Best Off-Road/Mud/Snow Tires

kjh1127

:
2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD
I am interested in getting better tires for off-road, steep, muddy roads at my hunting camp. In dry conditions I can get up the mountain to our camp fine. In damp conditions I can barely get up. In muddy/snowy conditions I can get about halfway up before My tires just spin and the AWD shuts it self down to prevent overheating the transfer case. It's probably a 30-40 degree angled slope with some deep ruts that I get stuck in. I never bottom out the chassis.

How much better would these tires perform over the stock all-seasons?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=2014&autoModel=CX-5&autoModClar=Touring AWD

Obviously you guys don't know what the terrain I'm talking about is really like unless you saw it in person, but should I expect a pretty significant improvement and allow the tires to bite into the mud better? I still want something I can drive daily to and from work during the winter time and double as my "winter tires" and swap on all seasons for the summer.

We need to see some footage of the CX-5 climbing this hill before recommending any tires :)

Ideally, you would probably want to run AT tires in the summer and Winter tires in the winter.
The AT tires will do well in mud, but might not be much better than the all-seasons in the snow.

The other option would be to get dedicated winter tires and to use them well into the spring as long as the terrain is muddy. Some winter tires can provide adequate (not good, just good enough not to kill you) performance even on warm dry pavement.

What piotrek said.

I'm scratching my head at why Michelin thought it was a good idea to introduce that tire in a LT225/65R17... unless there really is that much of a market that doesn't understand the importance of matching a tire to the rest of a vehicle's suspension.

A Firestone Destination A/T in P235/65R17 would be a much better match to the CX-5. There are a bunch of good tires in that size, if you don't like the Firestones. Just stay away from LT-metric tires.

I am interested in getting better tires for off-road, steep, muddy roads at my hunting camp. In dry conditions I can get up the mountain to our camp fine. In damp conditions I can barely get up. In muddy/snowy conditions I can get about halfway up before My tires just spin and the AWD shuts it self down to prevent overheating the transfer case. It's probably a 30-40 degree angled slope with some deep ruts that I get stuck in.

I seriously doubt its a 30-40 degree slope. If it is, you don't need new tires, you need a winch. The steepest paved roads in the world are only about 20 degrees off horizontal (and they are so steep you will likely feel a little uncomfortable driving them even with clean bare concrete).

I seriously doubt its a 30-40 degree slope. If it is, you don't need new tires, you need a winch. The steepest paved roads in the world are only about 20 degrees off horizontal (and they are so steep you will likely feel a little uncomfortable driving them even with clean bare concrete).

I thought the same thing, but I decided to let it go. (drinks)

Okay doubters, I'll take pictures next time I'm there. I'll bring an electronic level with an angle readout. Okay, maybe not 40, but I swear it's got t be atleast 30-degrees. These are old skid roads for sliding trees down a mountain.

All that being said, would tire-chains be any better a solution? I don't need the super mud capability year, or even season round, but if I could get that traction with tire chains and just throw them on once I arrive at the base of the mountain, that'd be a lot cheaper for me.

Maximum driving speed would be around 5mph

Last edited:
If you don't get chains really tight (which is often hard to do alongside the road or out on the trail), they expand out a bit and start hitting the wheel well. Given that there is not a whole lot of clearance to begin with our our wheel wells, these might damage the vehicle. To climb in snow and mud, you'll want a self-cleaning tread. The problem with all terrain tires like that is that they are louder than road tires (which will probably become a real issue given the lack of soundproofing in our cars), and don't have as much rubber on the road as "street" tires, and thus you'll not have as good of traction on pavement. Get an ATV or a Jeep, I think you're asking too much of your CX-5 in this case.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I will give the chains a try this year and let you know how it goes

I'd be very interested to see a pic of this trail, and/or your CX in action on it, if you get a chance!

Flymo

If you get the chains get a couple of sets of rubber "adjusters". they will keep the chains tight at low speed. Practice putting them on once in a dry level place. Never wait until you are stuck. You can still get them on but you will be grumpy all day.

If I had to drive that road, first I would be happy to have such a nice place at the end of the road. Second, I would have a come along, or a portable electric winch.

I would be tempted to set up the winch so it fastened to a modified rod that screws into the tow hook socket and have a socket installed to connect it to. They are available with a wireless remote.

If the road is private it might be cheaper and easier to get a used ATV and trailer it, or park it at a neighbors. (It is also fun)

Thanks for the input on the rubber tensioners - I was planning on getting those as well, but thanks for mentioning that in case someone else wanted to do something similar and didn't know.

I do have an area just before the off-road area starts that is paved that I can jack the car up to install the chains. And yes, I plan on practicing multiple times before I actually go to use them.

I'll capture some footage during my next attempt .

I had considered the ATV/trailer route, but that is obviously a decently expensive option compared to chains. If the chains don't work, then maybe I do that. We are going to need a new family SUV within the year in addition to the CX-5, so I'm leaning towards wanting a 4Runner Trail, but not sure if I can swing that expense with the wife. I might have to tow a 4Wheeler.

Really hoping the chains work!

Any update on this one? How well did the chains work out? I'm curious myself if chains are a viable option for a short, muddy, steep section of forest road.

I highly recommend that you go for Goodyear Duratrac Tires.

Uh... no. No ******* way.

That's a commercial pickup tire. It's made for trucks with solid axles and leaf springs. The closest you'd come to finding a size that would even fit the CX-5 would weigh 41 pounds, would have to be inflated to 40+ psi to meet your load requirement, and ride like total s***. As an added bonus, it's only got an S speed rating.

Stay away. Stay far, far away.

Any update on this one? How well did the chains work out? I'm curious myself if chains are a viable option for a short, muddy, steep section of forest road.

i bought the chains and tensioners and they look pretty aggressive. im going to try them out in a few weeks when go down to my camp. ill report back when i do.

Interesting, my CX-5 came with a Tire Chain Disclaimer that stated "As equipped, this vehicle may not be operated with tire chains but may accommodate some other type of tire traction device. See the owners manual for details" (see image below). I had to sign an acknowledgement that I received this disclosure. I assume if there is any tire chain damage then I'm on the hook for it. Did the '14's not have this?

Last edited:
Interesting, my CX-5 came with a Tire Chain Disclaimer that stated "As equipped, this vehicle may not be operated with tire chains but may accommodate some other type of tire traction device. See the owners manual for details" (see image below). I had to sign an acknowledgement that I received this disclosure. I assume if there is any tire chain damage then I'm on the hook for it. Did the '14's not have this?

Weird. My '14 did not have that. In fact, the user manual even states you can use them (on the front tires).

Interesting... is that a California thing? I never received anything like that.

At least 6 separate pages in owners manual discussing use with warnings & cautions as well

I haven't had to use them but I purchased the following set last year. I've only seen this a few times in the last 15-20 years but ice storms do occur and chains can be required in our mountain passes on all vehicles even with AWD...regardless of snow tires.

http://www.tirechainsupply.com/product108.html

Latest posts

Back