2017~2024 Mazda Sales.... Not So Good

You're welcome.

i could not tell if that Huntsville plant is up & running yet. I guess there's already a slug of workers there from the long-term presence of Redstone Arsenal.

As an aside, I have somewhat of an affinity for Mazda, since I worked for a Japanese company back in the day. It's like being home reading their stuff.

I don't know if you've seen my other posts from Mazda's 2018 financial statements, but it speaks of of joint ventures with Toyota.

-They are going to be co-developing an electric car.
-They're teaming up to manufacture in the states.

Here's the history of the Mazda/Toyota relationship excerpted from those financials. I'll put up everything, since you're investing in them. I shall refrain from buying stock so as to assure your success with it ;)

-Nov. 2012 Agreement is reached with Toyota on Toyota vehicle production at Mazda*s new plant in Mexico
-May 2015 Toyota and Mazda enter into an agreement geared toward the establishment of a business partnership
-Aug. 2017 Memorandum of understanding with Toyota concerning a business and capital alliance is concluded -Mar. 2018 MTMUS, a joint venture company with Toyota is established

There is a statement elsewhere that the technology for the electric vehicles will be provided by Toyota.

As of March, Toyota owns 5% of Mazda's stock.

Yeah, but remember, big companies do joint ventures to make sure things are working before buying them. Also, I think the Japanese companies do want to look out after each other. Companies like Mitsubishi and Suzuki are huge in other things (and Mitsubishi is an old Japanese family). Mazda is not. Mazda just makes cars. In that sense, they are rather an odd duck. Heck, even Subaru is Fuji Steel.

Yeah, but remember, big companies do joint ventures to make sure things are working before buying them. Also, I think the Japanese companies do want to look out after each other. Companies like Mitsubishi and Suzuki are huge in other things (and Mitsubishi is an old Japanese family). Mazda is not. Mazda just makes cars. In that sense, they are rather an odd duck. Heck, even Subaru is Fuji Steel.

True enough.

I worked for the communications division of NEC (Radio & Transmission Group) in the 80s. We did the backbone stuff for large corporations and phone companies (AT&T, Puerto Rico Telephone): satellite, mircowave, fiber, local & long distance radio, etc.

NEC was also into electronics, phone equipment, home audio/video stuff, computers, semiconductors, and goodness knows what else. I never really thought of Mazda being an anomaly as a one trick pony. Heck, next year they'll have their 100th anniversary.

Maybe I will go look at their stock. I usually only do mutual funds.

edit to add: What's the difference between these two Mazda Motor Corps: MZDAF and MZDAY

One is near $9 and the other is around $4.

They both have the same company profile.
I've never seen this.

Last edited:

A Mazda6 with AWD would be nice, but you have to go CX-? or now the Mazda3.

A Mazda 6 Wagon would be nice, but the closest thing is a 3 Hatch, CX-5/9.

A performance oriented Mazda6 (read Accord Sport/Civic Si like; not necessarily 'hair on fire' Mazdaspeed) would be nice, but the closest thing is a MX-5/Miata and Mazda is moving their cars to "luxury" not "sport".

A Mazda3 based Crosstrek fighter would be nice, but I guess one looks toward the new CX-30 as the CX-3 is just too dang small.

I miss the Mazda2. Put 3/6 level of refinement into the (now defunct) '2 with Miata like sporting intentions (B-spec) and you have a nice, spritely runabout; think Japanese MINI Cooper.

Variations across the board are low or non-existent. I realize that federalizing a car is expensive (~$42M), but Mazda is offering the car buyer little in the way of choice. Sure, two engines now in the '6 and CX-5, and 5 trims each with only minor additions from trim to trim. Whatever the Touring trim is should BE the base model.

I'd love to replace my 15yo VW GTI with a Mazda and have it sit next to our CX-5, but I want my car to have 3 pedals, 4 seats (4 doors not required), and I want it to STIR THE SOUL and be driver/driving focused...basically a 2+2 Miata. Nothing exists like that in the Mazda showroom.

OR, I want a 3 pedal (Mazda6) wagon like VWs, Golf Sportwagen/Alltrack...but, again, nothing exists like that at Mazda, at least here in the US.

The have options, some nice, some okay; but overall, they don't have the right mix of car options to really get people flocking to the Mazda showroom.

True enough.

I worked for the communications division of NEC (Radio & Transmission Group) in the 80s. We did the backbone stuff for large corporations and phone companies (AT&T, Puerto Rico Telephone): satellite, mircowave, fiber, local & long distance radio, etc.

NEC was also into electronics, phone equipment, home audio/video stuff, computers, semiconductors, and goodness knows what else. I never really thought of Mazda being an anomaly as a one trick pony. Heck, next year they'll have their 100th anniversary.

Maybe I will go look at their stock. I usually only do mutual funds.

edit to add: What's the difference between these two Mazda Motor Corps: MZDAF and MZDAY

One is near $9 and the other is around $4.

They both have the same company profile.
I've never seen this.

I have no idea. I was trying to figure this out myself. Are they on the same exchange?

I have no idea. I was trying to figure this out myself. Are they on the same exchange?

Here's what I found on Reddit when someone else asked this question:

MZDAF appears to be an OTC/Pinksheets representing 2 shares of MZDAY, there does not appear to be much volume on this. MZDAY appears to be an unsponsored ADR with much more volume. I'd probably stick with the more liquid of the two (MZDAY) if I were to invest in Mazda at all.
This is in response to this question being asked on the web by someone else. I found 3 instances of the same guy asking this question in various places. The Reddit response is the only one he received.

There's an explanation of OTC/Pinksheets on Investopedia. I'm not certain this definition backs up the above explanation, except the Average Volume on MZDAF is about 800 shares, while the Average Volume on MZDAY is about 75,000 shares.

It's weird and I still don't understand. The data behind each says they are the same corporation.

I don't have a broker I can ask.

A Mazda6 with AWD would be nice, but you have to go CX-? or now the Mazda3.

AWD may be coming to the 6 with the inline 6 Skyactiv-X platform based on their annual performance reports. Unfortunately it likely won*t have a third pedal if their current line up is any indicator of future options in the US.

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp27184403/mazda-6-diesel-awd-confirmed/ I just stumbled on this article. It*s likely coming much sooner with the diesel, but I*m not paying a 4K premium for that over the 2.5 gas turbo. They speculate AWD may come to the turbo model.

Last edited:
Here's what I found on Reddit when someone else asked this question:

This is in response to this question being asked on the web by someone else. I found 3 instances of the same guy asking this question in various places. The Reddit response is the only one he received.

There's an explanation of OTC/Pinksheets on Investopedia. I'm not certain this definition backs up the above explanation, except the Average Volume on MZDAF is about 800 shares, while the Average Volume on MZDAY is about 75,000 shares.

It's weird and I still don't understand. The data behind each says they are the same corporation.

I don't have a broker I can ask.

Ok so if I understand correctly, MZDAF is basically 2 shares (ish) of of MZDAY. MZDAY is an un-sponsored ADR - therefore not listed on any major exchange. Sooo.... no way to buy Mazda shares on the american market?

Sorry if I'm an idiot - I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I see Mazda Motor Corp (7261) on the Japanese exchange. You can't buy the stock directly through the Japanese exchange?

Found this in my email today. Same old thing, but at least it's something.

mazda%20email.JPG

I think if Mazda offered a hybrid version of some of their models in the U.S instead of being JDM only, they would see a good sales boost. I don't know if the CX-5 platform is capable but the previous Mazda 3 and 6 are. I think it is SkyActiv G with Toyota's hybrid system.

The RAV4 hybrid just came out not too long along and it's selling like hotcakes.

I would also imagine it would also help them achieve their NVH goals.

AWD may be coming to the 6 with the inline 6 Skyactiv-X platform based on their annual performance reports. Unfortunately it likely won*t have a third pedal if their current line up is any indicator of future options in the US.

Inline 6 would be pretty cool.

I think if Mazda offered a hybrid version of some of their models in the U.S instead of being JDM only, they would see a good sales boost. I don't know if the CX-5 platform is capable but the previous Mazda 3 and 6 are. I think it is SkyActiv G with Toyota's hybrid system.

The RAV4 hybrid just came out not too long along and it's selling like hotcakes.

I would also imagine it would also help them achieve their NVH goals.

I doubt any Mazda is hybrid equipped except 14-18 Mazda 3 which is a hybrid in Japan and Australian markets. Right now EU has Skyactiv G and few other mild hybrids. Rav4 hybrid is priced economically and actually has a smoother transmission than regular hybrid. It is well worth the premium.

Found this in my email today. Same old thing, but at least it's something.

I get that stuff, too.

Don't they know I just bought a car? And I don't appreciate them reminding me I financed my car during the window when the low rates were not being offered (not that the total payments are all that different).

I get that stuff, too.

Don't they know I just bought a car? And I don't appreciate them reminding me I financed my car during the window when the low rates were not being offered (not that the total payments are all that different).

Yeah, that smarts.

In my case, it may work, cause my wife has been making noises about a new one for her.

The CX-3 checks all the boxes for her, and it looks to me like it's not only the best car in its class, but also one of the least expensive if you just want all the safety nannies.

And today I got an email promising a $99 referral fee....

Yeah, that smarts.

In my case, it may work, cause my wife has been making noises about a new one for her.

The CX-3 checks all the boxes for her, and it looks to me like it's not only the best car in its class, but also one of the least expensive if you just want all the safety nannies.

I didn't get behind the wheel of a CX-3. Does the lighter weight compensate for the smaller engine? What's she driving now?

Yeah, that smarts.

CX-3 is very small, it's smaller than Mazda3! It has very minimum space behind the rear seat. If you want to stay with another Mazda, get a new Mazda3.

Or like me (I got a 2018 Yaris iA), get a 2019 Toyota Yaris which is a rebadged Mazda2. Yaris / Mazda2 is very similar to CX-3 with exactly the same interior but Yaris has a trunk. Like every new Toyota, you'll get 3 free maintenance including oil change and tire rotation in first 2 years on Yaris. The 1.5L with 6-speed auto has plenty of pick-up power for Yaris. When you drive a Yaris, you know you're driving a Mazda on handling. And everything you see and touch is Mazda. The real-world MPG is hybrid like at 39 mpg driving in the Bay Area. I also looked CX-3 but you'll be surprised how expensive it is. Yaris is much cheaper, now there's $1,000 cash back from Toyota. The only thing I like on CX-3 is it's made in Japan.

I didn't get behind the wheel of a CX-3. Does the lighter weight compensate for the smaller engine? What's she driving now?

She drives a Subaru Legacy. She wants to downsize, and get all of the fine safety gizmos on the CX-5. My understanding is that it is a touch quicker than the 2.5NA CX-5, but she couldn't care less about that. She hated my old Forester turbo, and how I drove it. Nor 6 speeds vs. CVT. She's also considering a Subaru Impreza.

Test drives will decide for her.

CX-3 is very small, it's smaller than Mazda3! It has very minimum space behind the rear seat. If you want to stay with another Mazda, get a new Mazda3.

Or like me (I got a 2018 Yaris iA), get a 2019 Toyota Yaris which is a rebadged Mazda2. Yaris / Mazda2 is very similar to CX-3 with exactly the same interior but Yaris has a trunk. Like every new Toyota, you'll get 3 free maintenance including oil change and tire rotation in first 2 years on Yaris. The 1.5L with 6-speed auto has plenty of pick-up power for Yaris. When you drive a Yaris, you know you're driving a Mazda on handling. And everything you see and touch is Mazda. The real-world MPG is hybrid like at 39 mpg driving in the Bay Area. I also looked CX-3 but you'll be surprised how expensive it is. Yaris is much cheaper, now there's $1,000 cash back from Toyota. The only thing I like on CX-3 is it's made in Japan.

Small is just what she wants, the smaller the better. She was talking about a Kia Soul, but I think she thought twice when I puked when she mentioned it.

The Yaris does look like a heck of a deal. BUT, no AWD, no hatchback. And it doesn't have the full complement of safety stuff, a main reason for buying.

Actually, she's thinking about a Sport with the safety package. It comes in lower than Corolla or Impreza with similar features, and it's a Mazda. They are really pushing the incentives right now.

We're open to any other suggestions.

Small is just what she wants, the smaller the better. She was talking about a Kia Soul, but I think she thought twice when I puked when she mentioned it.

The Yaris does look like a heck of a deal. BUT, no AWD, no hatchback. And it doesn't have the full complement of safety stuff, a main reason for buying.

Actually, she's thinking about a Sport with the safety package. It comes in lower than Corolla or Impreza with similar features, and it's a Mazda. They are really pushing the incentives right now.

We're open to any other suggestions.
I guess it still ends up how much money are you willing to pay. If you want a CX-3, the starting price is $21,435 with destination without color charge. Yaris' starting price is $17,665 with 6-speed auto and destination. Further, if you want AWD and i-ActivSense on CX-3 Sport, the MSRP goes up to $23,935! For comparison, I paid $13,000 before TTL for my Yaris with 3,000 miles on it. I'm happy with my Yaris which can get 39 mpg driving in the Bay area where the gas price is at least $3.23 per gallon at Costco!

I guess it still ends up how much money are you willing to pay. If you want a CX-3, the starting price is $21,435 with destination without color charge. Yaris' starting price is $17,665 with 6-speed auto and destination. Further, if you want AWD and i-ActivSense on CX-3 Sport, the MSRP goes up to $23,935! For comparison, I paid $13,000 before TTL for my Yaris with 3,000 miles on it. I'm happy with my Yaris which can get 39 mpg driving in the Bay area where the gas price is at least $3.23 per gallon at Costco!

Yeah, we're willing to pay a little more to get what she wants/needs.

Back