What have you done to your CX-9 today?

They are all pinned, but on the CX-9 AWD badge the X, -, A, W, and D are just adhesive strips. I used a plastic prying tool to left the edges of the emblems and just wiggle and lift from there. My first thought was to use fishing line to separate the emblem from the adhesive strip, but it just wasn't working that well and without gloves it's uncomfortable on your hands.

I'm really interested in the sequential mirror signals and some wheel spacers as the next two projects. The Corksport air intake and exhaust would be nice additions if I can figure out how to scrounge up the change.

Installed some 5mm spacers in the rear today.

attachment.php

Before:

attachment.php

After:

attachment.php

The difference is minimal, but I can see and appreciate the difference. The front and rear stance now matches properly. Not bad for $5 spacers haha.

I also need your help guys. I got these bigger mudflaps because with the wider tires, rocks are more likely to kick up and hit the sides of my car and other cars behind me. The car also gets much dirtier after driving on wet roads. Now that I've mocked them up, I don't know how I should install them. I have mocked them up with some tape, shown below (they would be installed a little higher and flush to the wheels). Should I mount them with the existing mudflaps (like in the photo), mount them without the OEM mudflaps, or leave it as is (no aftermarket mudflaps)? Personal opinions are welcomed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• spacers.jpg
    spacers.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,272
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,287
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,286
  • mudflaps.jpg
    mudflaps.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,292
Last edited:
I got my custom leather car mats today so put those in, were from Diamond Car Mats. I also installed my OPT7 Aura foot well lights too! The floor mats were a full set, including the 3rd row as well as the trunk!

heres a short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk0gZXFPIQA

a pic of the floor mat (sry i didn't get all of them)

Im considering Diamond mat. Hows the quality of Diamond mat? Does it stick well and easy to clean? Im guessing got to remove the original mat to fit those.

I*m considering Diamond mat. How*s the quality of Diamond mat? Does it stick well and easy to clean? I*m guessing got to remove the original mat to fit those.

I honestly love them, they are good quality. I would give them a 4 out of 5 star, only because there are flaps that go underneath the seats (where the foot hvac vents are near) and even with the Velcro tape they don't stick and stay flat. I'll end up getting stronger Velcro tape to fix the issue.

Just made an appointment to have my front side windows tinted with ceramic tint. I'm also having the windshield tinted with a "clear" ceramic tint to further reduce heat in the cabin and provide some UV protection for the interior.

Just made an appointment to have my front side windows tinted with ceramic tint. I'm also having the windshield tinted with a "clear" ceramic tint to further reduce heat in the cabin and provide some UV protection for the interior.

Old pic before tint (note that rear sunshades are up):

attachment.php

Post tint (rear sunshades are down):

attachment.php

I also just noticed a very minor, barely noticeable dent in the driver's side rear passenger door. :( It took 1 year and 8 months, but it finally happened lol.

Attachments

• IMG-20180729-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20180729-WA0003.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 2,245
  • posttint.jpg
    posttint.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 2,093
Looks nice. Question - does the clear tint on the windshield distort the look or reflection of the HUD display at all?

Looks nice. Question - does the clear tint on the windshield distort the look or reflection of the HUD display at all?

That was my main concern as well, so I went to the tint shop to test the HUD with a piece of tint they had cut out. It does slightly affect the brightness of the projection, but it's almost imperceptible. This is with ceramic tint, not sure how it would be with basic dyed tint or metallic tint.

EDIT: I just tested the brightness, and it comes out just as clear as without the tint. I have it set to Auto brightness and it's perfect in the sun.

Last edited:
We made a quick day trip down to Grand Forks this weekend to pick up a few packages at the border and do a little shopping at Target. Packages consisted of some Sonax BSD and Wheel Cleaner Plus, some CarPro Essence, a ton of bulk microfiber towels, and a bunch of 5.5" pads for my polisher.

Before the trip, I relocated my oil catch can to see if the location was the reason I wasn't catching any blowby. I mounted it to a wiring harness cover near the fan. I was a little limited in my options because of how long the tubing is. I didn't have enough time to trim the tubing down before the trip, but I like where the can is mounted now.

attachment.php

After the trip, I gave the mats a quick rinse with the pressure washer, then washed all the bug guts off the front end.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I also finally received the longer cable for my rear dashcam (took 2 months, thanks Viofo (headshake). I ran the cable correctly this time, and I'll be updating the DIY guides I wrote accordingly.

Last edited:
" I just tested the brightness, and it comes out just as clear as without the tint. I have it set to Auto brightness and it's perfect in the sun. "

Great to know - thanks!

Im considering the ceramic windshield clear tint as well. Is there a noticeable reduction in heat levels with the tint installed? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I*m considering the ceramic windshield clear *tint* as well. Is there a noticeable reduction in heat levels with the tint installed? Thanks.

In my experience, yes it is noticeable. My car typically sits out in the sun while I'm at work, and I keep the AC on Auto, set to 19.5c. Before the tint, I'd start the car and the AC would be running full blast (on recirculate) to lower the cabin temps. It would remain blowing fairly hard all the way home. I think the fan would slow from full blast to maybe 2 or 3 bars from full blast on the display, at most. After having the tint installed, the cabin is still hot upon entry, but I noticed that it cools down quicker and that the AC would slow all the way down to 1 or 2 bars after 5-10 minutes of driving. My commute from work is 30-40 minutes depending on traffic, and in both instances I kept the windows up at all times.

IMO it's definitely worth it for the looks and for the lower strain on the HVAC system (and maybe even slightly improved mileage).

sm1ke, Do you recall what brand of tint you put on your car? Is it perfectly clear or it has some % of tint to it? Any issues with night time driving/glare?

Thanks!

sm1ke, Do you recall what brand of tint you put on your car? Is it perfectly clear or it has some % of tint to it? Any issues with night time driving/glare?

Thanks!

Hey Dan, according to the installer, the windshield has Avery Dennison Shield IR 75 on it. It's essentially a 75% tint that is optically clear. No perceivable change in night driving, very slight reduction in glare from headlights. It does result in a rainbow effect called stressed birefringence when viewed from outside, in certain lighting conditions. I tried to get a picture but I couldn't catch it in the midday sun, it's more noticeable at dawn or at dusk, and you can't see it from inside the car.

Here's a pic from inside the car, showing the tinted windshield vs. an open door.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20190809_131222.jpg
    IMG_20190809_131222.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 1,032
...IMO it's definitely worth it for the looks and for the lower strain on the HVAC system (and maybe even slightly improved mileage).

Very useful information, thanks. Looks like Im out of excuses to get it done.

Very useful information, thanks. Looks like I*m out of excuses to get it done.

All I can say is that you make sure a reputable company does yours. I had mine done by a shop that just recently hired a new tint guy, and the first time they did the windshield, there were tons of bubbles. They redid the windshield again on Wednesday last week, and it's better, but I've still got a ton of bubbles on the driver's side and some fingering issues along the bottom edge. I'm trying to get them to redo it again but they haven't called me back to set up an appointment. Going to follow up tomorrow if they don't call me today.

I may end up just eating the cost and going to a more expensive (but more reputable) shop.

All I can say is that you make sure a reputable company does yours. I had mine done by a shop that just recently hired a new tint guy, and the first time they did the windshield, there were tons of bubbles. They redid the windshield again on Wednesday last week, and it's better, but I've still got a ton of bubbles on the driver's side and some fingering issues along the bottom edge. I'm trying to get them to redo it again but they haven't called me back to set up an appointment. Going to follow up tomorrow if they don't call me today.

I may end up just eating the cost and going to a more expensive (but more reputable) shop.

Sm1ke, you know what they say...Buy cheap, buy twice, buy once cry once. (cabpatch)

On a secondary note, I got my Compustar 4905S and T-12 remote installed, probably could have used the 3000ft that came with the kit, but I wanted more distance and the LCD Display and 2-2way remotes. Also, got my OEM keys programmed for remote start, so far so good. This is my first Remote Start venture and I'm happy thus far with the results.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
Hey Dan, according to the installer, the windshield has Avery Dennison Shield IR 75 on it. It's essentially a 75% tint that is optically clear. No perceivable change in night driving, very slight reduction in glare from headlights. It does result in a rainbow effect called stressed birefringence when viewed from outside, in certain lighting conditions. I tried to get a picture but I couldn't catch it in the midday sun, it's more noticeable at dawn or at dusk, and you can't see it from inside the car.

Here's a pic from inside the car, showing the tinted windshield vs. an open door.

attachment.php

Do you notice any pixelation from daytime glare or night time light sources? Brake lights, street lamps, sign reflections....

I had a heat rejecting, UV blocking tint put on and noticed pixelation immediately. I found it annoying enough to get it removed.

However the heat rejection was awesome, it was noticeably cooler. The CX-9 seems to get warmer than any other car Ive owned. Even reaching into the console while the engine is running, it gets hot in there.

Back