2017~2024 What Gas Mileage are you getting with Cylinder Deactivation?

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
Seeing report of mid 30s here and there. Never see that on my 17. Wondering if CD helps more than advertised.

Please include year, AWD vs FWD, total mileage, where you drive, how you drive, computer or manually computed, and anything else that might be relevant.

19 touring awd w/5k miles mostly rural, some city some freeway

Best tank so far - 29.7
Worst tank - about 26
Best trip (highway with active cruise) - 35.3
Worst trip around town - about 20 mpg

Total average since purchase 27.7

All as per trip computer, but I did hand calculate a few tanks and they always were within 0.3 mpg (sometimes higher sometimes lower)

I commute on highway every day. I get around 32-35 without traffic (using trip computer). 19 GT AWD 3500 mileage. On downhill, I push acceleration little more on the top and let it coast itself.

2018 GT w/PP AWD. 24k miles total, Central Indiana (pretty flat), commute is about 50% 40-50 mph, and 50% freeway at 65-70 mph.

According to Fuelly, over 75 fill-ups I'm averaging 28.6 mpg with a high of 32.3 mpg.

For my commute (according to the trip computer that comes on when I turn the car off) I routinely see mpg > 30 and have seen it hit 34.5 mpg.

I have the 2018 CX5 GT AWD with 4,900 km. I am getting 8.5 litres per 100 km (27.6 miles/US gallon). This is with a mix of city (30%) and highway driving (70%).

Wade

2018 Cx5 AWD with CD--->get 24-25 around town and 35-36 on long 600 mile interstate trips. The average for the last 7600 miles is showing 29.8 MPG

Seeing report of mid 30s here and there. Never see that on my 17. Wondering if CD helps more than advertised.

Please include year, AWD vs FWD, total mileage, where you drive, how you drive, computer or manually computed, and anything else that might be relevant.

What are you getting with your 17??

I don't track mine carefully, so it's hard to say. And I'm atypical because I have low miles, do a lot of short trips, and live up a hill.
Estimating
city 18-22
mixed 25-27
highway 27-30
It varies a lot. I saw 33 on the highway once, but that's slightly downhill and I got 27 on the way back. That was cruise set to 74, no AC.

Noone asked, but this is nearly 600 miles in on my SW Missouri to San Antonio trip today in my GT-R.

67455102_10100186894994331_1601565322966466560_n.jpg

I don't track mine carefully, so it's hard to say. And I'm atypical because I have low miles, do a lot of short trips, and live up a hill.
Estimating
city 18-22
mixed 25-27
highway 27-30
It varies a lot. I saw 33 on the highway once, but that's slightly downhill and I got 27 on the way back. That was cruise set to 74, no AC.

so maybe a few miles more MPG with CD....

Keep in mind CD isn't even on at highway speeds of 65mph+.

We have taken our 2018 CX5 on some long backroads with constant speeds in the 40-50mph range and I've seen the average in the mid to upper 30's in those stretches

Taking a trip to South Carolina next week so I'll keep an eye on it, in May when we took the same trip the highway average was 32 for over 1800 miles....I set Trip B to be a grand total and use Trip A for each tank of gas.

Keep in mind CD isn't even on at highway speeds of 65mph+.

Yeah, I was going to say CD only operates at sustained speeds between 25-50 MPH (I think it's up to 50?).

These highway speeds, CD is off. If you're not sustained between 25-50, CD is off.

I think you guys are reading too much into CD.

Yeah, I was going to say CD only operates at sustained speeds between 25-50 MPH (I think it's up to 50?).

These highway speeds, CD is off. If you're not sustained between 25-50, CD is off.

Yup, its useful if doing alot of 35-50 mph driving (sustained flatish backroads)....hills which require more throttle, higher speeds such as highway, all will mean CD isnt even a factor.

I'd venture to guess even a NON CD 2017 would be getting excellent fuel economy at such speeds (35-55) with little throttle.

What Gas Mileage are you getting with Cylinder Deactivation? Reply to Threa

Glad finally you said something on this!

Mazda CX-5's cylinder deactivation operates only at sustained cruising speed between 25 mph and 50 mph (40 km/h to 80 km/h).

It seems there're more gen-2 CX-5 owners claiming higher gas mileage than gen-1 CX-5 owners. Very few gen-1 CX-5 AWD can get 30+mpg on the highway. Mine gen-1 AWD can barely get 30 mpg on the highway if I drive constantly below 70 mph which is at least 10 mph slower than EVERY other vehicle's speed!

According to Mazda diagrams CD operates based on Torque range and RPM range zone.
It has nothing to do with the speed of the car.

Exact torque range is unknown but rpm range is from aprox. 1200 to 3500 rpm.
And in deceleration (0 torque) in the above rpm range as well.

CD operates even in 60-70 mph if the engine of the car is in the CD programmed torque range and rpm ranges. Again, speed is not a factor for CD.

MPG in the 32-33 range is possible depending on driving conditions and the driver. Probably CD helps for that as well.

CD operates even in 60-70 mph if the engine of the car is in the CD programmed torque range and rpm ranges. Again, speed is not a factor for CD.

Do you have any Mazda documentation or links for this? Everything I read was that it only operated at sustained speeds between 25-50 mph.

According to Mazda diagrams CD operates based on Torque range and RPM range zone.
It has nothing to do with the speed of the car.

Exact torque range is unknown but rpm range is from aprox. 1200 to 3500 rpm.
And in deceleration (0 torque) in the above rpm range as well.

MPG in the 32-33 range is possible depending on driving conditions and the driver. Probably CD helps for that as well.

Do you have any Mazda documentation or links for this? Everything I read was that it only operated at sustained speeds between 25-50 mph.

You're both right! It must depend on engine speed, not road speed. BUT it only happens when RPMs are in the zone for awhile, i.e., cruising, never while accelerating.

So it will occur when the engine is in the zone in 4th, 5th, or 6th at a steady state, because we "cruise" in those 3 gears. That will translate to different speeds in the different gears. And you can define those zones in terms of "speed in a given gear", as well as RPMs.

Remember when some speedometers had shift points marked on them? Even the current Mazda manual talks about shift points in terms of speed. In case someone doesn't understand a tach maybe?

edit: "might" be right :)

Last edited:
torque is basically related to engine load. The rest is the rpm range.

What people read on internet about speed of the car 25 mph etc and CD is misleading.

Back