Best CUV for towing

GP 2004

:
2015 CX-5 GT AWD liquid silver
My fishing buddy has a 2009 Honda Accord with 125k miles and frequently tows a fishing boat (about 1000 lbs total and about 100 lbs tongue wt.). He is thinking about a new car and asked me about my CX-5 and towing. I don't know about towing, but the threads about trans problems makes me wary to recommend it. I've heard that the RAV-4 is good for towing. What do you think?

My fishing buddy has a 2009 Honda Accord with 125k miles and frequently tows a fishing boat (about 1000 lbs total and about 100 lbs tongue wt.). He is thinking about a new car and asked me about my CX-5 and towing. I don't know about towing, but the threads about trans problems makes me wary to recommend it. I've heard that the RAV-4 is good for towing. What do you think?

The CX-5 is fine. It makes more torque at a lower RPM and has a 6 speed Auto with a short first gear which is better for towing then a CVT.

Honestly Id go for a mazda 6. Same drivetrain but in a lower and lighter sedan = better efficiency, performance and better stability which is what you want for towing plus less stress on the transmission. The wheelbase is longer then the cx5 so it has tons of space.

Last edited:
Honestly I’d go for a mazda 6. Same drivetrain but in a lower and lighter sedan = better efficiency, performance and better stability which is what you want for towing plus less stress on the transmission. The wheelbase is longer then the cx5 so it has tons of space.

This is funny. You do anything to talk about the Mazda 6.

OP, CX5 should be decent for towing a small boat. I know the escape has a version that puts out I believe around 250hp which would offer more power.

This is funny. You do anything to talk about the Mazda 6.

OP, CX5 should be decent for towing a small boat. I know the escape has a version that puts out I believe around 250hp which would offer more power.

I wouldnt mention the Mazda 6 if the CX-5 had a turbo 2.5 option. The NA 2.5 is sufficient in the 6 and underpowered in the CX-5

Unless something has changed North America tow ratings for Rav4 are 1500lbs (~680kg) and CX-5 is 2K lbs (~907 kg).

Not gonna discuss safety but I was cautious since trailer didn't have trailer brakes but my 800 lb utility trailer with a 750lb quad in the back was an easy haul. The OP tow example would be an easy haul with CX-5.

EDIT: If you are launching a boat... do yourself a favor and get AWD.... seen too many antics at muddy boat launches where FWD just wasn't cutting it.

What trans problems? There've been extremely few, considering it's the most complicated part in the entire car. Compare it to other vehicles and it's very good indeed.

we have this problem on a certain yamaha forum i'm on.. those who dont have [vehicle X] are probly best off staying in (and only in) forum sections for that vehicle =P

towing with a sedan sucks. hitch height/gain is a problem more often than not. approach/depart angle, driveways, differing camber turns, blahblah.. any vehicle which is even just slightly higher off the ground is objectively better for towing. and of course im not claiming the CX5 has crazy ground clearance but most will have an easier time with it than some sedan.

we have this problem on a certain yamaha forum i'm on.. those who dont have [vehicle X] are probly best off staying in (and only in) forum sections for that vehicle =P

towing with a sedan sucks. hitch height/gain is a problem more often than not. approach/depart angle, driveways, differing camber turns, blahblah.. any vehicle which is even just slightly higher off the ground is objectively better for towing. and of course im not claiming the CX5 has crazy ground clearance but most will have an easier time with it than some sedan.

The sedan can tow 3300pounds but its rexommended not to tow more then its curb weight 3200pounds which is more capable then 2000 pounds in the CX-5.

Considering that the Mazda 6 is more efficient, faster, more stable, corners more planted, able to tow more and have a longer wheelbase for better stability and more room makes it a more sensible choice at least have a look at the back seat and trunk of the 6 when youre at s dealer. There is a lot of space and it drives so much better then the tippy crossover.

Get the CX-5 if you want, but the smaller 6 sedan makes better use of the 2.5L skyactiv drivetrain. The sedan still has relatively soft suspension and is not exactly slammed to the ground, depature angles and driveways are fine with this thing. For something smaller like a 1000pound boat, you may as well get the sedan.

2whicyb.jpg

Last edited:
The 6 has no official tow rating. It is low to the ground and this is not recommended. Check your manual... it likely says something like "do not tow". Only an idiot would tow a 3300 lb trailer with that. EDIT: Found the manual it explicitly says "Your Mazda is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda." https://s3.amazonaws.com/tsd.mazdau...017/2017_Mazda6_web_OM/contents/04100500.html

CX-9 is rated at 3500 lbs. Wheelbase makes a large difference in tow ratings especially since all other factors (engine, trans, brakes) are similar. 9 does have that turbo to help with torque and probably bigger brakes, but its the wheelbase here...

Last edited:
Honestly. Towing with the 6. Need to stop feeding

How does "ignore user" work on this forum? Do posts just show blank with "user ignored" or something? I've just activated one, I'm curious to see what it does.

Honestly. Towing with the 6. Need to stop feeding

OP is currently towing his boat with a Honda Accord, so what would the 6 sedan not be able to provide that a CX-5 would?

The way I see it, a taller, heavier body using the exact same engine output and transmission = more strain on the transmission, less efficiency and less capability towing. You guys dont make any sense.

The sedan can tow 3300pounds but its rexommended not to tow more then its curb weight 3200pounds which is more capable then 2000 pounds in the CX-5.

Considering that the Mazda 6 is more efficient, faster, more stable, corners more planted, able to tow more and have a longer wheelbase for better stability and more room makes it a more sensible choice at least have a look at the back seat and trunk of the 6 when youre at s dealer. There is a lot of space and it drives so much better then the tippy crossover.

Get the CX-5 if you want, but the smaller 6 sedan makes better use of the 2.5L skyactiv drivetrain. The sedan still has relatively soft suspension and is not exactly slammed to the ground, depature angles and driveways are fine with this thing. For something smaller like a 1000pound boat, you may as well get the sedan.

2whicyb.jpg

Where ae you getting these numbers? I suspect you googled "Mazda6 towing capcity" and saw the review from practicalcaravan.com which states a 15kg towing capacity which is equal to about 3300lbs. The problem here is that practica caravan is a UK based site so those numbers are for the UK. The UK has vastly different towing laws and restrictions then the USA. If you look on that site it states that the CX-5 has a towing capcity of 2000kg or 4400lbs. The site recommends not towing more then 85% of it's limit which about 1364kg or about 3,000lbs.

In the uk towing laws restrict towing anything over 1000kg to have trailer brakes and speeds when towing cannot exceed 60mph. The tongue weight is also much lower at around 8-10% vs about %15 for the US. In the US we are also allowed to tow at what ever the posted speed limit is and can pull up to 10,000lbs before needing a CDL license.

US based CX-5's have the same engine and transmission as the UK but it's the lawyers that limit the towing capacity due to our lack of regulations when towing. 2000lbs is the recommended limit but in a pinch you should be just fine pulling more if you weight the tongue correctly, use trailer brakes and keep your speeds below 60mph.

OP is currently towing his boat with a Honda Accord, so what would the 6 sedan not be able to provide that a CX-5 would?

The way I see it, a taller, heavier body using the exact same engine output and transmission = more strain on the transmission, less efficiency and less capability towing. You guys dont make any sense.

The limiting factor for towing in the USA is tongue (nose) weight of the trailer.
The 6 can only support 65kg (143lbs) of tongue weight, meanwhile the CX-5 can support 200lbs, thus it is a more capable tow rig.

Nothing else really matters.

Besides, the CX-5 has shorter gearing (especially the AWD version), so with a trailer it'll easily out accelerate your mazda 6.

Oh, also the CX-5 has larger rear brakes to help you stop while towing.

Last edited:
The limiting factor for towing in the USA is tongue (nose) weight of the trailer.
The 6 can only support 65kg (143lbs) of tongue weight, meanwhile the CX-5 can support 200lbs, thus it is a more capable tow rig.

Nothing else really matters.

Besides, the CX-5 has shorter gearing (especially the AWD version), so with a trailer it'll easily out accelerate your mazda 6.

Oh, also the CX-5 has larger rear brakes to help you stop while towing.

Wow, the CX-5 does have a very short final drive ratio indeed. But this is to compensate for the extra curb weight and the increased drivetrain losses of the AWD system, and the CX-5 is still slower so I dont see how the 6 would be out-towed.

The 6 steers, stops accelerates better and is lower to the ground which should make it more stable for towing. Im sure its a fine choice over the CX-5unless you need that extra 57pounds of tongue weight capacity

Back