Wouldn't it be nice...

Bet Mazda would be afraid of cannibalizing CX-5 sales. Pity.
OT, but interesting that R&T sourced that from C&D.

Bet Mazda would be afraid of cannibalizing CX-5 sales. Pity.
OT, but interesting that R&T sourced that from C&D.

I don't think that's the reason they don't import it. It's that 'Muricans don't by station wagons. That's the pity!

I don't think that's the reason they don't import it. It's that 'Muricans don't by station wagons. That's the pity!

You're right. But maybe they'd buy more of them if there were more appealing choices... like that 6. I would.

As much as I like my CX-5, if the refreshed Mazda6 wagon with the 2.5 turbo comes to the U.S.; I'll be trading!

I don't get it. I think these wagons are just plain ugly. Mazda is the least ugly though for what that's worth.

People have mentioned that the wagon is actually a little smaller than the regular 6. I assume this is still true? I still think it is a amazing looking car!

I think a big part of it is pricing to be honest.

Using Audi as a sample I configured the cars as Prestige models with no extras.

A4 All-Road: $53,000
Q5: $50,800
A4: $50,000

You are paying $2,200 more for a smaller car. You get almost 2" more rear leg room on the Q5 and 2 more cf. You also get 2 more inches of shoulder room front and back on the Q5.

As for Europe I checked and attempted to configure as close as possible the UK prices:

Audi A4 All-Road: 45,385
Q5: 43,955
A4 S-Line: 44,015
A4 Avant S-Line: 43,015

It's trickier to configure since engines are different and standard features seem to be all over the place for the UK site. Only options I picked was 2.0 petrol engine and memory seats with virtual cockpit. But the big thing to note is that the Avant is pretty much the same price as a Q5.

If only. That's pretty much my ideal car.

I don't get it. I think these wagons are just plain ugly. Mazda is the least ugly though for what that's worth.

To each his own. I strongly prefer the look of a wagon over a crossover, and SUVs are ugly.

I think a big part of it is pricing to be honest.

Absolutely. I priced out a 3-series wagon with the options I wanted and the MSRP was $52495, and if you really go all-out they can be over $70k. The X1 configured equivalently came out at $46325, and offers a little more space.

I get the utility, but they are fugly as all getout.

Of course, just my opinion only, I know plenty on this board disagree :)

The upcoming CX-X is a wagon from all the photos Ive seen and a good looking one at that.

I have yet to see any report of the CX-X being anything other than a CX-7 replacement to slot between CX-5 and CX-9. That's SUV/CUV territory no matter what you think you're seeing in the renderings!

I have to disagree. There is a big aversion to wagons in the US. VW’s Alltrak and Allroad, Subaru Outback, Mazda CX-9, and a few others are wagons. Today’s wagons are not the giant low slung monsters of yesterday.

Yes, calling them crossovers lessens the pain. For me, a SUV is a body on frame build or a large body vehicle like the Yukon, Expedition, Sequoia etc. That is just my thinking.

The 3 seat wagon crossover market is growing and the CX-X should be in the running if Mazda does it right.

Back