Class-Action Suit Over Lack of Advertised Real-Time Traffic

Oh, my TomTom works but it's nearly useless for two reasons:
2) The map view does not show enough detail in rural areas when zoomed out. Roads don't show up, road names don't show up. Yes, they are there if you zoom in but they disappear again when you zoom out to see what those roads connect to. Actually, this is a big problem in urban areas also.

True... the only thing really detailed is lane guidance. A Garmin that I could also load my Topo maps into would be perfect.... well... I do that anyway but it would be nice to be in the dash instead.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought a class-action suit was justified in this case:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...-says-traffic-alert-software-stopped-working/

We are still happy with our CX-5 EXCEPT for the lack of the advertised live traffic in the navigation system.
While the traffic doesn't show up on the navigation map, there is real time traffic alert and rerouting. You can pull up a HD radio real time traffic map. And the car will reroute you on occasion based on traffic data; I've had this happen to me already so I know it works, even if traffic data doesn't show up in the navigation map.

While the traffic doesn't show up on the navigation map, there is real time traffic alert and rerouting. You can pull up a HD radio real time traffic map. And the car will reroute you on occasion based on traffic data; I've had this happen to me already so I know it works, even if traffic data doesn't show up in the navigation map.

It doesn't do it based on real time live traffic I believe. I think its just based on historical traffic data.

It doesn't do it based on real time live traffic I believe. I think its just based on historical traffic data.
I've seen that in the settings, it did mention route based on historical data, however when we were in Houston trying to get to NASA, it routed us off the highway to get on the service road because there was a traffic jam on the highway. The highway was heavily under construction as well, so I sort of cannot say that it routed us based on just historical data, especially if the roads were under construction. I dunno, I could be wrong and it is just using purely historical data.

I've seen that in the settings, it did mention route based on historical data, however when we were in Houston trying to get to NASA, it routed us off the highway to get on the service road because there was a traffic jam on the highway. The highway was heavily under construction as well, so I sort of cannot say that it routed us based on just historical data, especially if the roads were under construction. I dunno, I could be wrong and it is just using purely historical data.
No, the message you got is based on historic traffic data and it just happened to be that the construction has caused traffic jam for a while hence the warning. Subscribed HD Traffic is not integrate with navigation and is unreliable and useless. This topic has been discussed many times. Many 2016 CX-5 owners contacted Mazda North American Operations and Mazda still has done nothing yet and now the class-action lawsuit.

Request to call Mazda Corp: For Live Traffic

Hoorah - got a call from Corporate Mazda office today, JP. The guy spoke to me and said that they will attempt at something. Asked me for suggestions. They are as follows:
1. Get the whatever used to work - working. (Choice #1)
2. Get HD Total Traffic data flowing into navigation. (Maybe easiest, but the HD thing whatever I saw is not that good)
3. Get the XM Traffic integration - working. (Choice #3 - since it'll incur consumer subscription charges and I'm pretty sure Mazda won't absorb them)
4. Allow WiFi. They have a software downloadable in smart phone which can feed the data into navigation via WiFi (This he liked, God knows why).
5. Prioritize Android mirroring / Apple CarPlay (he said its in the roadmap but cant be done for the current Infotainment hardware, will require replacement)

I also vehemently complained about 3 years map update and XM subscription being just 3 to 4 months. He took all of this in.

BTW: He's aware of this thread.

No, the message you got is based on historic traffic data and it just happened to be that the construction has caused traffic jam for a while hence the warning. Subscribed HD Traffic is not integrate with navigation and is unreliable and useless. This topic has been discussed many times. Many 2016 CX-5 owners contacted Mazda North American Operations and Mazda still has done nothing yet and now the class-action lawsuit.

Request to call Mazda Corp: For Live Traffic
I see. Thanks for the info and for providing that link.

This has not been an issue for me since I have been using Waze and other phone navigation apps for years now. I do understand that it is an issue for others who rely on the built-in navigation. I hope Mazda can resolve the issue for those joining in on the lawsuit.

I see. Thanks for the info and for providing that link.

This has not been an issue for me since I have been using Waze and other phone navigation apps for years now. I do understand that it is an issue for others who rely on the built-in navigation. I hope Mazda can resolve the issue for those joining in on the lawsuit.
I believe it's the matter of Mazda had advertised this "Live Traffic" feature with its navigation system in all 2016 and 2016.5 CX-5 sales brochures and on the website; hence a case of false advertising. It's not a matter of whether we need "Live Traffic" feature in the navigation or not. Worse, Mazda had promised many CX-5 owners who contacted MNAO to do something on it but after 2 years nothing had happened. And if you noticed, featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is one of the possible solutions offered but never happened.

Honestly, it seems the easiest and most reliable way to get the service to all 2016 owners (me included) is to allow the wifi to read the traffic from the phone and display it on the screen. I would LOVE that. And I'd like to think that, when/if they address this issue, it ought to be backwards compatible to 2016 owners (me included). And I could see how that flash update would be feasible and compatible.

I believe it's the matter of Mazda had advertised this "Live Traffic" feature with its navigation system in all 2016 and 2016.5 CX-5 sales brochures and on the website; hence a case of false advertising. It's not a matter of whether we need "Live Traffic" feature in the navigation or not. Worse, Mazda had promised many CX-5 owners who contacted MNAO to do something on it but after 2 years nothing had happened. And if you noticed, featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is one of the possible solutions offered but never happened.

Actually if you put it that way, it sounds like people are just filing a lawsuit because of false advertising, regardless of whether they need to use the feature or not. I hope that is not the case. I would rather it be that they wanted to use the feature advertised and so they are filing a lawsuit because the feature doesn't exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Honestly, it seems the easiest and most reliable way to get the service to all 2016 owners (me included) is to allow the wifi to read the traffic from the phone and display it on the screen. I would LOVE that. And I'd like to think that, when/if they address this issue, it ought to be backwards compatible to 2016 owners (me included). And I could see how that flash update would be feasible and compatible.

I'm not sure how this will work. What app are they going to pull the traffic data from? Google/Android might allow this, but I don't think Apple will. If they're going through the trouble of pulling traffic data from the phone, that means the driver has a smartphone, so why not use the phone for navigation in the first place?

This will also not satisfy the folks who are angry about false advertising. Not only is the navigation system missing live traffic data, it now also requires the driver to have a phone to get traffic data from. That will not work.

What I'm trying to say is, if Mazda will fix this, they have to fix it the right way. They shouldn't expect the owners to be part of the solution. They should fix the navigation system itself and make it get the traffic data itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you noticed, featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is one of the possible solutions offered but never happened.

If/when they indeed deliver Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto one day how does the unit get access to the Internet (in order to download the Live traffic data)? Do I need to share a wi-fi hotspot running on my own mobile handset?

If/when they indeed deliver Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto one day how does the unit get access to the Internet (in order to download the Live traffic data)? Do I need to share a wi-fi hotspot running on my own mobile handset?

Your phone connects up to the car and uses the phones data.

Your phone connects up to the car and uses the phones data.

Thanks for confirming. So for those who don't otherwise use the phone while driving this will be an extra step then (unlike the TomTom navigator in 2015 CX-5 and prior models where live traffic is miraculously pulled OTA for free, no phone connection required).

Thanks for confirming. So for those who don't otherwise use the phone while driving this will be an extra step then (unlike the TomTom navigator in 2015 CX-5 and prior models where live traffic is miraculously pulled OTA for free, no phone connection required).

Correct. But pulling live traffic data uses very very little data. Either way, the extra step gives much more than just live traffic. It's the experience. But yes, still an extra step. Actually Android Auto will be introducing wifi connection soon which would prevent someone having manually connect via USB.

Yes, no live traffic overlay on your nav. Certainly nothing like a GM or MB car.
We found about it the hard way on the 3, but bought a new cx5 and don't care anymore- the phones have it.

Historical traffic data is available when the route is first planned. Why would it change while driving if it was not taking into consideration the current traffic which has changed from the historical data it used during the initial route planning?

Back