2016 Cx-9 Ambient Lighting option question

anyone know if these are compatible with other mazdas. I have a 2016 mazda6 gt. I'm assuming it would be but any input would be appreciated...
That Mazda Interior Lighting Kit with part no. BHP1-V7-050 from Amazon is for Mazda3 so I wouldn't risk to get it for a Mazda6. TK52-V7-050 is for Mazda CX-9 and NA8W-V7-05 is for Mazda MX-5. I imagine there's Mazda Interior Lighting Kit for Mazda6 with a unique part no. Check with your Mazda dealer parts department for the correct part no. and you can always find it online with some Mazda dealers for discounted price.

Found Mazda MX-5 Genuine Interior Lighting Kit Installation Instructions and here is schematic diagram which should be the same as CX-9's Interior Lighting Kit:
attachment.php

Instructions don't say anything about how do these footwell courtesy lights work. But based on the schematic they seem to be on in full brightness whenever the door is open independently from the interior light OFF/DOOR/ON 3-position switch. They also should be on in dim fashion when the instrument cluster lights (parking lights or headlights) are on. The switch is used for turning the dim footwell curtersy lights off during the night when the instrument cluster lights are on.

This Interior Lighting Kit Installation Instructions have 30 pages. No wonder the tech at the Mazda dealer was struggling to install the kit!

Thanks @yrwei52. Yes i also looked the the install kit instructions as well. The mazda tech who worked on the car said he had to rip the entire dash out to install it!

I do not know why this kit is so complex! I had opened up a ticket with Mazda last week requesting for an expert to find out how this works. They are still looking to get someone to answer to me!

Finally they fixed the ambient lighting my car. It turns out that the one of the wires was loose and prevented the footwell lights from turning dim when the doors are closed and headlights are on.

So if you did install this on your car, i can confirm that the footwell lights do indeed turn dim after closing the door.

Thanks everyone for providing previous input.

Finally they fixed the ambient lighting my car. It turns out that the one of the wires was loose and prevented the footwell lights from turning dim when the doors are closed and headlights are on.
So if you did install this on your car, i can confirm that the footwell lights do indeed turn dim after closing the door.
Thanks everyone for providing previous input.
How about the switch? Does the switch turn the dim footwell courtesy lights off while driving like the schematic diagram indicated from Mazda MX-5 Genuine Interior Lighting Kit Installation Instructions? And do the footwell courtesy lights operate independently from the interior light OFF/DOOR/ON 3-position switch?

The switch will turn off and on the footwell light if desired so the answer is yes. I have to check your last answer to see how they operate.

I would not recommend this upgrade. It cost 350 to install and the kit is so complicated that if something breaks, it will be so hard to troubleshoot.

You can achieve the same effect by installing those dimmable leds you get on ebay for a fraction of this kit.

And do the footwell courtesy lights operate independently from the interior light OFF/DOOR/ON 3-position switch?

@yrwei52
Yes the footwell ambient lights operate independently so turning the interior light off / door / on has no effect the the footwell lights.

@yrwei52
Yes the footwell ambient lights operate independently so turning the interior light off / door / on has no effect the the footwell lights.
That makes sense and it functions exactly like the MX-5's schematic indicated. A switch is needed as this footwell interior lights can't be controlled by the main interior light switch.

This BHP1-V7-050 Mazda Interior Lighting Kit is for footwell only. The OP call it "Ambient Lighting" and ambient lighting is located on the ceiling area near map lights. This footwell lighting is "courtesy light".

There is a universal round on/off switch and looks like it needs drilling a hole somewhere to install the switch. Yeah I can't see why it's worth $300 list!

The ambient light stays on during the day too. Is there any setting so that it turns off during the day and comes on only at night or when its dark?

Back