Looking to buy 2014 or 2015 CX-9. Issues to be aware of?

trickdout6

:
2016 CX-9 Touring w/ Premium Package
Hi all,

After my Mazda6 was recently totaled, I've been looking for a new family car and have decided on a used CX-9 Grand Touring. I'm looking for a 2014 or 2015 and have found several with fairly low miles (14k to 25k) at dealers in my area. I was wondering if there are any issues with these I should look for or ask about?

Thanks in advance!

Search transfer case and water pump issues on the cx 9 awd. I believe the 2014 and 2015 versions have had these problems.

I bought a 2015 Grand Touring in Feb this year and the issue I had was the Grand Touring rims had turned black.

You're in a unique position if you're buying from Mazda because you can ask for stuff if you buy.

I have them refinish my rims correctly, had the remove the tint off the windows and retint (was scratched up), made them buff the car out (had water spots) and a few other things. They gave me a rental for a few days.

As for the transfer case if it's whining in 1st gear again have them replace it before you buy.

I bought mine with the sand interior and after 6 months my jeans have turned the driver seat blue. I use a tooth brush and dish soap to get it out every month.

Make sure it has Mazda OEM floor mats, two Key fobs that work properly. Also make sure it has Navigation. Don't worry about the Bose system, I have a none-Bose and it's stout. My wife's Mazda 6 has the Bose and it's great but mine can hold it's own.

I bought mine with 21,000 miles and it was flawless when I picked it up.

BEFORE
CX-9 GT Rims Before by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

AFTER
CX-9 Rims After by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

Mazda CX-9 Exterior by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

Mazda CX-9 Interior by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

Mazda LED Interior Lighting Rear by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

Thank you both. All of the ones we're looking at are FWD, so the transfer case problems won't be an issue. After test driving one a couple of weeks ago, I'm a little surprised that there are a decent number to choose from here in the Houston area. Coming from a 2004 6s and a 2007 Camry, it'll be really nice to have all the bells and whistles.

Thank you both. All of the ones we're looking at are FWD, so the transfer case problems won't be an issue. After test driving one a couple of weeks ago, I'm a little surprised that there are a decent number to choose from here in the Houston area. Coming from a 2004 6s and a 2007 Camry, it'll be really nice to have all the bells and whistles.

I was surprised too, I had 5 that I liked. In the end I went with the exterior that changes colors. Man I forgot the name of it, I think it's Transflash Mica or something. If you look in my pics above it's almost a charcoal color under fluorescent light but it's a bronze color in the sun. It's hard to explain but if you find this color get it. When the sun goes down the car is grey. I get asked, did you get another truck? I guess it's a rare color.

Make sure you get a Grand Touring that has everything. I was buying a 2016 model until I was told they all come in 4 cylinder turbo only. I wanted the V6 so I went down a model year to 2015 to get it. Like I said earlier they gave me a 2016 rental and the 4 cylinder turbo has plenty of power just isn't for me, love the power of the V6.

Mine didn't come with roof racks, it needs them. Although people tell me the truck looks expensive without them. If you were to buy them they are $400+ so don't leave without it.

Another complaint is the steering wheel can be trashed. I guess there is a coating on them that wears off, mine was average.

I wound up recovering it myself with leather, came out great. I'm going to recover my shifter knob in leather too, they don't make an all leather knob for our trucks.

BEFORE

Mazda Steering Wheel 1 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

Mazda Steering Wheel 2 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

AFTER

Mazda Steering Wheel 3 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

If the truck you want doesn't have navigation (look to the left under all those buttons) ask them to install it. All the Grand Touring's are prewired with Navi so it's plug and play. They just plug in the card reader. My truck didn't come with Navi but I'm getting ready to add it. It's about $400 for the card reader and $75 for the Maps.

Make sure you get another $500 off the truck if you buy without it, I did.

Here is where you'd install it.

Mazda Navi Panel 1 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

Mazda Navi Panel 2 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have a 2012 CX-9 GT FWD that I bought in 2014 from CarMax. I get 18.5/22 mpg from the V6. I have had no mechanical issues at all. Mine came with navigation, but I find the Mazda navigation to be sub par, especially compared to Apple Maps and Google Maps apps. One issue I have with the Mazda is that maps are not updated that frequently, I paid $200 for updated maps recently, they're still a couple of years old and there are a couple of streets here in Portland, OR that have been closed that aren't reflected in the maps, also the Mazda navigation tends to announce turns/exits very early, so you have to keep an eye on the screen and listen for the exit number. I have a dash mount for my iPhone (and iPad) and can Bluetooth the iPhone into the car's sound system, I find the iPhone better for navigating because I have the phone mounted in my field of vision. However, more and more states are putting fairly draconian bans in place for phone use while driving, so I may end up having to use the Mazda navigation more, even if it is less than stellar. Another advantage of the Mazda maps is it doesn't rely entirely on getting a cellular signal for navigation.

How's your gas mileage with the V6?

I get 19 around town and 22 on the highway.

When I rented the 2016 it was little better but I had to use the turbo to get the truck moving. I think I got 21 around town and 26 on the highway.

BUT....the sound of the V6 is sooooo much better. It's hard to hear a 4 cylinder fire up in this big truck.

I'm a Waze devotee, so I may not rely too heavily on the built-in nav, but as you said it's sometimes useful to not have to rely on a cell signal.

How about regular maintenance and repairs? Is it feasible to DIY most things?

I'm a Waze devotee, so I may not rely too heavily on the built-in nav, but as you said it's sometimes useful to not have to rely on a cell signal.

How about regular maintenance and repairs? Is it feasible to DIY most things?

I don't know about your area but at my dealership I only buy used certified which means the extended warranty to 2022 / 100,000 miles is FREE. I don't worry about repairs. My CX-9 and the wife's Mazda 6 Grand Touring are certified used.

As for maintenance, my dealership emails me service deals. Just had synthetic oil change and tire rotation done for $59. Put about 5,000 miles on it since I've purchased but it's been 6 months. I don't drive very much, work is down the street.

Mazda's are pretty easy to work on. Just installed JDM LED fog lamp bulbs on both my Mazda, 5 minutes each. Did front brakes on a new Mazda 3 recently, 14 minutes.

Like I said earlier they gave me a 2016 rental and the 4 cylinder turbo has plenty of power just isn't for me, love the power of the V6

Except that the 4-cylinder turbo has better performance in almost every category.

2013 Mazda CX-9 AWD:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 21.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 28.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.8 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.1 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.2 sec
Standing -mile: 15.9 @ 89 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 118 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 177 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.79 g

2016 Mazda CX-9 AWD:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.9 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 36.8 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.7 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.0 sec
Standing -mile: 15.5 sec @ 90 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 132 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 168 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.83 g

Except that the 4-cylinder turbo has better performance in almost every category.

2013 Mazda CX-9 AWD:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 21.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 28.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.8 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.1 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.2 sec
Standing -mile: 15.9 @ 89 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 118 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 177 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.79 g

2016 Mazda CX-9 AWD:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.9 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 36.8 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.7 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.0 sec
Standing -mile: 15.5 sec @ 90 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 132 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 168 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.83 g

Not quite, 4 banger sounds like garbo.

I don't consider sound to be a performance category, but point taken, the sound might not agree with everybody.

We both have Mazda 6 GT's so we know. I'm still a Mazda fan boy, just got to get my son to come back, we bought him a Jetta Turbo for high school graduation. I'm nervous, we took it to VW and they just want $99 just to look at it. I'm used to Certified Used Mazda, I don't have to pay diagnostics fees.

Recently rented a CX-3 and even though they are quite small my son really liked it. May bring the Jetta over to see if I can trade it in.

Well we've decided on a new 2016 Touring with premium package. Haven't finalized the price yet, but it's less than most of the used '16s that we've seen. Hopefully purchasing on Friday.

Neither of the ones I test drove had any of the A/C issues I've read about, which was a concern for me, being in South Texas.

Well we've decided on a new 2016 Touring with premium package. Haven't finalized the price yet, but it's less than most of the used '16s that we've seen. Hopefully purchasing on Friday.

Neither of the ones I test drove had any of the A/C issues I've read about, which was a concern for me, being in South Texas.

Congrats! Post pics when you get it.

Personally I would steer clear of the Mazda brand based on my recent experience. We have a Mazda CX-7 with 84,000 miles on it and just had the engine turbo and AC compressor fail. Dealer wants $4k+ to repair, and Mazda is unwilling to assist with any of the cost. Shocking that a major engine component would fail so early but seems to be common issue based on what the dealer said and reviews on Edmonds. Shouldn't trust a company that doesn't stand behind their work

Only had one major issue with my '04 6s while I had it, and had no problems with the Mazda warranty.

Here's the new ride:

20170819_183340_20170819220209630.jpg

Last edited:
Back