headlight lens degradation

I've only had my CX5 since April, but my LED headlights are already looking pretty crappy. Not only is water and dust getting inside, there appears to be mold or some other crud forming on the clear plastic adjacent to the turn signals. There are also water/dust stains running along the bottom of the lights. When you pop the hood to look at the lights, it appears the center screw on the back of the top of the housing isn't going in all the way into the female threaded part (as if the female bore isn't deep enough). There is about a 1/16" or 3/32" gap where the pieces don't mate flush. This is true for both headlights. All other screws seem to go in fine and there is no gap like in the middle. I haven't had a chance to go back to the dealer to check out the lights on some other GTs w/Tech currently in-stock to see if this is just a one-off, or a more common problem. I love both the look and visibility of the LEDs, but thoroughly unimpressed with the headlamps so far due to this matter.

As an aside, my girlfriend's 2015 CR-V, purchased just a month before mine, has crystal clear headlight housings.... they appear brand new. Both vehicles have had the same washing treatment and schedule too.

I've only had my CX5 since April, but my LED headlights are already looking pretty crappy. Not only is water and dust getting inside, there appears to be mold or some other crud forming on the clear plastic adjacent to the turn signals. There are also water/dust stains running along the bottom of the lights. When you pop the hood to look at the lights, it appears the center screw on the back of the top of the housing isn't going in all the way into the female threaded part (as if the female bore isn't deep enough). There is about a 1/16" or 3/32" gap where the pieces don't mate flush. This is true for both headlights. All other screws seem to go in fine and there is no gap like in the middle. I haven't had a chance to go back to the dealer to check out the lights on some other GTs w/Tech currently in-stock to see if this is just a one-off, or a more common problem. I love both the look and visibility of the LEDs, but thoroughly unimpressed with the headlamps so far due to this matter.

As an aside, my girlfriend's 2015 CR-V, purchased just a month before mine, has crystal clear headlight housings.... they appear brand new. Both vehicles have had the same washing treatment and schedule too.

This sounds really weird. Two things I can think of. 1. A manufacturing issue at which should be covered by your bumper to bumper warranty. 2. Someone's trying to steal you headlights and was loosening things up. I know it sounds crazy but headlights housings are usually secure. Water proof actually.

This sounds really weird. Two things I can think of. 1. A manufacturing issue at which should be covered by your bumper to bumper warranty. 2. Someone's trying to steal you headlights and was loosening things up. I know it sounds crazy but headlights housings are usually secure. Water proof actually.

I'm definitely leaning towards #1, manufacturing issue. And I'm assuming my bumper to bumper warranty will cover replacements (I will point this out to the dealer when I go in for my first oil change in a few weeks or so). If not, well, then things will get ugly.

#2 is unlikely, mainly because I live out in the sticks, and my 3 dogs go ape-$hit when anyone enters my property. My neighbors (some of whom are elderly and home all day long) would surely have noticed the commotion and let me know of anything unusual while I am away at work. Plus I leave the car locked at all times anyway... mainly because I keep an expensive pair of sunglasses in there just about 24/7.

I'm definitely leaning towards #1, manufacturing issue. And I'm assuming my bumper to bumper warranty will cover replacements (I will point this out to the dealer when I go in for my first oil change in a few weeks or so). If not, well, then things will get ugly.

#2 is unlikely, mainly because I live out in the sticks, and my 3 dogs go ape-$hit when anyone enters my property. My neighbors (some of whom are elderly and home all day long) would surely have noticed the commotion and let me know of anything unusual while I am away at work. Plus I leave the car locked at all times anyway... mainly because I keep an expensive pair of sunglasses in there just about 24/7.

The benefits of having watchful neighbors plus a dog. Can't beat that for car security :). Anyways good luck man. A dealer should be able to resolve the problem or order some new lights to be installed. Did you check the other lights around the car as well for leakage?

Some of these headlight assemblies have a dust plug in the back for some reason or another. I had an 06 Corolla that was in an accident (deer), and the front headlight assembly had to be replaced. After a month or so I noticed the inside of the headlight getting dirty. Here the person installing the headlight knocked the rear dust plug (maybe some kind of service plug?) off and the inside was exposed to dirt. Maybe there's something like this in the back that's missing. Or maybe the assembly has a crack in it somewhere.

The benefits of having watchful neighbors plus a dog. Can't beat that for car security :). Anyways good luck man. A dealer should be able to resolve the problem or order some new lights to be installed. Did you check the other lights around the car as well for leakage?

Thanks... all other lights seem to be just fine (aside from the tail lights having some minor surface scratches due to the prep kid/guy at the dealer... grrrr)

I'll just have to wait and see how the dealer reacts when the time comes to bring it in.

So, I stopped by the dealer while out running errands this weekend to look at the headlights on other GTs w/ Tech. Sure enough, they all appear the same, with the little gap around the top center screw just like mine. I'm wondering if its supposed to act as some type of check valve or vent to help moisture to escape? Either way, the salesman showing me the other vehicles definitely thought my lights looked crappy after just 7 months of ownership, and mentioned he was unaware of any other customers experiencing the same thing.

He offered to bring me over to the parts dept, but I declined, mentioning that I'll be back at some point for an oil change, and to have them check out a tailgate rattle.

So, I stopped by the dealer while out running errands this weekend to look at the headlights on other GTs w/ Tech. Sure enough, they all appear the same, with the little gap around the top center screw just like mine. I'm wondering if its supposed to act as some type of check valve or vent to help moisture to escape? Either way, the salesman showing me the other vehicles definitely thought my lights looked crappy after just 7 months of ownership, and mentioned he was unaware of any other customers experiencing the same thing.

He offered to bring me over to the parts dept, but I declined, mentioning that I'll be back at some point for an oil change, and to have them check out a tailgate rattle.
Check this thread and see if it helps you out: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Headlights-replaced-today&highlight=headlight

After restoring the lights on my wife's '06 Miata a couple of years ago (and therein removing any semblance of UV coating) I started using this once a month https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) on both her car and my CX-5. Seems to help, but there's nothing like keeping a car garaged to ward off this kind of damage.

+1 on this stuff. I use it on my 05 bmw after I restored the headlights with 3M and they still look like new after 6 months. Now I can really tell it's working because I hit a dear last month and they replaced the drivers headlight with a new one and my restored one looks just as nice.

+1 on this stuff. I use it on my 05 bmw after I restored the headlights with 3M and they still look like new after 6 months. Now I can really tell it's working because I hit a dear last month and they replaced the drivers headlight with a new one and my restored one looks just as nice.
Headlight lenses with HID on our 2000 BMW 528i have been hold up very well. I have never applied any protection to the headlight lenses of all the cars we have and here are my observation:

1987 VW Vanagon - nothing can beat longevity of glass headlight lenses:
1987%2BVW%2BVanagon%2BHeadlight.jpg

1998 Honda CR-V - after never garaged 18 years and 17,3132 miles, the lenses are as clear as brand new. The plastic lenses look like made of glass:
1998%2BHonda%2BCR-V%2BHeadlight.jpg

2000 BMW 528i - lenses are still clear and new, but driver side is leaking water and burning out expensive xenon bulb:
2000%2BBMW%2B528i%2BHeadlight.jpg

2001.5 VW Passat - the worst among our cars. The lenses degraded and yellowed after 7 years. The picture looks a lot nicer because the raining condition as the lens appears smoother with the wet surface:
2001.5%2BVW%2BPassat%2BHeadlight.jpg

These actually make me believe all plastic lenses, made of polycarbonate (PC), polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA), or something special on our BMW's (forgot the material name said in the new car brochure), are still different in material quality which affects their longevity. This thread make me think I should apply some protection like others mentioned to prolong the clarity of our CX-5 headlight lenses.

Curious on the topic of headlight dressings other than UV protectors, does anyone use any kind of water/dirt repellent coating on their headlight lenses?

I guess the CR-V's high sales volume speaks to just how ambivalent most Americans are to poor driving dynamics.

+1!!!

One of, if not the most popular SUV in the early '80s was the Ford Explorer. We bought one and it was the worst vehicle we've ever owned. Paraphrasing H. L. Menken: No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

The actual quote in 1926 was: No one in this world, so far as I know and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby. :(

Back