Transmission Slip and Reverse Troubles

8=D

:
2006 Mazda 5
Greetings. I just picked up a 06 Mazda 5 2.3l Sport with a 4 speed automatic. This is my first entry into the Mazda world, and I'm pretty stoked. However, the car has an issue with 3rd gear. It'll slip pretty hard upshifting into third from second. It shudders a bit when downshifting from fourth to third. It also doesn't like to go into reverse when on a slight decline. I can trick the transmission into engaging into reverse by throwing it in neutral, then quickly back into reverse. On flat ground there's no problem going into reverse. I cleaned the MAF hoping that it might have been sending bad info to the TCM. That didn't resolve much, but the car does idle better now. Do these transmission issues sound like a bad TCM or maybe a bad part in the transmission itself? Check engine and AT lights are NOT lit on the dash. The transmission fluid level is full, and the fluid color is a nice pinkish red. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Got a TCM out of a Mazda 3. Now I'm having trouble finding the TCM in my '06 Mazda 5. Was there even a TCM in these cars?

Back