I am seriously worried ... can this happen?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
My wife's car went in for a quick repair but part was not available. They provided a loaner. Said will take 2 days. After 2 days they said the tech who knows that section didn't come in and offered to keep the loaner. Now its approximately 6 days. In between I called and dealer told me they have a problem and have contacted main office for advise (its an electrical problem) but main office have not got back yet. Today I called the main office. Checking the VIN they are saying no one from this dealership requested anything yet.

I am now horribly worried. Can this happen that being a new car the dealership is quietly replacing parts/etc., etc. ? Is that at all common? OR - its quite common to have car @ dealership for upwards of 6 to 7 days against electrical/electronic type of problems. Is there anything I can do?

Dealers do that all the time. They just drive your car around instead of actually fixing it. I'd suggest walking into there during the day and see what they are doing with you car. Speak to a manager.

Dealers do that all the time. They just drive your car around instead of actually fixing it. I'd suggest walking into there during the day and see what they are doing with you car. Speak to a manager.

My ODO has been finalized when they took my car in. But will they replace parts, etc.?

Sorry - you mean yes: they do replace parts (i.e. fully working/un-related parts with old ones, etc.) ?

No, they're not going to do that. Don't worry. You seem really nervous about your dealership, and honestly you have every right to be especially if the dealer you're dealing with doesn't know what they're doing but if yours got decent reviews then don't worry. They aren't going to mess with your car.

In the future, I strongly suggest that you just take the car to a good mechanic instead, it'll save you the headache.

I would drop in and check on it, they could have had an accident joy riding around....

One thing I have a habit of doing is noting the mileage and fuel level before I drop off a car. Years ago at a body shop I dropped off a car and could've sworn it had 3/4 of a tank of gas. When I got it back it was about an eighth of a tank a week later. It was a lousy body shop....
Yes, definitely pay them a visit if you have concerns and give the car a look.

Last edited:
Car dealerships are notoriously cramped places and accidents do happen. The lack of info suggests to me they are on with something and I would be curious as too what is in the body shop. I’d pay a surprise visit and tell them you want something out of the glove box.

All thank you. Excellent ideas. Will do. Anyways wanted to pick up the EZpass.

Many many years ago I took in my 1985 Ford Ranger for a oil change. After a couple of hours I inquired about the status and was told it would be out shortly. I checked again at the 3 hour mark with the same results. The advisor knew I was starting to become upset. At the 4.5 hour mark the advisor brought me back to the shop area where I saw my pickup with the dashboard completely taken out. Apparently there had been a short somewhere and they were trying to trace it but it was hard.

I blew up at this point. No communication and I had a hard time believing their story. I got a loaner for overnight and the following day as I had to work. Two days later I picked it up. That dealership did not charge me for anything. I was satisfied with that and the truck ran as it always had. I never used that dealership again.

Now I am not saying that something similar is happening here but communication is key in all service appointments and they know it. The quieter they are, the more worried I would be.

One thing I have a habit of doing is noting the mileage and fuel level before I drop off a car.
Absolutely. Been doing that for years.
Also, don't leave anything of value in the car, or at least take inventory of what's in it.
Take a pic with your phone of what's in it if you're concerned.
One other thing I do is, I mark the parts I want changed with a Sharpie, or I put a scratch in them.
When the car disappears to the back room, where some dealers and shops won't give you access, you never know if they actually do the work you asked for.
I also ask for all the old parts back.

Many years ago, I took in a new car for it's first oil change.
Car came back 45 minutes later....with the same factory oil filter that it came with (I had marked it).
The oil wasn't clean either, and when I checked the oil pan plug underneath, it hadn't been touched. It was still painted over.
After raising a stink, the tech admitted that nothing was done, as they were "busy" and short staffed.
The manager never ever admitted to the scam, even after all the evidence was presented.
I demanded that the car be taken back in again right away, and that this time I stood next to the tech while he did the oil and filter change.
As a "goodwill gesture", they didn't charge me for the oil. Whoopee.
I wrote a nasty letter to the dealership, and their reply was still a denial that they fudged the job. No accountability whatsoever.
This was a Ford dealer BTW. I have never owned or driven a Ford since.

I've had asshole mechanics take joy rides in my 6 wagon while they were supposed to be replacing my transmission. I made such a scene that I got a car wash, a full tank of gas and $50. Then 4 days later I got a tow to pick it up when the replacement transmission took a dump. I was so far up their ass while they had my car 2nd time that they paid for a 50 mile tow, a car wash, a full tank of gas and with fewer than 10 additional miles when they returned it.

Some people leave a few bucks somewhere in the car that the shop might see, and see if it's still there when they get the car back.

I once bought a used motorbike, there was a problem with the clutch not fully disengaging, not having at the time a clue about mechanics I took it back in for repairs.

A day later I turned up to see how the job was going, only to find the bike seat off and two blokes replacing wires, as I was an apprentice electrician at the time I recognised the wires were on a rectifier!

Being green and trusting I didn't think much about it and took the bike away repaired. It was a short time later that the battery went flat, there had obviously took my rectifier out and fitted a duff one!

I have also been charged for a cabin filter by a car dealer that was never fitted, the check sheet even said it hadn't, yet a 25 charge was on the paper work, when I challenged the dealers manager he just shrugged it off and couldn't care less, I had to go back to get the part fitted at a later date, the dealer shortly afterwards lost the franchise.

There must have been a lot of customers complaining.
Trust no one and you won't be disappointed.

As for the OP, electrical faults on a car must be a total nightmare to sort, and if it requires harnesses being replaced or modules can be very time consuming. Intermittent problems can take days to sort.

My bosses Ferrari was in an accident outside of Boston. The shop, and home are outside of Philadelphia. No joke.

On a side note, this board attracts people with strange backgrounds and weird events.

I would drop in and check on it, they could have had an accident joy riding around....

That happened to a friend of mine. The dealer said that they were giving it a test drive when the accident happened. But does a window lift motor need a test drive?

Your comment is completely absurd. Please refrain from such behaviour in the future, as such remarks do no good to this forum.

Back