Premium gas

For sure. Ethanol free fuel is significantly more efficient and delivers noticeably better torque and horsepower. The engine runs better and has a deeper more noticeable tone to it. Runs so good with this stuff, I switched and never looked back to 10% ethanol. The ethanol free 91 I tried was better then ethanol 93 while being cheaper...AFAIK, American shell 91 has ethanol in it, but Canadian shell 91 is ethanol free, and it is GREAT fuel.

All modern fuel systems are designed to run on ethanol fuel, but regardless, you still want a pure 100% gasoline blend, especially considering that North American fuel standards are garbage in comparison to Europes. Seriously.. all these Volkswagens and BMWs with broken injectors and failed fuel pumps... it rarely ever happens in Europe because these german fuel pumps are designed around better quality fuel.

Running ethanol free fuel in the non turbo skyactiv motors will give you the advantages of ethanol free fuel, but you will not see the benefits of higher octane unless you get a 91 octane tune, like from orange virus for example. This would help give the motor better pull especially from a stop in the low RPMs and eliminate the pinging/ticking you hear at idle and low RPM because of poor-quality 87 octane 10% ethanol crap.

For sure. Ethanol free fuel is significantly more efficient and delivers noticeably better torque and horsepower. The engine runs better and has a deeper more noticeable tone to it. Runs so good with this stuff, I switched and never looked back to 10% ethanol. The ethanol free 91 I tried was better then ethanol 93 while being cheaper...AFAIK, American shell 91 has ethanol in it, but Canadian shell 91 is ethanol free, and it is GREAT fuel.

All modern fuel systems are designed to run on ethanol fuel, but regardless, you still want a pure 100% gasoline blend, especially considering that North American fuel standards are garbage in comparison to Europe’s. Seriously.. all these Volkswagen’s and BMW’s with broken injectors and failed fuel pumps... it rarely ever happens in Europe because these german fuel pumps are designed around better quality fuel.

Running ethanol free fuel in the non turbo skyactiv motors will give you the advantages of ethanol free fuel, but you will not see the benefits of higher octane unless you get a 91 octane tune, like from orange virus for example. This would help give the motor better pull especially from a stop in the low RPM’s and eliminate the pinging/ticking you hear at idle and low RPM because of poor-quality 87 octane 10% ethanol crap.

Lol

I ran ethanol free in my 370z and jeep with the hemi and neither cared one bit. Much less did the combustion sounds change.

Starting to see a few more stations in the area offering ethanol free fuel. Definitely will improve mileage, but here we go with the sound thing again....must have bionic ears.

Ethanol-Free Fuel

Starting to see a few more stations in the area offering ethanol free fuel. Definitely will improve mileage, but here we go with the sound thing again....must have bionic ears.
Mind to name the gas stations of your finding who offer ethanol-free fuel? I havent seen any in our area.

Corn-based ethanol fuel in the US is purely political. I cant see any benefits of using badly needed food converting to fuel with high cost of energy and water.

"I can hear colors, I can smell sound!" (lol2)

Mind to name the gas stations of your finding who offer ethanol-free fuel? I haven’t seen any in our area.

Corn-based ethanol fuel in the US is purely political. I can’t see any benefits of using badly needed food converting to fuel with high cost of energy and water.

There is no benefit. It is exactly as you say. Political.

I found one gas station by my work that has ethanol free 87 available. It even has a big sign that says "Ethanol Free Available". Has it's own nozzle. I've been filling up there lately. Can't say I hear or feel any different, but definitely improved mileage.

Outside of that, can't say I've found any other ethanol free stations around here. But I haven't necessarily looked that hard either.

Last edited:
"I can hear colors, I can smell sound!" (lol2)

There is no benefit. It is exactly as you say. Political.

I found one gas station by my work that has ethanol free 87 available. It even has a big sign that says "Ethanol Free Available". Has it's own nozzle. I've been filling up there lately. Can't say I hear or feel any different, but definitely improved mileage.

Outside of that, can't say I've found any other ethanol free stations around here. But I haven't necessarily looked that hard either.

You dont hear or feel any difference because the Mazdas arent tuned for 91 octane fuel. On cars where 91 is recommended, you would hear the difference.

A friend of mine switched to ethanol-free fuel on his Acura TL and said the same thing. The car just runs better and feels more powerful.

Thats great that the ethanol free fuel has its own nozzle by the way. Like this, you wont get a nozzle full of the previous owners ethanol fuel since all the different fuel types are shared with one nozzle in different gas stations.

Ethanol-Free Fuel

⋯ There is no benefit. It is exactly as you say. Political.

Do you remember the gas station the national brand or private owned?
Back to switch-over period with 5% ethanol from ethanol-free gas, I could see worse fuel efficiency with new ethanol gas. Its 10% ethanol now the fuel efficiency has to be even worse than 5% ethanol. I guess we should be happy our congress didnt pass proposed mandatory 15% ethanol gas a few years ago. ;)

Back to switch-over period with 5% ethanol from ethanol-free gas, I could see worse fuel efficiency with new ethanol gas. It’s 10% ethanol now the fuel efficiency has to be even worse than 5% ethanol. I guess we should be happy our congress didn’t pass proposed mandatory 15% ethanol gas a few years ago. ;)

This might help
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Back to switch-over period with 5% ethanol from ethanol-free gas, I could see worse fuel efficiency with new ethanol gas. It’s 10% ethanol now the fuel efficiency has to be even worse than 5% ethanol. I guess we should be happy our congress didn’t pass proposed mandatory 15% ethanol gas a few years ago. ;)

It's a Murphy Express. I'm not really sure whether that's national brand or private owned.

Thank you! (thumb)

According to this map, looks like the one I go to by my work is the only ethanol free 87 around me.

Beat me to it...

You may see slight increases in MPG,but not enough to offset the cost of the ethanol free cost difference per gallon (it's like $.30 more a gallon here). I do run it in my small engines,though...

Last I looked, I think it was only marginally more here. I'll be driving by there later today, I'll have to take a look.

Agreed that at $0.30 a gal more, then it becomes less of an incentive.

Last I looked, I think it was only marginally more here. I'll be driving by there later today, I'll have to take a look.

Agreed that at $0.30 a gal more, then it becomes less of an incentive.

It actually may be more towards $.50-.80 a gallon. I'll look later today. Paid $1.99 gallon for regular 87 this morning. Can't beat that!

Beat me to it...

You may see slight increases in MPG,but not enough to offset the cost of the ethanol free cost difference per gallon (it's like $.30 more a gallon here). I do run it in my small engines,though...

Wrong [altho you did write "may"]. Increasing octane reduces preignition in higher compression engines. And in today's engines, you can burn any gas, and the computer will compensate. Does absolutely nothing for performance or gas mileage in an engine designed to run on 87. It will decrease performance in an engine designed for 91. It's just a waste on your money in a CX-5.

Ethanol-Free Fuel

Beat me to it...

Wrong [altho you did write "may"]. Increasing octane reduces preignition in higher compression engines. And in today's engines, you can burn any gas, and the computer will compensate. Does absolutely nothing for performance or gas mileage in an engine designed to run on 87. It will decrease performance in an engine designed for 91. It's just a waste on your money in a CX-5.
(confused) You got confused. NelsonLewis is talking about ethanol-free gas here.

Latest posts

Back