2013~2016 Miles remaining always goes down faster when theres less fuel

:
2016 CX5 GT
Miles remaining always goes down faster when theres less fuel

This isnt necessarily a Mazda problem, but an automotive problem in general. It seems like and maybe this isnt the case, but fuel tanks are almost like upside down pyramids. When the fuel level gets lower, the fuel consumption is much faster or the computer calculates the miles remaining wrong. For example it could say I have 16 miles left in the tank, I travel 2 miles and it says I only have 10 miles left in the tank. Its like the system cannot do simple math. This was more an issue in VW because their miles remaining only displayed in 5 mile increments. I greatly appreciate the additional granularity of 1 mile increments in Mazdas, and the issue isnt as severe as in VW/Audi group cars. In my GTI I would regularly see it say like 30 miles left and I drive 2 miles and it would drop down to 15 miles. It would frustrate the f@!k out of me, constantly berating the engineers who couldnt do simple math. Then someone on the VWVortex forums said think of the tank as an upsidedown pyramid. As the level gets lower and The fuel gauge goes down, theres less volume at the lower portion of the tank so whats there is consumed faster, and to keep costs down the miles remaining is simply a dumb calculation based on the level of fuel, not a complex computational powerhouse computer.

Im just wondering if all cars are like this, or is it just cars with liquid based fuel? Is the range or miles left more accurate on electric or alternative fuel cars (hydrogen, natural gas)?

I guess what Im looking for is are there any cars that say when you have 10 miles left it doesnt say you have 9 miles left until you actually travel 1 mile. What cars are closer to a 1:1 ratio in the range display?

Miles remaining always goes down faster when theres less fuel

Mazda should emphasize those MPG related calculations are approximate like inaccurate oil capacity and many other fluid capacities listed in specifications!

Just remember even if the Distance to Empty shows 0, you still have about 60 miles to go on CX-5 with 2.5L until you actually running out of the gas! (And its been proven ⋯ ;))

Ok it said I had 6 miles remaining when I pulled into the gas station. It started off at 14 miles remaining? But then I drove 2 miles to the gas station.

I put in 12.797 gallons.

Back