The ONE thing I hate about my 2019 Signature is....

driving with hands out 3 and 9 is way too stiff. Left hand at 12, right hand rested on console. Why would heat be at 6, but not 12? makes little sense.

To each their own, but again, there is no heat at 6 o'clock.

driving with hands out 3 and 9 is way too stiff. Left hand at 12, right hand rested on console. Why would heat be at 6, but not 12? makes little sense.

I have left hand on 9 and right rested on center console usually.

10 and 2 always made the most sense to me, because you are kind of resting your hands/arms on the top part of the steering wheel. 3 and 9 mean that you have to hold your arms up and grip the wheel to fight gravity.

I've driven left-handed at 10 o'clock (actually my left wrist resting on the wheel at 10 o'clock) and my right arm on the console in other cars, but the cockpit of my Reserve seems a little too confining to spread out like that...maybe it's because I've driven trucks for so long, and had a '76 Grand Prix before then. Or maybe it's because I've got the seat further forward that I'm used to (per the manual) in order to find a comfortable position with the seat comfort issue some of us are having.

I bought my car in March, so have not tested the heated steering wheel yet.

There is a recommended hand placement for safety because of air bag deployment and ability to turn the wheel quickly in case of avoiding an accident. Position 3 and 9 are the preferred positions. If you find this uncomfortable then you need to adjust your seat position. Ed

It's interesting that for the depth of safety advice in the manual, hand position on the steering wheel is not mentioned.

All that the manual states is
The driver should always hold onto only the rim of the steering wheel.
This is in the section about air bags.

I never gave it much thought. Like everyone else my generation I had "10&2" drilled into me.

I see on the web where the 3-9 position is recommended along with "shuffling the wheel," so your left hand only moves between 8-10 and your right hand only moves from 2-4, so you push & pull the wheel 60 at a time--then return your hands for another push & pull--so as to keep your arms from ever crossing the path of the air bag even for a moment. It seems that avoiding the air bag path 100% of the time trumps all other considerations...even successfully making a turn.

This guy at Road and Track has some interesting takes on this subject.

Last edited:
One more reason I am anti auto liftgate. #LiftHate

I wasn't a fan of auto liftgate too, until I got the 2nd gen CX-5, when I realized the feature has unintentionally solved a problem I used to have on the 1st gen CX-5 (both 2015 & 2016.5), namely, the liftgatte would tend to close by itself under extreme cold weather. I guess the whatever fluid supposed to hold the liftgate open behaves differently as the temperature drops below a threshold.

How the hell did we get to steering wheel heat in a thread about my lift gate unintentionally opening? LOL

Wayyyyy off base! lol

How the hell did we get to steering wheel heat in a thread about my lift gate unintentionally opening? LOL

Wayyyyy off base! lol

Well, the title "One Thing I Hate About My 2019 Signature Is..." sounds like an invitation to fill in the blank.

That being said, when I see the direction a bunch of guys can take a conversation (myself included), it makes me a little less judgemental of some of the women I know.

(Let's see where THAT comment takes us!) ;)

I*don't*have*my*car*yet*but*this*is*a*good*heads*up.

Well, the title "One Thing I Hate About My 2019 Signature Is..." sounds like an invitation to fill in the blank.

That being said, when I see the direction a bunch of guys can take a conversation (myself included), it makes me a little less judgemental of some of the women I know.

(Let's see where THAT comment takes us!) ;)

Yeah, I can see that lol.

And I am not touching that comment with a 10 foot pole man. LOL

I've only had my CX-5 for a month, but it's never happened once. Had a Nissan Rogue for 4.5 years before this car. Never accidentally opened that tailgate either.

-Don't like auto dim rear view mirror green light on in my face. Wish default was off.
-Don't like ventilated/heated seats default to off. After a quick stop somewhere, have to remember to turn on again.
-I might be the only one that thinks the info system is fine. I wouldn't want it any bigger. Not sure why people want some big TV like device on the dash.
-Leather seats are a bit firm, but I don't have a problem with them.. and car is still new, probably break in some.
- Not sure why there is a car icon in the HUD. Like I can't see the car right in front of me?

- Not sure why there is a car icon in the HUD. Like I can't see the car right in front of me?
It's showing you the following distance, the bars are what matters, the car is just the placeholder. It's only on when MRCC is active, right? Is that what you're talking about?

It's showing you the following distance, the bars are what matters, the car is just the placeholder. It's only on when MRCC is active, right? Is that what you're talking about?

Mine shows with the Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS). It tells you when you're tailgating, and lights orange when you get too close. It's different that the cruise control following distance.

Mine shows with the Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS). It tells you when you're tailgating, and lights orange when you get too close. It's different that the cruise control following distance.

right, but just don't see the need for it on the HUD. Of course you know when you are tailgating someone

right, but just don't see the need for it on the HUD. Of course you know when you are tailgating someone

You can change the sensitivity or turn it off.

Personalization Features on Pg. 9-14 in the manual, which refers you to Settings on Pg. 5-78 for the DRSS, which tells you it's on the Safety Tab under Settings on the infotainment screen.

There's also a reference to the Active Driving Display in the DRSS section, but I don't believe there's a way to choose what does and does not appear on the HUD, except for Navigation Guidance. Regarding other functions showing on the HUD displays, I don't think you can turn on a feature and only have it display on the instrument cluster but not the HUD. As far as I can tell, if you don't want something on the HUD, you gotta turn that feature off completely (again, except for NAV Guidance).

Personally, I don't mind the DRSS on the HUD. Like many of the other safety features, they're not necessary but they are a welcome assist/reminder.

Last edited:

Ah. I turned that off immediately!

Back