Good Q&A from a Mazda dealer

:
Honda Prelude 2001
Good article regarding sales of the cx9, looks like cx9 sales was not up to expectation and dealers hoping Mazda will start offering incentives.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...recover-from-a-rough-2016?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Odd looks like the link needs you to sign in to read it, but the link from google news worked. Here the Q&A related to cx9, I do recommend to read the full article if you can.

Why are sales of the CX-9 so disappointing?

We were expecting this vehicle to really take off. The manufacturer has told us there are plans to get the vehicle back into mainstream marketing and go from there.

The unique thing about the CX-9 is dealers across the country are seeing high success levels on the Signature model, which is the most expensive model that we make, something we've never sold in the past. Those cars seem to be flying out of the showrooms. But our midlevel model seems to be a little stale. That's where we really want to launch. That's where we had our volume in previous years.

If the Signature model is high-end, aren't dealers making good profit on it?

Dealers have a nice margin on that vehicle, yes. But there are not a lot of them. Mazda has gone into production and started to make more CX-9 Signatures.

But again, we need to have the volume. Not everyone can afford a $47,000 SUV when you can get a fabulously equipped $38,000 one. That was our sweet spot with the previous model in the previous years.

How are Mazda's dealer incentive programs? Any new ones?

We don't know of anything new that is coming. Some dealers are screaming for incentives to get the brand moving.

Mazda is aware of the situation, and what I've noticed, from being on their dealer council for the last three years, is they identify a problem, and they'll come to market with something. My personal opinion is that Mazda would rather spend their money on marketing their brand than incentivizing their vehicles.

What do dealers want?

We want both.

Last edited:
Yes this does make sense.

With the signature model, it is a more tempting buy which offers luxuries that are similar to Audi level interiors.
I guess with so many other options in the Touring pricing from Hyundai to Kia it is leaving less customers for Mazda, that's a very price competitive area.

And Mazda certainly do need to start offering more incentives right now, especially on the model year 16 CX-9, they should have had a '17 out before Christmas. It made me hesitate a couple of weeks ago on buying one.

However Mazda are better than most with responding to Customers, so hopefully they will implement some incentives soon.

Why are sales disappointing?

1. It's a Mazda, which doesn't have the same clout or sales volume as Honda, Toyota and Nissan. People, in general, are just less familiar with their reputation. And most family SUV buyers don't care a lick about the fact that the CX-9 will drive and handle better than all of the competitors--Mazda really overplays that aspect.

2. It's a 4-cylinder in a class of V6's. People in general are not aware of torque v HP. They just hear it's a smaller engine, and they are done. Some may still be gun shy about turbos, thinking they are still unreliable like 80s turbo engines.

3. Although the vehicle is larger on the exterior than a Highlander or Santa Fe, there is not nearly as much usable space inside. A lower number in the class.

The big issue with Mazda-as a family vehicle- is perception. The majority of buyers looking for a family 7 passenger SUV won't even think about the cx-9, probably have never heard of the cx9, and therefore never test drive the cx-9(which would solve the v6 vs 4 cylinder issue for most).
When most buyers think of Mazda, they think compact car. The success of the cx5 may be slowly changing that, bit it will take time.
What percentage of buyers know that Mazda has a 7 passenger vehicle? I'm sure not very many.
Those looking for a "premium" near luxury SUV have a much higher likelihood of shopping the cx9 as their is much less competition there. The dealer I purchased from has sold 14 signature and GT trims, and 0! of the lower trims. They can't keep the GT and sig in stock, yet haven't managed to sell one of the lower trims. That's crazy!
As for people not caring about driving dynamics- that may be partially true. But it is also a "you don't know what you are missing until you try it". My wife in no way used to care about how a vehicle drove- she previously had a Kia and ford- yet does she ever love and appreciate how the cx9 drives- and she did from the first test drive. It may be smart for Mazda to provide incentives just to test drive the cx9.

I don't buy the theory that the reason why Mazda's sales figure is not good is because the Mazda name is not popular enough like Honda, Toyota and Nissan. Hyundai can get big sales volume right now with a name nobody knows at beginning! CX-9 could sell 34,421 units in the US in 2011, but only 16,015 units in 2016 even with a new design! Granted the first 4~5 months of sales were 1st-gen CX-9, but the sales figure in the US for 2nd-gen CX-9 definitely is a big disappointment for Mazda. Most people treat their vehicle as an appliance nowadays. They want value, which means more amenities, quality, and reliability with low price! I believe Mazda has offered not enough on these three hence many customers bought their first Mazda and left for other brand of vehicles. Mazda Motor Corp. CEO Masamichi Kogai knows the issue of their very low retention rate currently at 37% whereas the industry average is at 49%!

Mazda looks to next-gen CX-5 for a lift

Mazda's U.S. retention rate is a lackluster 37 percent. While that is up from around 26 percent in 2011, Kogai concedes "it's not that great." He wants it to top 60 percent in five years. "In Japan, the retention rate is more than 50 percent," he said. "We want the U.S. rate to catch up."

The big issue with Mazda-as a family vehicle- is perception. The majority of buyers looking for a family 7 passenger SUV won't even think about the cx-9, probably have never heard of the cx9, and therefore never test drive the cx-9(which would solve the v6 vs 4 cylinder issue for most).
When most buyers think of Mazda, they think compact car. The success of the cx5 may be slowly changing that, bit it will take time.
What percentage of buyers know that Mazda has a 7 passenger vehicle? I'm sure not very many.
Those looking for a "premium" near luxury SUV have a much higher likelihood of shopping the cx9 as their is much less competition there. The dealer I purchased from has sold 14 signature and GT trims, and 0! of the lower trims. They can't keep the GT and sig in stock, yet haven't managed to sell one of the lower trims. That's crazy!
As for people not caring about driving dynamics- that may be partially true. But it is also a "you don't know what you are missing until you try it". My wife in no way used to care about how a vehicle drove- she previously had a Kia and ford- yet does she ever love and appreciate how the cx9 drives- and she did from the first test drive. It may be smart for Mazda to provide incentives just to test drive the cx9.

Don't forget there is also a stigma on the brand Mazda which stems back from Ford ownership days in terms of reliability and the so called "rusting" issues that plagued it although most Mazda owners are now aware that anything past 2012 model yrs that the rusting issues were already addressed and are now gone. Even when Mazda already broke away from Ford most people still are not aware...I really believe that a lot of people shy away from the brand because of all those negative images from the past. Personally I don't mind that it is not a huge company and brand like Honda, Nissan and Toyota since mazda is more of a niche brand and I still like the exclusivity factor when driving around that you don't see the same exact vehicle pretty much wherever you go on the roads. My only fear is that if they become a huge mainstream brand that sells a ton of units that there will be some trade offs and cutting of corners (to be larger) just like toyota did yrs ago that's why they got affected with the sudden acceleration issues and reliability/quality could be compromised as well as losing that exclusivity factor.

Last edited:
If a car looks good, drives well and is reliable past 100k miles I will buy it. Even if it is made in the USA. Have not seen many of those lately. My best luck has come from Japan mostly, although my Maxima had issues here and there. My first wife's Mazda was good.

Got 500 miles on the new CX-5 and it is definitely better engineered than my CRV. If it lasts 150k over 3 years with no problems I will testify. So far so good, but it's only been a few days. Mazda can turn into the jewel from Japan if they build a superior product. I don't see them cutting corners like Toyota.

⋯ I don't see them cutting corners like Toyota.
When Mazda changed 8-way power driver's seat to 6 ways、eliminated memory and auto tilt-down feature for outside rearview mirrors on new 2nd-gen CX-9, I consider they cut corners because those were available on previous-gen CX-9. When Mazda ridiculously offers no memory function for power driver's seat on CX-5 for US customers but available even in Canada, I consider they cut corners. When Mazda refuses to offer many nice features to US customers such as i-stop、i-ELOOP、passenger side camera、front parking sensor、rear Smart City Brake Support、glove compartment light、one-touch up-down power window at four corners with illuminated switches which are available on other regions, I consider they cut corners. When Mazda refuses to offer very simple rear AC vents on CX-5 which is available on all other competitors, I consider they cut corners. When the caliper pins are not properly lubricated, engine oil、coolant、and rear differential gear lubricant under-filled from factory, and the windshield is so easy to break on CX-5, I consider they cut corners.

I'm waiting for the incentives, comparing the cx9 to the pilot and I would automatically lose 5k in value after a 4 year lease.

Mazda's other vehicles offer a much better value than CX-9 does, simple. That is why they sell a boatload of CX-5s and Mazda3s.

When Mazda changed 8-way power driver's seat to 6 ways、eliminated memory and auto tilt-down feature for outside rearview mirrors on new 2nd-gen CX-9, I consider they cut corners because those were available on previous-gen CX-9.

As much as this feature has been admonished for its absence, I have to say that it was a deal-breaker for me. I'm not sure if they fixed this for 2017, but I haven't heard anyone confirming that it was added back.

I anxiously wait for the VW Atlas.

Also the fact that the quality of leather stitching is poor and loose at the seams. A few reviewers have noted. Mazda's other vehicles have better built interiors. I guess the Japanese guitar and samurai sword makers took all their money :D I don't really care for real wood.

When Mazda changed 8-way power driver's seat to 6 ways、eliminated memory and auto tilt-down feature for outside rearview mirrors on new 2nd-gen CX-9, I consider they cut corners because those were available on previous-gen CX-9. When Mazda ridiculously offers no memory function for power driver's seat on CX-5 for US customers but available even in Canada, I consider they cut corners. When Mazda refuses to offer many nice features to US customers such as i-stop、i-ELOOP、passenger side camera、front parking sensor、rear Smart City Brake Support、glove compartment light、one-touch up-down power window at four corners with illuminated switches which are available on other regions, I consider they cut corners. When Mazda refuses to offer very simple rear AC vents on CX-5 which is available on all other competitors, I consider they cut corners. When the caliper pins are not properly lubricated, engine oil、coolant、and rear differential gear lubricant under-filled from factory, and the windshield is so easy to break on CX-5, I consider they cut corners.
+1 I would add cheap thin brakes that wear prematurely, rotors that warp, vibrating mirrors and hood, rattles, growns, engine vibration, uncomfortable worn out seats, no one touch windows, or even lit switches, wind leaks, windows that sound like they will break any day now, cheap NAV and under powered engine. The 2017 should fix some of this, but not upgrading the engine is ridiculous. Our CX5 is almost 4 years old with 50,000 miles and it feels more like 10! I will have it paid off in April and can't wait to trade it in before it falls apart. First and last Mazda.

As a new buyer of a CX-9 I can tell you why people are not buying this truck. I'm going to compare my former Chevy Traverse vs. Mazda CX-9.

Competition: Coming from a Chevy Traverse you would think the Mazda CX-9 is miles ahead of such a new Chevy offering but it's not the case.

My former Chevy had a 6 inch longer wheelbase, it has more cubic storage space in the rear, more room for second row and third passengers, in fact it was a 8 passenger truck not 7 like the Mazda. If you would like to see the comparison it's here.http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/chevrolet_traverse_2015-vs-mazda_cx-9_2015

This is one that really bothered me, the Traverse has so much more storage. In the center of the dash you hit a button and there is a 12 long by 5 inch deep area for stuff. The center console has two areas for storage, the armrest opens up then then under the armrest in the center console is a deep area plus the cup holders. The Mazda center console on my 2015 has just the armrest area or if you want to store in the cup area which I don't (used for...well...drinks). All the stuff I used to store I had to remove.

The Chevy also had rear A/C vents in the ceiling for second and third row passengers, my Mazda just has the center two vent system.

The Chevy had power supply for second and third row passengers, my 2015 no second row power and if third row needs power it's behind the third row seat (horrible location).

The Chevy with basically the same power plant got better gas mileage on both the city and highway. Chevy 3.6L / 281HP vs Mazda 3.7L / 273HP.

So in my opinion Mazda is behind on really simple things. You're probably wonder why I bought the Mazda then. The Chevy was great but it was in and out of the dealership for repairs quite often. Even with the extended warranty with a $100 deductible it got quite expensive. Let's hope the Mazda don't have issues.

As a new buyer of a CX-9 I can tell you why people are not buying this truck. I'm going to compare my former Chevy Traverse vs. Mazda CX-9.

Competition: Coming from a Chevy Traverse you would think the Mazda CX-9 is miles ahead of such a new Chevy offering but it's not the case.

My former Chevy had a 6 inch longer wheelbase, it has more cubic storage space in the rear, more room for second row and third passengers, in fact it was a 8 passenger truck not 7 like the Mazda. If you would like to see the comparison it's here.http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/chevrolet_traverse_2015-vs-mazda_cx-9_2015

This is one that really bothered me, the Traverse has so much more storage. In the center of the dash you hit a button and there is a 12 long by 5 inch deep area for stuff. The center console has two areas for storage, the armrest opens up then then under the armrest in the center console is a deep area plus the cup holders. The Mazda center console on my 2015 has just the armrest area or if you want to store in the cup area which I don't (used for...well...drinks). All the stuff I used to store I had to remove.

The Chevy also had rear A/C vents in the ceiling for second and third row passengers, my Mazda just has the center two vent system.

The Chevy had power supply for second and third row passengers, my 2015 no second row power and if third row needs power it's behind the third row seat (horrible location).

The Chevy with basically the same power plant got better gas mileage on both the city and highway. Chevy 3.6L / 281HP vs Mazda 3.7L / 273HP.

So in my opinion Mazda is behind on really simple things. You're probably wonder why I bought the Mazda then. The Chevy was great but it was in and out of the dealership for repairs quite often. Even with the extended warranty with a $100 deductible it got quite expensive. Let's hope the Mazda don't have issues.

You know you have an older model right that was a 5 year old hold over? That model sold OK because people liked the drive and the looks.

Mazda's other vehicles offer a much better value than CX-9 does, simple. That is why they sell a boatload of CX-5s and Mazda3s.
No, Mazda doesn't sell boatloads of CX-5s and Mazda3's. The best selling CX-5 for Mazda sold only 112,235 units in the US for 2016 which is the lowest sales figures among all compact CUVs. The top three compact CUVs, Honda CR-V at 357,335 units, Toyota RAV4 at 352,154 units, and Nissan Rogue at 329,904 units, all sold three time more than CX-5!

It's relative. I see as much cx5s on road as I see Crvs and rav4s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know you have an older model right that was a 5 year old hold over? That model sold OK because people liked the drive and the looks.

Yeah I understand and my Chevy Traverse was a 2012 also 5 years which is why I compared them. I know in 2016 it all changed which is also why in every sentence I said my 2015.

Mazda should have adapted what Chevy had done in 2012 and each year made the little things better. More storage, more power plugs, more USB's, the simple things.

No, Mazda doesn't sell boatloads of CX-5s and Mazda3's. The best selling CX-5 for Mazda sold only 112,235 units in the US for 2016 which is the lowest sales figures among all compact CUVs. The top three compact CUVs, Honda CR-V at 357,335 units, Toyota RAV4 at 352,154 units, and Nissan Rogue at 329,904 units, all sold three time more than CX-5!

Well, I am sure it would take a couple of boats to hold 112,000 CX-5s. So technically, they do sell boatloads.

Back