What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Nice brickwork on your house, Saints.
LOL at the Empire vs Stick Figure Family. I hate those decals.

Today, my first service maintenance at 8k KM exactly 5 months since I got this car. Dealer wanted to do free car wash as complimentary but said no since I just did a full detail clean yesterday. No thanks for the swirly mark ok Mr. Dealership... Also added a decal sticker on the back after car wash. What do you guys think?
My problem with the "empire hates your stick figures family" decal, is that you've just chosen a different side. It is still a stick figure decal that everyone on the road will come across. Not that I hate or prefer either one, to me they are still the same thing.

What is "fuel induction service"? (uhm)

Make sure to mention EPB TSB (sorry the pdf link I saved is broken) which will cause different wear rate between rear inner and outer brake pads (usually outer pad wears faster). This's caused by improper release of EPB mechanism which is built into the rear brake caliper. It needs new revised calipers to fix the issue. Most Mazda dealers would ignore it and simply telling you needing new pads. I pushed this issue to the master tech of my Mazda dealer just before my warranty ran out. He checked and agreed to replace all rear brake components with new pads、rotors、and revised calipers.

The other big item before warranty runs out is the LED headlights if your 2016 GT has them. Make sure to check the flickering LED DRLs and you're lucky if they are. A friend who took my suggestion bought a 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech now is dealing with Mazda North American Operations and trying to get his flickering LED headlights replaced with new car warranty just ran out. He ignored my warning and didn't bother to check, now he has to face the consequence.
"Fuel induction service" is a just a fancy name the dealership uses for throttle body and valve cleaning. Though since they only charge $150, I'm almost positive they do not walnut blast the intake valves (because the labor would be expensive for this). Last time I asked about it, the service advisor said they use a machine to pump some fuel cleaner or chemicals into the intake values to clean it.

I will have to do some reading into those rear brake issues you mentioned.

I have brand new headlights that they replaced under warranty last year, so that's as good as it gets as far headlights and warranty goes. I do hope they don't fail on me later. I just came across a 2016 CX-5 with the left DRL not working a few days ago.

i know with my 2017 the transmission is completely sealed and it would have to be "unsealed" (broken) to do a transmission flush. I thought the 2016 was the same so I'm wondering if that guy just had no idea what he was talking about. maybe an intern or he thought you were in a different vehicle...can't explain it.
The salesman who sold us our CX-5 said the same thing. That no matter what the service advisors say, our car has a sealed transmission and I can pretty much ignore recommendations for transmission flushes. The guy is fairly new compared to other service advisors at the dealership, but he was also the one who was pushing for some early services before. So I'm not surprised he was recommending a transmission flush. I just much pretty much ignore any recommendations like that.

Last edited:
I spot a one eyed CX5 with signature DRL every other work - the urge to yell at them and ask to get it fixed b4 warranty expires is high.
Then I look at my bleh looking touring with ello DRLs - the poverty spec Mazda. Yikes.

I spot a one eyed CX5 with signature DRL every other work - the urge to yell at them and ask to get it fixed b4 warranty expires is high.
Then I look at my bleh looking touring with ello DRLs - the poverty spec Mazda. Yikes.

Haha. "Poverty Spec Mazda". I like that line, Kaps. (thumb)

But hey, at least we aren't the you know....Sports....(cryhard)

⋯ A friend who took my suggestion bought a 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech now is dealing with Mazda North American Operations and trying to get his flickering LED headlights replaced with new car warranty just ran out. He ignored my warning and didn't bother to check, now he has to face the consequence.
Friend just told me that MNAO is only willing to pay the maximum of $1,500 for 2 LED headlights. So much for those getting free replacement with warranty ran out. I checked with my dealer (the same dealer for him) and found out MNAO's cost is $1,898 for the job. Not sure if the dealer would charge more to my friend for the markup. In any event I thought even $398 is excessive, as his 2016 CX-5 with 19,500 miles was purchased on April 5th, 2015. And the failure of these LED headlights definitely is a design defect. The last 2 cars he bought new were a Mazda6 and a CX-5, now is getting another new vehicle. He said he'll never get another Mazda after this experience!

Today, my first service maintenance at 8k KM exactly 5 months since I got this car. Dealer wanted to do free car wash as complimentary but said no since I just did a full detail clean yesterday. No thanks for the swirly mark ok Mr. Dealership... Also added a decal sticker on the back after car wash. What do you guys think?

Stick figures still popular their (uhm)

They used to be here but not so much for the last year or so

Installed dash cam today using the invisicord

41217113995_0428581578_b.jpg

42118204211_db61ac198b_b.jpg

42072107602_f5f366d1af_b.jpg

Stick figures still popular their (uhm)

They used to be here but not so much for the last year or so

Not really popular but I say a lot of the big vans and SUV still has them and since my wife is expecting our first child, why not go with the fad =) ...

The problem with the stick figure decals is that the ones where theres a dinosaur eating the stick figures and other miscellaneous ones like that are just as prevalent. That said, it's your car, do what you want! (thumb)

I have seen a T shirt, at Great Wolf Lodge, with an SUV with stick figures and two wolves on the side, saying that "Here is our menu".

Took it to the dealer for oil and filter change and tire rotations.
10.5k miles on it.
EDIT:
2017 sport AWD

Last edited:
Just finished getting my rear differential and transfer case oil changed.

Also got some information from the dealer regarding a transmission fluid change. They gave me a pamphlet that explained what they did. They specifically said they even disagreed with Mazda and definitely recommend replacing the fluid.

Rather than just removing the fluid found in the bottom of the pan, the entire transmission is cleaned and replenished with the use of special equipment. The transmission and its torque converter have all of their old contaminated fluid removed while new fluid and premium conditioners are added.

Just finished getting my rear differential and transfer case oil changed.

Also got some information from the dealer regarding a transmission fluid change. They gave me a pamphlet that explained what they did. They specifically said they even disagreed with Mazda and definitely recommend replacing the fluid.

Rather than just removing the fluid found in the bottom of the pan, the entire transmission is cleaned and replenished with the use of special equipment. The transmission and its torque converter have all of their old contaminated fluid removed while new fluid and premium conditioners are added.
My Mazda dealer also recommends ATF change, but only drain-and-fill with ATF filter change on CX-5 with SkyActiv-Drive auto tranny.

SkyActiv-Drive auto tranny has no ATF lines coming out and feed into an AFT cooler normally sits inside of radiator. Instead Mazda feeds engine coolant into the transmission to cool down the ATF. Transmission flushing machine needs ATF in/out ports to hook up and circulate old AFT replacing with fresh ATF. This means there’s no way to hook up such machine and “flush” the transmission, unless the torque converter is removed for major service.

My Mazda dealer also recommends ATF change, but only drain-and-fill with ATF filter change on CX-5 with SkyActiv-Drive auto tranny.

SkyActiv-Drive auto tranny has no ATF lines coming out and feed into an AFT cooler normally sits inside of radiator. Instead Mazda feeds engine coolant into the transmission to cool down the ATF. Transmission flushing machine needs ATF in/out ports to hook up and circulate old AFT replacing with fresh ATF. This means there’s no way to hook up such machine and “flush” the transmission, unless the torque converter is removed for major service.

Hmm...so is he just lying to me then? He made it sound like they had the special equipment needed to do it.

Back