2003.5 roof rack clips?

holy old post batman....

Sounds like you got the factory rack components for the P5 and don't have the corrensponding factory rails....

Some models came with no rack from the factory and don't have the rails on the roof...Someone will trade you for the rails...it is a bit of work to switch, but I'd be sure someone would do the trade if you want the rack.

Hello, don't know if anybody looks at these forums anymore but thought I would give it a try. So I've always loved the Protege5. I finally found one in good condition about 2 years ago. I have been wanting to get the OEM roof rack for a while now, since the one I have did not come with one. I suppose you could call it a "2003.5" since it has the spare tire subwoofer and no roof rack. I recently picked up an OEM roof rack at a local junkyard. When I went to go put it on my car, there weren't any holes to mount the rack to the roof. I don't know why they wouldn't put the holes for the rack on in the first place. My model is not a Canadian. I don't know why Mazda makes things complicated sometimes. Just wondering if anybody has had this problem and has had to drill their own holes before. Thank you

Hello, don't know if anybody looks at these forums anymore but thought I would give it a try. So I've always loved the Protege5. I finally found one in good condition about 2 years ago. I have been wanting to get the OEM roof rack for a while now, since the one I have did not come with one. I suppose you could call it a "2003.5" since it has the spare tire subwoofer and no roof rack. I recently picked up an OEM roof rack at a local junkyard. When I went to go put it on my car, there weren't any holes to mount the rack to the roof. I don't know why they wouldn't put the holes for the rack on in the first place. My model is not a Canadian. I don't know why Mazda makes things complicated sometimes. Just wondering if anybody has had this problem and has had to drill their own holes before. Thank you

Holy necrophilia, nearly 11 years since last post that you're replying to :eek:

Anyway, there should already be holes underneath the strips on the roof. Have you removed the strips first and checked underneath?
Should look like this (img from google)
cache.php

Last edited:
Haha yeah well I was nine 11 years ago so I just thought I would try! And no there aren't any holes under the strips. When it came from the factory, it came with either the roof rack or the subwoofer and mine had the subwoofer. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with drilling their own holes.

I would personally hesitate from drilling holes because it seems really difficult to seal them and I would worry about them leaking.
That whole rail area could fill up with water and just sit there.

On a related note, does anyone know what the threaded brackets are for on my car?
I thought it was to bolt on the factory racks but I guess there's separate holes for that ?

Well either way, there are going to be holes if there's a roof rack. Whether it came from the factory or DIY. Anyway, I did have some luck drilling holes and installing the rack. And I read something about those other brackets possibly being used to mount aftermarket roof racks.

I did a bit of Googling and found out that Canada offered a Thule roof rack for the Canadian market provided by the dealer.

It just bolts on to the brackets... No need to drill holes in the roof or remove the headliner... Just bolt it to the factory installed brackets.

That is super cool. I personally just liked the look and originality of normal stock roof rack. I also like a little challenge while learning more about my car!

I tried to order a roof rack from the dealer about 5 or 6 years ago and at the time he said there was nothing available anywhere.
He checked warehouses all over the world.

I didn't know about the Canadian version at the time so I assume he was looking for the Canadian Thule version.

He did say if he found one it would cost around $700-$800.

Back