2017 CX-5 GT lurching forward

First of all, I have experienced what you're talking about. It's not exactly abnormal unless it's excessive. You have to keep in mind that the SkyActiv transmission does not use a tq converter, effectively, above 10mph. This means drivetrain momentum is more directly transmitted to you, the driver/passenger and the vehicle as a whole. It's what makes it feel more responsive than most slush-boxes to minor throttle inputs.

Problem is below 10mph, and I think its excessive.

Called Mazda Customer Experience Center spoke with rep he created the case, asked me if I have visited dealer for this issue, I said yes, after that rep contacted the dealer then he informed me that after dealer did all the tests and scanned for all the codes and did not find a problem. The conclusion by a dealer and Mazda North American Operation that vehicle working as designed.
At this point, you can try another Mazda dealer for diagnosis if you don't have confidence to your current Mazda dealer. The other way is to escalate your case with MNAO and demand talking to a supervisor or a manager. You can ask MNAO to send field engineer meeting with you at any Mazda dealer you prefer, and let the field engineer test drive your new CX-5. I believe if the transmission really behaves excessively on lurching/jumping/jolting/jerking forward as you described, the field engineer should be able to catch where the issue is, and perform the necessary fix for your new CX-5. Remember you do emphasize you'd compared several other new CX-5's and none of them behave the lurching like yours, hence you fully believe there's something wrong in your transmission based on comparison!

At this point, you can try another Mazda dealer for diagnosis if you don't have confidence to your current Mazda dealer. The other way is to escalate your case with MNAO and demand talking to a supervisor or a manager. You can ask MNAO to send field engineer meeting with you at any Mazda dealer you prefer, and let the field engineer test drive your new CX-5. I believe if the transmission really behaves excessively on lurching/jumping/jolting/jerking forward as you described, the field engineer should be able to catch where the issue is, and perform the necessary fix for your new CX-5. Remember you do emphasize you'd compared several other new CX-5's and none of them behave the lurching like yours, hence you fully believe there's something wrong in your transmission based on comparison!

That’s great idea. Will call MNAO next week.

Thank you for your help

Well you could try, but hard resetting the ecu like that is never a good idea in general.

Disagree. If that were true you could never change a battery safely.

OP, just pull the batt cable and see if things get better after a little reset. Sub-optimal shift settings in the trans will not always throw a code.

Disagree. If that were true you could never change a battery safely.

OP, just pull the batt cable and see if things get better after a little reset. Sub-optimal shift settings in the trans will not always throw a code.
If you believe OP's transmission issue is as simple as you said, his Mazda dealer would do that at the first time, or Mazda North American Operations' Tech Support would suggest the dealer to do that! None of these happened and that indicates resetting "Transmission Control Module" would not work. Besides, I believe pulling the negative post out of the battery may not reset the "Transmission Control Module"; there's procedure to follow to trigger the reset, or use the factory computer to do it.

OP has a brand-new CX-5 having some lurching forward behavior from transmission. He doesn't need to take over a job Mazda supposed to do for warranty service. The field engineer from MNAO has a lot more information fixing many problems than a Mazda dealer can do. Let MNAO do the job and that's the best chance to fix OP's transmission issue than everybody else, and it's free! :)

This Mazda Service Information for "Delayed Engagement When Shifting into D Range" posted by Anchorman shows performing the Initial Learning and reprogramming of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) is not as simply as removing the negative from the battery. (whistle)

Delayed Engagement When Shifting into D Range

First of all, I have experienced what you're talking about. It's not exactly abnormal unless it's excessive. You have to keep in mind that the SkyActiv transmission does not use a tq converter, effectively, above 10mph. This means drivetrain momentum is more directly transmitted to you, the driver/passenger and the vehicle as a whole. It's what makes it feel more responsive than most slush-boxes to minor throttle inputs.
Yeah. From what I've read, it uses the TQ first then couples it with a "coupling" or clutch inside the TQ for a direct power transfer.

Problem is below 10mph, and I think its excessive.

you need a new torque converter. try to get Mazda to replace your transmission under warranty.

If you believe OP's transmission issue is as simple as you said, his Mazda dealer would do that at the first time, or Mazda North American Operations' Tech Support would suggest the dealer to do that! None of these happened and that indicates resetting "Transmission Control Module" would not work. Besides, I believe pulling the negative post out of the battery may not reset the "Transmission Control Module"; there's procedure to follow to trigger the reset, or use the factory computer to do it.

OP has a brand-new CX-5 having some lurching forward behavior from transmission. He doesn't need to take over a job Mazda supposed to do for warranty service. The field engineer from MNAO has a lot more information fixing many problems than a Mazda dealer can do. Let MNAO do the job and that's the best chance to fix OP's transmission issue than everybody else, and it's free! :)

strongly agree with everything you say. theres just many different reasons why unplugging your battery to reset the ECU wont do anything good.

First, I think you place way too much faith in an unknown (to you) service tech to completely troubleshoot the problem. The mantra today is no code, no action. Look into how techs are paid and the recent mechanics strike here in Chi-town to see the roots of this thinking.

Second, lots of people come to this forum (myself included) to educate themselves on a problem even when under warranty. I have caught numerous dealers over the years either missing things, doing things wrong, or just ignoring common sense procedures due to incompetence. I would never just waltz into a dealer and trust what they said unconditionally. OP is frustrated... that's why he's here.

Third, I reset my 2014 CX-5 tranny with similar symptoms and all has been well. Tough to know if it will help the OP, but it sure can't hurt as you suggested, hence my disagreement. To each his own.

you need a new torque converter. try to get Mazda to replace your transmission under warranty.

strongly agree with everything you say. theres just many different reasons why unplugging your battery to reset the ECU wont do anything good.

According to Mazda they did all test and codes its working as designed and they not willing to replace transmission.

I just addressed exact same downshift effect you describe with my dealership while having a block heater installed. My 2017 CX5GT with all of 3200km also had had a pungent rubber smell early on, which is just subsiding now, when outside air was drawn in through vents (No AC or Heat). I suspected it is from the 2 coolant hoses entering firewall to heater core as there are no MIL warnings or abnormal engine temp. yet serice advisor had no idea what I was talking about yet passengers could smell it. Dealer did road test and indicated all is normal. They did reset computer for the downshift experience. Front leather seat have already lost there firmness and noticeably baggy, even with me being only 180 lbs. Dealer again questioned this until he saw it for himself. Will only replace driver side as Mazda Canada will question if both done? I was hoping Mazda ownership would have started better...

The smell is the coating they spray on the engines and u underneath to protect them during transportation on the ship from Japan. Salt water is a hell of a corrosive. It burns off in time is like a thick clear wax substance. So that's fine. As far as transmission. Problems the Mazda skyactive has always been jerky and direct. It behaves almost like a manual with the gears catching very firmly and rev matches. A lot of people are so used to the cvts now. The lurching though could be many things. I've had cars do this whe. They needed transmission fluid added, or when my TB was sticking in a car it would accelerate lol. Lots of things it's hard to say. Torque converter maybe hopefully you get everything worked out.

Back