First oil change with low mileage use

New GTR, will drive about 6-7k a year. When would you recommend first oil change? At 5k it will be close to a year. Should I go with say 6 months instead of the 5k recommended in the manual?

5-6K or once a year, whichever comes first, is fine. I'm going to do my first oil change well before that, though, just because it is the factory fill. This is my first new car where I can do that.

I use one of these Air Power America Oil Extractors to extend intervals between oil/filter changes. Well worth the price of entry. Amazon or Walmart has the best price on 0W20.

edit: same company also makes an all metal version, but I've used mine for a while now.

Last edited:
5-6K or once a year, whichever comes first, is fine. I'm going to do my first oil change well before that, though, just because it is the factory fill. This is my first new car where I can do that.

I use one of these Air Power America Oil Extractors to extend intervals between oil/filter changes. Well worth the price of entry. Amazon or Walmart has the best price on 0W20.

edit: same company also makes an all metal version, but I've used mine for a while now.

What do you mean "extend" intervals? Are you just replacing the oil, but not the filter? I just changed the oil in ours, the old fashioned way. It can easily be done without even lifting the vehicle.

OP: 12 months, or 5k miles should be fine.

That is correct. I have been draining and refilling oil around 3-4,000 miles and getting it changed along with the filter 3,000 miles later. My last vehicle was a pain to change oil in, with skidplates that need to be removed. I'm glad to hear it's easier on the CX.

Last edited:
That is correct. I have been draining and refilling oil around 3-4,000 miles and getting it changed along with the filter 3,000 miles later. My last vehicle was a pain to change oil in, with skidplates that need to be removed. I'm glad to hear it's easier on the CX.

I think it best to change the oil the conventional way. The CX-5 has the drain and filter positioned such that it is so easy to change. That pump may not get all of the oil out. And for 7 to 9 bucks more you can have a clean filter. The first filter will have a lot of junk caught in it and the filter element all dirty, why run clean oil through that.

Yes, because the factory fill has very high content of molybdenum.

No it doesnt.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4549396/2017_CX-9_First_UOA_on_Factory

full-54921-14120-17_cx9_171002_redacted.jpg

Last edited:
But the High Moly is ONLY the 0W-20 and that was NOT what the factory OEM fill was for the turbo.

Changed at 2k with Mazda moly 0w20, then again at 5k with Idemitsu Zepro 0w20 high moly (supposed to be same as Mazda oil).

Only like to change early to get break-in wear metals out.

New GTR, will drive about 6-7k a year. When would you recommend first oil change? At 5k it will be close to a year. Should I go with say 6 months instead of the 5k recommended in the manual?
Why dont you use Flexible oil change interval, which is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first, and is recommended by Mazda?

Changed at 2k with Mazda moly 0w20, then again at 5k with Idemitsu Zepro 0w20 high moly (supposed to be same as Mazda oil).

Only like to change early to get break-in wear metals out.
Changing oil more often with right oil is good to the engine, but bad to the environment because oil is a non-renewable and dwindling global resource. It had been discussed before, that more than half of the used oil recycled actually burned even in California!

Used Motor Oil Recycling

I can never understand why are people worried about metal shavings in factory oil from a new engine nowadays. The manufacture process is much more advanced, and metal shavings from a modern new engine is very minimum. Besides, theres a thing called oil filter, which will keep any harmful metal shavings if any in it so that the oil is fine to do its job.

You don't think 12 months is too long for first change? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

I don't see how time elapsed matters. Oil doesn't go bad sitting in the sump. Some people say the additives deteriorate, but that seems insignificant. But to keep the warranty happy, do it every 12 months if you drive less than 5k/yr. Otherwise, every 5k under "severe" usage, 7.5K "normal".

You don't think 12 months is too long for first change? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
Mazdas oil life monitor used for Flexible OCI will start to calculate time since the vehicle left the factory from my experience of driving a couple of loaner CX-5s from my Mazda dealer. So if you drive minimum miles on your CX-5, the Oil change due notification should be displayed 12 months from the assembly date, which may be mean 6~10 months for CX-5 owners due to the time for transportation and sitting in the dealers lot. Of course you can always change factory oil earlier as long as you feel comfortable, just remember to reset the oil life monitor after the oil change.

Personally I did my first oil change when my oil life showing 30% at ~5,250 miles and 9 months. Gen-2 CX-5 has different way to display oil life left with miles, which is confusing to me at the least. If you use good full synthetic oil, changing oil once a year with less than 7,500 miles is perfectly fine based on many used oil analyses. More importantly, by following the Flexible OCI you actually follow Mazdas recommendation to maximize the oil life for engine protection, and keep the warranty intact.

While it certainly is NOT necessary, I have always done my first oil change once I hit the end of the break-in period, on every car I've owned. That's just me, being ultra conservative.

While it certainly is NOT necessary, I have always done my first oil change once I hit the end of the break-in period, on every car I've owned. That's just me, being ultra conservative.
I used to change factory oil at 1.000 miles because the owner's manual says so. Metal shavings from the new engine were the main concern. But I believe that's the thing of past with much more advanced manufacture process, and the owner's manual is no longer recommending early oil change for factory fill. Some companies such as Honda are even specifically stated in the owner's manual that don't change factory oil early as they use special break-in oil from factory!

I've changed my habit of changing the factory oil early, but not really follow the Flexible OCI by changing oil approximately at 30% of oil life left which is about 5,250 miles for my driving habit. Any harmful wear metals if any will get trapped by oil filter, those passed filtering won't do any harm to the engine. Many UOA's have shown there's no issue with 8,000-mile OCI for CX-5 2.5L NA. The fact of burning recycled used oil (and the laziness since I change oil by myself) also makes me wanting to keep the oil longer than I want to, especially the first oil change on a new car. ;)

Last edited:
Back