First trip out in the snow, confused where to put this, tires?

^^Bc people from Texas & Arkansas (for example) that don't get much in the way of prolonged cold or snow say things like AS are more than enough on my uber capable CX5 its really just ice that's the issue. I say spend a winter where it goes below 0F frequently, 200" of snow is not unheard of and they're hilly windy roads everywhere..then tell me how your AS are plenty good enough in all but icy conditions. Does everyone need them where the temperature goes below 40..no but that's about where the benefits start and grow pretty much exponentially from there as the temperature drops and terrain gets more challenging.

There have been a few threads already where we have this ongoing debate between winter tires and all season tires. I don't think anyone has ever said that all season tires are as good as winter tires when it comes to snow. What other people have said is that based on their experience, they have been able to get by with all season tires just fine, in their respective locations. Still I don't remember anyone claiming that all season tires are superior than winter tires when it is snowing. So I'm confused as to why we keep on having this same discussion.

I think it's somewhat like face-to-face conversations one might have multiple times with different parties involved each time. I think its just 'what we do'... Personally, I think the conversation is a good one, with lots of good experiential advice on both sides.

^^Bc people from Texas & Arkansas (for example) that don't get much in the way of prolonged cold or snow say things like AS are more than enough on my uber capable CX5 its really just ice that's the issue. I say spend a winter where it goes below 0F frequently, 200" of snow is not unheard of and they're hilly windy roads everywhere..then tell me how your AS are plenty good enough in all but icy conditions. Does everyone need them where the temperature goes below 40..no but that's about where the benefits start and grow pretty much exponentially from there as the temperature drops and terrain gets more challenging.
Yes I understand, but those conditions you have mentioned do not apply to them, which is why I think there's no need for debate, because no one is debating that all season tires are better than winter tires. Now if they said, "I live where it's always 30F below during winter and all season tires are as good as winter tires", then I can see someone having to correct that perspective.

I'm not against more discussions on this forum, I'm just surprised that this discussion has been going on for so long and popping into different threads here and there. To me it feels like people are debating different things and not the same thing, which is why we can never come to a conclusion on it. The people who advocate winter tires are saying winter tires are best for people driving in snowy/icy conditions and they are correct. The people who are fine with all season tires are saying, in their driving conditions (which might not be the same as those advocating winter tires) they have gone by fine with all season tires. So you see, no one is crossing paths with their arguments because no one is essentially saying that one side is wrong. So there is no debate, if you get what I'm saying LOL.

I think it's somewhat like face-to-face conversations one might have multiple times with different parties involved each time. I think its just 'what we do'... Personally, I think the conversation is a good one, with lots of good experiential advice on both sides.

I suppose that's another way to look at it, distinct personal conversations happening on the web.

For many areas sure good AS tires w/awd will get you through most of what winter throws at you..but if there's ever a question of maybe I should then I say you should 100%. If you happen to find yourself in a situation where the s*** is hitting the fan there's truly no replacement for the right tire that's designed to handle it and if it lowers your stress level (and they no doubt will) you're a better and safer driver for it. For some seeing it a few times a year you just deal w/it and I get that but IMO there are way, way, way too many ppl that honestly believe that AWD+winter tires = overkill and that is just bulls***.

Last edited:
Snow or winter tires cost about $800/set max. Say 20k driven miles per year split between summer and winter sets and you're talking about $200 year for better winter tires. $100 year if you only drive 10k year. Add in mounting or swapping charges and you're still at no more $$$ than a few nice meals out.

Food for thought. Getting my snows put on in a few weeks.

I always chuckle at the people that claim their skill makes winter tires unnecessary. Last time I checked, skill doesn't trump physics.
To each their own, but don't you dare crash into me or any other innocent vehicle when your "skill" isn't enough to change the laws of physics in inclement weather.

My only issue with snow tires is what it does to some people's mentality. Their usage where I live has gone up dramatically and so have the crashes. That whole "I've got AWD so nothing can stop me" attitude has now shifted to an "I've got snow tires so nothing can stop me" attitude. Snow tires definitely work better but you can't fight physics if you drive like an idiot.

^^No doubt that downside exists but down here its probably 10:1 or more the I've got awd so I'm unstoppable problem despite my crappy old tires, which imo is an order of magnitude dumber.

Joe..agree 100%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

Thanks OP for sharing this valuable anecdotal experience based on a whole 60 mins of driving before you put your car away for the whole winter

There is nothing like real world experience, good or bad. If my 2003 Xterra with 125K on the clock goes down this winter(like it did the last 2 winters for repair), at least at this point I know the CX5 with AWD and AS tires can easily handle what I need it to do. The colder it gets, the less slippery it becomes. Then i will find out if the AS harden up to a point where different tires are warranted.

Back