Small Leak on Top of Engine (Sensor ?)

:
2013 CX-5 Sport Manual
I just changed the oil of my 2013 2.0 CX-5 and notice oiliness on the engine head. First time I am noticing it, 57K miles.
It seems like the leak comes from a sensor of some sort (See image attached).

Anyone knows what this sensor is called?
Is it common problem?
Will dealership fix it under warranty?

Thanks.

Attachments

• leak2.jpg
    leak2.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 2,047
I doubt that this is a common problem, but then I doubt that very many DIY owners here pull the engine cover off when they change the oil (I know I don't). So the area of concern will largely remain unseen by most people. What you show appears to be more of a "weeping" situation than an actual leak, but if you are still within warranty, I can't see how a dealer could deny a warranty claim.

I doubt very much that a dealer would qualify this as a leak. Maybe it is just some lubricant they use to install the sensor. Leave it and forget it, is what I would do. ed

You guys are right. It's not a big deal but I am nearing the warranty miles and I started checking here and there
Any one knows what this sensor (if it's actually a sensor) for ? I notice my 2014 Ford also has a similar one on the same spot.

Good strategy to be super-vigilant as your warranty expiration approaches. It's saved my ass a couple of times. I would get this seepage taken care of while you still can. Looks to maybe be just a case of replacing that rubber collar at the base of the sensor. Probably take 10 minutes!

Is it one of the Camshaft Position Sensors? I've had one of those with a small leak on a former vehicle. PCV looks to be on the other side of motor according to FSM.

I am trying to find out my self.

that looks like the Oil Control Valve:

HDSKpr2.jpg

Looks like replacing it is not the easiest thing in the world (you have to remove the cylinder head cover). I think it would be a good idea to show the leak (seep?) to the dealer and see what they think. It's definitely an "Internally Lubricated" part of the engine so it should be covered under the power train warranty.

The dealer said it is VVT actuator valve or sensor (didn't pay much attention). It will be covered under warranty. Waiting for parts. Will update the thread with part # once I see the paperwork.

Hi, old post but I'm having this same issue. 2015 3 with the 2.0. 55k miles. Dealer replaced it and it's still leaking. Took it back again and they said it wasn't leaking and it was residual oil (it's not). Not sure what to do. Oh, the 2015 6 loaner car they lent me is also weeping. I checked LOL. Must be a common issue.

Clean the "residual oil" off, take a picture (before and after), revisit the dealer before your power train warranty is up if it still weeps. This is another Mazda issue that was supposed to have been resolved years ago. I'm surprised they're loaning out 3 year old cars. Dealers around here loan only the latest and greatest to try to get you to buy.

That's more common and one may think. Mine 2.5 does it and I know of Gen 2 skyactiv mazda 3s that do it as well.

Thanks for the feedback. So what is actually causing this? The odd thing is, the new one they put on I feel is leaking/weeping more than the original, but it was fine several weeks after they did it. It didn't start leaking again until 3 months after they replaced it. Crankcase vacuum issue? Oh and the first time they did the job they rushed it and didn't properly seal the valve cover so they had to redo that. That was another incovenience.

I'm going to take it back to the dealer asap. I know they don't want to do the job being it's under warranty. It really does seem like this is a common issue. My friends 3 and his gf's 3 both weep, but they are around 100k+ miles, not 55k. When I saw the loaner car's OCV weeping with only 34k I was surprised and realized this must be very common.

The car has been flawless otherwise. This is very frustrating even if it's a relatively minor issue.

imho...not really an issue.

Yeah in the grand scheme of things I agree. I personally don't think there should be any leaks in an engine that is only 4 years old, but it's not the end of the world. I'm debating on whether to press them to fix it. I want to see how much it leaks.

Yeah in the grand scheme of things I agree. I personally don't think there should be any leaks in an engine that is only 4 years old, but it's not the end of the world. I'm debating on whether to press them to fix it. I want to see how much it leaks.

Unlike our CX-5, our mazda6 2.5 engine has and are known to have some "weepage" from the engine cover gasket backside. Facing the windshield. This does not appear on the CX-5's 2.0 engine though. Does not affect anything at all. I simply wipe it down every 20k miles or so? All it is part of the gasket gets wet from weepage and attracts dirt.

That said I have not really paid attention to that sensor on the CX-5 yet.

Now a dripping leakage.....yeah that's important. More so on the lower part of the engine.

Last edited:
Back