Can I program a Smart Key myself?

$80 brand new advanced key + uncut blank (INCLUDED) for 2013-2015 CX-9

I just read through this entire thread and as someone just recently said -- it's very confusing regarding the terms used by various posters over the course of 7 years.

My question is -- I have 2 working FOBs and the silver part that connects the key to the keyring broke off of one of them. I purchased a new blank from eBay (that said it did NOT come with the chip) but I thought that was fine since I figured the chip must just be inside the FOB, not the key that slides out. Is that wrong? Is there a chip inside the black part that the keyblade attaches to as well? I'm beginning to think it is... and that my best option would be to buy a new key blank from the dealership and have them cut it for me. Or can I just have someone cut the key blank and all will be well? I do have 2 working fobs, and both original key blanks, but the one is kinda worthless if you want to attach a keyring to it.

Here is a picture of what I have -- the fob and key sliding out of it (without the grey cap to attach the key ring to it) and the new blank I ordered from eBay.

http://i.imgur.com/n6USO1D.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

I think you are right! I wouldn't have believed it but I think the slide out blade black plastic section does have a chip in it!

At first, I really thought it was a "dumb" simple key but after trying to program a third key without the blade section for an hour
I almost gave up and said WTF!! I'll just click in the blade section and see what happens and I couldn't believe what happened next:
I was able to program a third key!! Honestly, I really don't know if there is a chip in the blade or not, but all I can say is the darn thing wouldn't program at all without it.

I took a risk and bought from this seller on eBay, he's asking for $95 but I offered $80 and he accepted,

I received the item today and was pleasantly surprised that it was a BRAND NEW KEY WITH UNCUT BLADE INCLUDED (note: seller only has 3 sets left)

eBay link : https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

screw the stealership and their outrageous $400 charge for an extra key

this is what came in the mail today:

I can confirm the instructions below indeed works for 2013-2015 CX-9's, except the NOTE: After Step 3, the door lock actuators did not operate even after I inserted the blade into the ignition key cylinder. Anyway, I ignored it and kept going and low and behold the third key was programmed BUT that was after an hour after I decided to click in the blade for the third key ???!!! Prior to that I thought the blade was just a piece of metal without a chip so I left it inside the house and for a whole hour the key will not program at all which makes me believe there's more to that blade key than one would think!!

(sidenote, just FYI, the "door switch" is the rubber plunger thing mounted to the left of driver on the door pillar used to indicate door is ajar, can either push that switch manually twice during programming or just open and shut the door twice to trigger the switch.

here's a very short video showing ALL THREE advanced keys work now,
I have a 2013 model, but I'm sure it's the same for 2014 and 2015 models

Last edited:
I went in to my local dealer and got some pricing after reading this thread. My 2013 only came with 1 key when purchased. So i cant program it myself.

Ebay has the blank keys for slightly under $100. Ir i can get the key directly from Mazda for about $150. Mazda themselves said they have no problem programming a key i bought elsewhere, but the tech did say they have had like 2or 3 people bring in there own key, and it wasnt able to get programmed. And if it doesnt work, i still have to pay for the time the tech took to program it.

So ill probably just spend the extra $50 to get the part directly from Mazda, and have it guaranteed to work. Plus they said if i order it from him, it is covered under a guarantee if there's any future issues.

I went in to my local dealer and got some pricing after reading this thread. My 2013 only came with 1 key when purchased. So i cant program it myself.

Ebay has the blank keys for slightly under $100. Ir i can get the key directly from Mazda for about $150. Mazda themselves said they have no problem programming a key i bought elsewhere, but the tech did say they have had like 2or 3 people bring in there own key, and it wasnt able to get programmed. And if it doesnt work, i still have to pay for the time the tech took to program it.

So ill probably just spend the extra $50 to get the part directly from Mazda, and have it guaranteed to work. Plus they said if i order it from him, it is covered under a guarantee if there's any future issues.

Agreed xxxmonoxidechil. Better to just bite the bullet and buy the key directly from Mazda so at least you know it will work and they'll guarantee to resolve any future issues. Also, they'll cut the blank key blade for you, I don't think some of the eBay ones even come with a new blank key blade, so it basically evens out anyway.

There must be a reason why the eBay used advanced keys are cheap, probably something wrong with them or they can't be programmed. I wouldn't take the chance trying to save $50 cause you'll be in the hole if the key doesn't work and still have to pay for labor time.

Although, you should check my previous post, the eBay seller I bought from sent a brand new unprogrammed advanced key AND a new blank key blade for $80 shipped, i had no issues programming it, but for some strange reason the blade had to be inside the advance key to program, strange ??

It sucks that you only got one key at time of purchase, it's little things like this that you wished you had known before you negotiated.

i.e. I just found out today the dealer wants $56 just to program the auto-lock function, if I walk away from the CX-9 a certain distance, this function is OFF by default from factory but dealer has a computer that can turn it on, so if you forget to lock your doors, the car will lock itself once the advanced key is out of range. I'm positive they would have done this for free during negotiations.

Also, they said my bluetooth is out of warranty and a new one will cost $440, WTF ??!! there's nothing wrong with it , but the USB starting from the first song every time is really getting annoying.

so I guess it's a lesson learned for us, so for all you newbies looking to buy a new 2015 CX-9,
learn from our mistakes and ask for the following while you still have your checkbook and the upper hand:

1) ask for two advanced keys to be included in car purchase, then buy a new one off eBay and have them program the third key for free

2) ask for out of range auto-lock to be activated (so if you forget to lock your doors, the car will automatically lock it for you)

3) ask for latest bluetooth module so your iPhone messages will work and it doesn't re-play the same first song on the USB drive every single time you start the car

4) ask for any freebies you can get from accessories (all weather mats, cargo tray, cargo net, wheel locks, stainless steel bumper guard, first aid kit, etc)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this post was very helpful. I was able to program my 2008 CX-9 successfully - Both the remote and the key. The confusion I had, was that I didn't realize that both the remote and the key should both have transponders and they have separate programming instructions. For example when I was programming my key, it would not work since I still had the other remotes -- to close to the central computer. After I removed all the remotes away from the car, I was able to program my key. I was able to buy a Mazda OEM brand new smart key and uncut key for $170 on Ebay and save the programming fees thanks to this site. Now i'm on my way to installing mud guards (another helpful post on this website and eventually want to get roof rack rails - anyone selling?) Thanks again for the great info and if I can help anybody on this site - just ask!

I am possibly going to try to program a 3rd key for myself and have read the instructions here but there is one thing that I am confused about: for anyone who has done this successfully, do you have a push button start on your mazda? If so, how do you accomplish the step that says
From the ignition switch in the ON position, switch the ignition switch in the order indicated below.
― ACC→ON→ACC→ON→ACC→ON
For my mazda with a push button start (I have a 2011 manual transmission mazdaspeed 3) if the car is in the "ON" mode, if I push the start button again then it just goes to off. As far as I can tell from my research there is no way to go from "ON" directly to "ACC". I have to go from "ON" to "OFF" and then to "ACC". I tried doing this for this particular step of the instructions and never got the lock to actuate to lock and unlock to indicate programming mode is active so I am assuming it did not work. (i have not yet purchased a 3rd key but I wanted to make sure I could get this procedure to work first)

Another bit of confusion: for step 3 when it says "Insert the supplementary key into the ignition key cylinder." Is this supposed to be one of the 2 already programmed keys or the new key that you want to program (in which case I guess you would have to get it cut first)?

Last edited:
Gone through the posts, my problem is still unique!, I bought a Mazda cx9, 2009 in a police auction , does not have any keys.
Found a locksmith who prepared a key to open the doors. next he tried to prepare a key with chip but he was unable to program the chip so i m unable to start the car.
The key i have now only opens doors and turns the ignition but it will not start. The blinking key light in the dash stays red and does not turn green.
Any ideas. i just want to exhaust all options before i go to the dealer.

Gone through the posts, my problem is still unique!, I bought a Mazda cx9, 2009 in a police auction , does not have any keys.
Found a locksmith who prepared a key to open the doors. next he tried to prepare a key with chip but he was unable to program the chip so i m unable to start the car.
The key i have now only opens doors and turns the ignition but it will not start. The blinking key light in the dash stays red and does not turn green.

Unfortunately, I don't think you have any options except to go to the dealer.

The dealer has to ability to program key even when there is no key or even one programmed key. For the general public without any access to the specialize key generator, you MUST have two programmed keys in your possession. So basically, you can only program a third key. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the dealer.

Note, this isn't just a Mazda thing, all smart keys from other manufacturers require both keys to program a spare. This is so parking valets can't program a key with your one key you have him for valet parking.

If your 09 is a GT model, as I understand it, no keys equals new computer and 2 new keys. If not a GT, may not need a computer. I hope for your sake I am wrong. You may want to look on ebay for a computer and matching fobs but that is highly unlikely. Good luck! With one fob/card dealer has to program 2nd fob/card. With 2, you can program 3rd on your own.

If your 09 is a GT model, as I understand it, no keys equals new computer and 2 new keys. If not a GT, may not need a computer. I hope for your sake I am wrong. You may want to look on ebay for a computer and matching fobs but that is highly unlikely. Good luck! With one fob/card dealer has to program 2nd fob/card. With 2, you can program 3rd on your own.

Thanks. i am not sure if it it a GT or GTX, its AWD, leather seats, sunroof, bose sound system, no navigation. i could not find a vin decoder which would tell me if its GT or GTX. its GCC specs. any links to a good mazda vin decoder?

I will look for a computer and 2 keys on ebay to get an idea on price.

One option came up yesterday, a lock smith is claiming that he can prepare two keys with chips but does not have smart cards. It seems cheaper than the dealer. i might give him a try. i wont have remote lock / unlock option but atleast the car would start and i can get it registered easily.

Last edited:
Locksmith may be wrong. Need a matching rfid chip to program a new rfid chip. GT has 20" wheels and xenon headlamps. Touring has halogen headlamps and smaller than 20 in. wheels. Sport has cloth seats. GT uses smart entry. I believe touring and sport do not for 09 model.

Locksmith may be wrong. Need a matching rfid chip to program a new rfid chip. GT has 20" wheels and xenon headlamps. Touring has halogen headlamps and smaller than 20 in. wheels. Sport has cloth seats. GT uses smart entry. I believe touring and sport do not for 09 model.

Oh , it has 20" wheels and Xenon headlamps so must be GT. smart entry would mean smart card type key?
is there a way to identify the key FCC ID based on VIN number.

So you have a 2009 CX-9 GT. It needs smart cards. Cannot use the newer smart fob. Cannot get an fcc number from the vin. You dont need a smartcard to start the car. You can use the emergency key which is inside every smartcard, but if only using the emergency key, it MUST have a matched rfid chip inside the emergency key. If you don't even have any working emergency key, the only way I know if is to buy a kit consisting of 2 new smart cards and emergency keys, and a matching computer. 800 dollar kit I believe. But consult your local dealer. Things may have changed lately.

Update, took the car to the dealer, got two smart cards and 2 aux keys for 410$. Aux Key cutting was not done as they wanted 2days to do it. Dealer gave me a 35% discount on parts, still made a lot of money for his effort. No new ecu was required.

Thanks guys for the help.

Smart card (3 buttons) price 200$ each, aux key 40$ each, cr2025cells 4$ each ( -35% discount on all) rest was labour.

New problem cutting the aux keys. the key i have which works properly in all locks(apart from the glove box where I have to wiggle it to work) is bit different in size than the blank aux keys I got. Will check with an expert keysmith not a big difference.

Key cutting also done , no issues simple job.

Now need power window gears for 3 windows and fix the airbag code12 pretensioner issue. Will search on forums.

Now need power window gears for 3 windows and fix the airbag code12 pretensioner issue. Will search on forums.

jeez, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you paid for this CX-9 at police auction ? seems like a whole bunch of things to fix, but it sounds like you're pretty handy but things add up pretty quick,

is it an AWD ? if so, I would definitely check the PTU to make sure the oil is not sludge.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123846339-CX-9-Water-Pump-Replacement

Other common CX-9 problems are clogged AC drain, brake booster failure, and bad wheel bearings.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123855561-Sloshing-noise-near-glove-compartment&highlight=unclog

Also, 3 spark plugs by the firewall are a b*itch to replace
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123773226-How-to-get-to-the-CX-9-spark-plugs&highlight=spark

and water pump replacement requires a whole engine pull out.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123846339-CX-9-Water-Pump-Replacement

Last edited:
Reading through all these posts I have come to the conclusion I have to buy the key from the dealer and have them program it. However what is confusing me is the cost of the key. I just called two dealers in my area and they both quoted about $300 for just the key and key fob. Then 185 for the programming of the key so total around $500 for a new programmed key. However I have read on a couple of posts that people have purchased the key from the dealer around $150 significantly cheaper. So I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with an ebay source or possibly another dealer? I have a feeling these dealers are just marking up the price or are the quotes I received correct?

Unfortunately for me I only have one key so I am looking for any options or help.

Thanks,

i paid 6000$ for it, spent another $3000 on fixing stuff, new battery, cleaning and oil changes. it has 85K km on it so generally in very good condition.

jeez, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you paid for this CX-9 at police auction ? seems like a whole bunch of things to fix, but it sounds like you're pretty handy but things add up pretty quick,

is it an AWD ? if so, I would definitely check the PTU to make sure the oil is not sludge.

Other common CX-9 problems are clogged AC drain, brake booster failure, and bad wheel bearings.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123855561-Sloshing-noise-near-glove-compartment&highlight=unclog

Also, 3 spark plugs by the firewall are a b*itch to replace
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123773226-How-to-get-to-the-CX-9-spark-plugs&highlight=spark

and water pump replacement requires a whole engine pull out.

Does anyone have the procedure to program a Smart Key? I have done keyfobs for Acura's before and I know they aren't that hard to do. I am not sure what is needed for the Keyless Smart Key's. I have 2, but one is cracked so was going to pick up a spare. Please let me know if you have any information.

Yes, you can register up to the maximum of 8 smart keys for your CX-9. You must have two "valid" keys - that can start the engine. Otherwise you need a special tool (M-MDS).

UPDATE: see another PDF file attached for advanced keyless system card key registration.

Does anyone have the procedure to program a Smart Key? I have done keyfobs for Acura's before and I know they aren't that hard to do. I am not sure what is needed for the Keyless Smart Key's. I have 2, but one is cracked so was going to pick up a spare. Please let me know if you have any information.

Yes, you can register up to the maximum of 8 smart keys for your CX-9. You must have two "valid" keys - that can start the engine. Otherwise you need a special tool (M-MDS).

UPDATE: see another PDF file attached for advanced keyless system card key registration.
Where is that PDF file, can't find it, sorry floor my stupid question.

Back