2017~2024 Best method for removing ice on windscreen on 2018 GT De-icer

I haven't had to remove ice or frost that much but when I do its usually before I've had enough coffee to remember how to do it.

The window de-icer and defogger mystify me do they work or should I just go at the ice/frost with an ice scraper and would this create scratches on glass?

From what I understand from the manual, you turn on the car, turn on the back defogger which turns on the front de-icer (does this work really?), then turn on the front defogger which blasts air at the windows and windscreen (turn temp to 84 or highest setting)

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/05030902.html

is there a better method?

any advice from more seasoned winter folk?

Park toward the east if you can.
A plastic scraper should not scratch the glass.
There are great chemical de-icers in a can. I've never had a problem with them, but some people may feel they are harmful to their paint.
And yes, blast the defroster at max temp and turn on the back DEFOGGER. Notice that they don't call it a de-icer!
Leave a few extra minutes to do all this so that you're not in a hurry and do a bad job of it.

When expecting bad weather lots of people cover their windshields with something, a towel or similar, the night before. Then in the morning just remove the towel and there you go.

It shouldn't, but it does. I've got the scratches to prove it. I suppose it could be my technique or the scraper I'm using too.

I've heard of people using a solution of isopropyl alcohol and water in a spray bottle as a cheaper alternative to the de-icing spray. https://glassdoctor.com/blog/the-fastest-way-to-de-ice-your-windshield

Yep, I like to use diluted methanol, and it's cheap. I get a gallon of methanol at the local kart track for $3, and it last forever ever. Also use it in the windshield washer fluid reservoir as an everyday type cleaner when needed.

I just blast the back defogger which tends to de-ice pretty well too. I then also full blast the front de-icer and let it do it's thing.

I also switch my windshield fluid to a de-icing fluid in the winter.

I use windshield washer fluid that is good to -45C. As long as the wipers aren't frozen to the windshield, give it a couple squirts and the ice will be gone.

It shouldn't, but it does. I've got the scratches to prove it. I suppose it could be my technique or the scraper I'm using too.
No, plastic can't scratch glass. Glass is harder than plastic. But it could be sand on your scraper or something similarly hard.

No, plastic can't scratch glass. Glass is harder than plastic. But it could be sand on your scraper or something similarly hard.

Probably. Still, unless its absolutely necessary, I wouldn't use a scraper on the glass. It's safer to use a de-icing spray.

The scraper itself wouldn't scratch it, but like you say, windshields are filthy, so likely any sand/dirt/small rock particles would scrape the glass while bring scraped over it.

Probably. Still, unless its absolutely necessary, I wouldn't use a scraper on the glass. It's safer to use a de-icing spray.

That's fine. You have options.

But what's not ok is to say you can prove something with no basis in fact.

I use windshield washer fluid that is good to -45C. As long as the wipers aren't frozen to the windshield, give it a couple squirts and the ice will be gone.

And if you raise the wipers overnight, they won't get frozen to the glass.

Just throwing a grenade into the discussion(wink) With an electric car you can set a timer for the cabin to heat up and defrost the car in time for you to drive away without all this de-icing and scraping nonsense. (Let the flaming begin)(rlaugh)

That's fine. You have options.

But what's not ok is to say you can prove something with no basis in fact.

Since you don't seem to understand, let me explain. I emphasized the important stuff so you don't miss it.

I said that the scraper I used scratched my glass. Then in the following sentence I made the concession that it may not be the scraper. At this point I'm already admitting that I might be wrong.

You mentioned the sand/dirt scratching the glass. Again, I admitted that I was wrong, then provided my opinion on using a scraper based on my experience.

What's your angle here? Are you one of those people who simply enjoy telling people that they're wrong?

I've never scratched glass with a scraper. Totally a scraper issue. Or you're just a beast. :D

Not sure why you think we would flame you over that completely irrelevant to the discussion post Jonno. But you do you, buddy. :D

Move to Florida for the winter.
Well that seems a bit extreme. Some of us aren't pansies. :D
(j/k)

Last edited:
Just throwing a grenade into the discussion(wink) With an electric car you can set a timer for the cabin to heat up and defrost the car in time for you to drive away without all this de-icing and scraping nonsense. (Let the flaming begin)(rlaugh)

A remote start can do the same thing. The real grenade is what electric cars are gonna do to our environment, eventually, it's gonna be way worse than the gas burners.

I hope I'm dead and gone before I'm forced to drive one.

A remote start can do the same thing. The real grenade is what electric cars are gonna do to our environment, eventually, it's gonna be way worse than the gas burners.

I hope I'm dead and gone before I'm forced to drive one.

Remote start for ICE cars aren't available in the UK. It's illegal to have a car with the engine running and unattended. Besides which it would get stolen anyway. The fact is the UK government (rightly or wrongly) want to ban the sale of ICE cars by 2040 (could be a moving date) so electric cars will be the norm eventually. I've not driven one yet but I'm prepared to try it with an open mind. I would be interested to hear your views as to what electric cars will do worse to the environment than ICE cars are doing or will do?

Remote start for ICE cars aren't available in the UK. It's illegal to have a car with the engine running and unattended. Besides which it would get stolen anyway. ...

How would a properly "remote started" vehicle be stolen any easier than a vehicle just sitting parked? It isn't like the keys are in it and can just be driven off.

Back