of Bowlingreen Kentucky) C5 Corvette circa 2000. Had it for six months before the engine shut down on the freeway with 3/4 of a tank.

Dealer replaced the FSU and all was well into our long trip to Las Vegas, where just 30 miles outside the strip with 1/4 tank the engine completely quit once again.

This time, I had scanned the forums for problem reports and found a temporary fix for getting the ignition after such a stall. Applied the fix on the side of the highway and drove to the Venetian hotel for check-in. Took it to the local Vegas dealer and they replaced the FSU a second time.

Turns out GM had designed a faulty Fuel Sending Unit and shipped it with a large number of C5s. They never admitted that fact until after I got rid of the car and after they put me through 1 year of hell on earth pretending they did not have a design problem.

Over that year they replaced nearly the entire top side of the engine in addition to the FSU. Never once offered a buy back. I never once went back to GM after that. I still love the Corvette, but will never own BM again.

I truly hope you get this problem resolved. One of the very first things I do with any new vehicle is test the full range by driving until fuel exhaustion. That way, I know concretely where true Empty resides just in case I need to use that reserve fuel in the future during an emergency. Know your vehicles true fuel limits.

All the best!

Thanks for the well wishes! That sounds like a horrible horrible experience!

Interesting this post comes the day after car and driver reported that their Mazda CX-9 long term car ran out of fuel when the gauge first went to zero and second when it was at 6 miles till empty. You appear to be seeing the same thing.

Me, I would add gas much sooner and call it a day.

Whoa! I'm going to have to find that article! Yes, totally agree that I could just get gas sooner but if the car isn't working as designed... it should be looked at for sure! Thanks for the info!

Will be following up with Mazda Customer Care this morning...

Oh, here's some photos I finally captured from the most recent incident for proof in case they need it (yes, it was 3 degrees out!). I wish cars in this day and age would be more descript when they fail... all I got was a check engine light and battery light and a totally useless msg from the HUD. It would be nice if it could display check engine code or something on the LCD (maybe I wouldn't have had my car towed the 2nd time if I knew I was just "out of gas").

T5GF-y_V-78o-A8Fm5XTQ9OKfBt1etTFeYWjBvuHGYCVCetiLh5ucy16ouOepzPeODleCbA0FgoVMaS5nV2-fnhUiDHkc0uUBXYBFvDGg1Z7YwyXJ8IP7wulSvsT2tVn7EgthMIcl3KFmePIAmZen2c2DSO9yWkgpd_MZ3lACoq9u35pR00VTsVlWnScSrVvLDKyvhp_VpT5eBvMPWfp5jG94Kmz5B4pMAJ0xd-fQ3bpduiALgx8d-zVq2MhX-56t3AY3v6JReISZqisQ98-lizeCb16Rf1h3M3NGRvv0UTqV7KpcsSNaKSwkqq08A4-hScv4tkiYleyHtKFJbTWtVxFyMacRjdILh-lfcGDLxpStRr9Rf_K1aZ7heMXo3CxvrAjwGOsCAvBfrxTQBQQK0e__rXcMC19LCIc-RnKhG_Ua9FskR29lUp3luXQa4dwHGlfE79tTqTPnX0pAxLrlO2fdk88oaBHwVdOtDjBfOeS34Y3TBVzRQQQ1RXErdErsiGnZTqyOyO3qF4f5Ou5iDgqoMOPU0GGFBzyGdK3EE2OEunuttjdhdmfQJEaYxXHlvf5JzvSZ14DU9aCw_w4U5JxtCMUPnF8b79jHqGP=w850-h637-no

PJF7FlKLkOuWV_h5Dvp5jkmVEK_NNZ9NPE0HmjL5-j8DQsgIRd8xgssmVuGkD2M4I5SqLwZ642JV9pnXxCKUdp5RJnnZr6xlcA7rPU5dyS5WysLOfY5708JcKy6xB6E2Mcabn6tIbz1SROAUSXiSorfkoDmJBDu7e-AtZ2vYHPHRrbz06qdxMJKv5of9IRUis2ceGx_HInDWDsF-sCl1_FWedCrA8Lgh2PCJo3zz9bzEgfyv1emKbzd8RZL9OpH7R-sbCfZjF0Qiwg-rv4yybRWEgU2YmCplEaMR0tukW2_DqgxTb5dCwMC5-6-X2yDtF3UMkrQyjZpcBaqybNC7qOKTFjU3G7aGe8_JNk9cyxPPNwtGX3YBhlpgOutWfmn0lAkA4nWUbG9__R8FPPB8oLBxUbW4mU5KGzFP8p6TfWQrsLZ31QICjN059wsDCAQRJQXMFPkhLGPleV1G-cZaRlHeoyljIbzSXC83VCVaXClDxHNYiPGA5X3-XgCxzzal5UQu6QHLRGDouUfn1QsOZUTYCH3d5JbfJ6ndELj9l2oyw5NkNJIgA8d_Iq3PpGmfCKU5GvENufY6TUGTIbSVZiEitCOypcCSHRdT_7nb=w850-h637-no

Fn6LYCWwrRRjc06FPmoRAhltwOVg_o6uJ89Xy8WSdP8sZqyPNW5OGb5-lbjOiTA6gpa8dCcGvNQ4kRmgTErVr2d-vE5_HsrEUbjN6iZ72bOKFV-ax1n9QnXtAbFT1eJhL2zfKpDM_X4NnPzrJmeJ_ZJYfb_naedF2icnWmDwLWkLEZaqAMaatGX4DBHvcGeGmbd9G51lMRBJojk08D5erVT-0Pcx-pvbLUsREqHYgRyAgzAdQjVsCYKoZXSLE40itRNlUw6O_P-PYP9F7r35wyCi2jaVsK7aNFnIgLkPslYvNtAJtUX8NQWVp7UaOT5wDX7Zy0h4m1M8l7cbH2TIZr-tPY--CdtXIWS6JgET-R-6VSkLgQCHVOTBU6gb_nfAvByn-IMhu8mBwRIpd2qhxRGPlV1m_6MUeTpBHuI2pBGQ1hyJynCj-kSUqeX-_MKkZqJK9dI-Gkd9Gdx_gkGD-2BzK8fNA1l6FBB_k_wrGXQ8KG_eb-driViDXyJuvPvFTfGGxl1wzCEUhbT4JbYKiZDuMrnQyKVxSGg11ez8c-aIE5G4iM2gpFwF0BPJ9M5S1vRiTWniocpQqhtFlmP0_WvJgbC4ZxDiZQsYNsD8=w850-h637-no

First time seems odd, but why are you waiting so long to gas up? I agree the gauge shouldn't be that inaccurate, (you have about 2.5 gallons left in a CX5 when it reads about 0 miles left) but you're unnecessarily pushing things too far.

Its a $45k vehicle. Surely you can afford to buy gas before it basically runs dry?!?!?

First time seems odd, but why are you waiting so long to gas up? I agree the gauge shouldn't be that inaccurate, (you have about 2.5 gallons left in a CX5 when it reads about 0 miles left) but you're unnecessarily pushing things too far.

Its a $45k vehicle. Surely you can afford to buy gas before it basically runs dry?!?!?

That's the only reason people don't fill up? Because they can't afford it? (uhm)

Yes, after spending 45k on the car, I can no longer afford to drive it!

That's the only reason people don't fill up? Because they can't afford it? (uhm)

(cryhard)

I part procrastinate and also plan/prefer certain gas stations along my route. This most recent time, I knew I had enough to drop family at the airport then swing by the gas station I frequent on the way home. Was not expecting to stall out on the highway with 18mi left. already admitted that it's not good practice to run gas so low; that's besides the point. The post wasn't to see how low you can go before running out of gas. If the car is faulty, the car is faulty and that's what I'm trying to figure out. I just happened to stumble upon it because I ran it lower than most would.

129222_GasGaugeTwoTypes.jpg

Whoa! I'm going to have to find that article! Yes, totally agree that I could just get gas sooner but if the car isn't working as designed... it should be looked at for sure! Thanks for the info!

Will be following up with Mazda Customer Care this morning...

Here it is:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mazda-cx-9-long-term-test-update-review

In my CX-5, I have gone to 8 miles till empty and still only put ~13 gallons in the car, implying that I had almost 2 gallons of gas in reserve. I think this has to be a computer error or something. Zero is never really zero - or should not be!

Do you recall how many gallons of gas you filled up after the 2nd and 3rd time the car stalled?

That could help indicate that you truly ran out of gas and that the range indicator is overestimating true range. In the CX5, the range indicator seems to give estimates based on driving styles.

I do agree that it is ok to assume there is generally some reserve once the range hits zero, as that's the case with most cars.

Do you recall how many gallons of gas you filled up after the 2nd and 3rd time the car stalled?

That could help indicate that you truly ran out of gas and that the range indicator is overestimating true range. In the CX5, the range indicator seems to give estimates based on driving styles.

I do agree that it is ok to assume there is generally some reserve once the range hits zero, as that's the case with most cars.

Unfortunately not because the 1st time, I still had 120mi left and had it towed to the dealer. They claimed that it started up fine when they tried but the check engine gave them an odd code and after working with Mazda's tech support line, they advised them to replace the high pressure fuel pump and they updated some programming or something. I copied and pasted the notes from that repair order below in case you're curious.

The 2nd time, I also had it towed to the dealer immediately because I thought the issue was the same as the first and didn't know/think I was out of gas completely so the dealer filled up some gas for me that time (did not fill it all the way up).

B CUSTOMER STATES CAR DIED ON HIGHWAY WARNING LIGHTS CAME ON
CAUSE: INSTERNAL MALFUNCTION
F0301BRX HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP AND/OR GAUGE
GASKET,R
561 W (N/C)
1 PY8V-20-3F0A PUMP,FUEL (N/C)
1 PE01-13-555 RUBBER.SEAL (N/C)
F0301ARX REMOVE LOW PRESSURE PUMP FROM TANK TO
TAKE PICTURES OF PUMP AND INSIDE OF TANK -
SEND PHOTOS
561 W (N/C)
F0008XDX EGI SYSTEM, DIAGNOSIS
561 W (N/C)
FC: 6X6X9W9W
PART#: PY8V-20-3F0A
COUNT: 1
CLAIM TYPE: A
AUTH CODE:
PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE B: 0.00
customer states car stalled out on highway
and will not start.
car started on on first try scan for fault codes 2 faults stored in
memory P0912-fuel rail pressure sensor A circuit low
P064A- fuel pump control module
look for TSB on mazda ms3 no tsb found faults stored in memory
perform diag per Mazda work shop book
FAULT P0912with ids check fuel pressure at idle on start up fuel

That's a major safety issue to stall on the highway. Definitely pressure them to good Will upgrade to 2018 if no real solution can be offered

I always say that Mazda has a lot of MG in it. If you ever had an MG, you would know about their fuel pumps that would seize and starve the engine. Every MG owner learned to keep a rubber mallet in their car to knock the fuel pump loose so that it would start working.

Hi All,

I got my first Mazda (2017 CX-9 Signature) this past August

it stalled and I had it towed to my home dealership. They came back and told me I was out of gas (light was on but gauge said 6mi left). I know it's not good to run so low on gas but 6mi left is 6mi left per the guage + some reserve so potentially more than 6mi.

A few weeks ago, it stalled again while I was on the highway with gas light on and 18mi left to empty. I had my gf bring me my gas can which had less than a gallon in it, poured it in and got it to start. When I got to the gas station .5mi away, the gauge said 17mi left.

this is the 3rd time it's been in the shop. I am annoyed that the 2nd time it stalled, I was written off as running out of gas and it had to happen a 3rd time and another call to Mazda Corp for them to take me seriously.

I know generally speaking, it is 3 service repairs or 15 days (doesn't have to be consecutive) without my car to qualify as a lemon.

I'm really disappointed because I really love this car but am quickly losing faith and trust in the vehicle...

Any advice?

You think it's a lemon because you're too lazy to fill the tank?
Somehow running out of gas 3 times is the car's fault, and you're contacting Mazda Corp to file a complaint?
And you want them to take you seriously?
This isn't a case of 3 service repairs or 15 days without your car because there's a problem.
It's 3 unnecessary service repairs and 15 days without your car that was 100% avoidable by you.
As for some advice: put gas in the tank before it's empty. Give that a try. It's worked for me for 50 years, and I've never run out of gas...ever.
Unbelievable.

Back