2016 CX-5 Can't Charge A Phone

Mike M.... Voltage and amperage did not change between idle and or while driving. No power when the car is off.

pdlpsher... The phone only actually pulls 0.5a from the car USB when connected through data+power. That's the difference in charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike M.... Voltage and amperage did not change between idle and or while driving. No power when the car is off.

pdlpsher... The phone only actually pulls 0.5a from the car USB when connected through data+power. That's the difference in charging.

Thanks. But why does the phone only request 0.5a when there's data going to the car? So it appears the only way to get 1.0amp is via a dedicated USB charger like the Aukey I purchased. Or is there a way to get the phone to ask for 1.0amp from the USB port on the car? I'll do some research on it via Google on this end too.

The only thing I can come up with is that phone will draw different amperage based on its charging needs. For example, all my tests were done with more than 70% battery life. It's possible the device will request a higher amperage when lower on battery, like under 20%. Purely a guess. I can run more tests if my battery ever gets that low. I'm kinda anal about charging, as you can tell, so it may take some time to get there.

As for the 0.5A Max while connected through a data+power port? Not sure, some people brought that up earlier in the thread and it sounds legit. Must just be a USB limitation.

The only thing I can come up with is that phone will draw different amperage based on its charging needs. For example, all my tests were done with more than 70% battery life. It's possible the device will request a higher amperage when lower on battery, like under 20%. Purely a guess. I can run more tests if my battery ever gets that low. I'm kinda anal about charging, as you can tell, so it may take some time to get there.

As for the 0.5A Max while connected through a data+power port? Not sure, some people brought that up earlier in the thread and it sounds legit. Must just be a USB limitation.

Thanks. To get around the 0.5 amp limitation I could just use my new Aukey 2.0 amp charger and bluetooth for connectivity. I'm anal about charging as well. My phone is always at 100% :)

Agreed... But I'm also anal about wires hanging and thrown across the center console. I just ordered a 10ft lightning cable I'm going to run from inside the armrest, through the console and out somewhere in the front. Probably do it this weekend, I'll send pics when done.

Agreed... But I'm also anal about wires hanging and thrown across the center console. I just ordered a 10ft lightning cable I'm going to run from inside the armrest, through the console and out somewhere in the front. Probably do it this weekend, I'll send pics when done.

Great idea. It's unfortunate Mazda took away the 12v outlet under the dash.

Mike M.... Voltage and amperage did not change between idle and or while driving.

That's good to know and it shows Mazda used a well-regulated power supply to feed the 5v USB outlets because the 12v system voltage definitely goes up and down a bit depending upon state of battery charge, rpm's and load (this is true for the CX-5 and every car I've ever owned). But I do wonder why the voltage is regulated to 4.6v instead of 5.0v because that will impact the charge rate.

That's good to know and it shows Mazda used a well-regulated power supply to feed the 5v USB outlets because the 12v system voltage definitely goes up and down a bit depending upon state of battery charge, rpm's and load (this is true for the CX-5 and every car I've ever owned). But I do wonder why the voltage is regulated to 4.6v instead of 5.0v because that will impact the charge rate.

I can test it again at some point, i revved the engine while parked to test. I could actually drive to see it, though that shouldn't make a huge difference. it did fluctuate slightly, but nothing that would make a difference (i.e. 4.58 - 4.61). Still not significantly closer to a true 5v output.

Great idea. It's unfortunate Mazda took away the 12v outlet under the dash.

pdlpsher... I finished up my cell mount and getting a proper charge up front. It ended up being easier than I thought it would be.

I first removed the center dash piece and the trim around the display
cb82754dede7b0aa7720a2484f234b7b.jpg

I used the following PanaVise InDash cellphone mount. They don't make a specific one for the CX-5, so I bought this one for an Impreza and modified it slightly by straightening the back part of the mount and drilling a second screw hole.
976945368554fdd52b342e5d9a79cd7c.jpg

c6901d1d5cefe7b7ec7ebbe7b945ca6e.jpg

Removed the display and shifted it out of the way just enough to screw the mount in. You can also see I had to bend the mount slightly to go with the angle of the dash.
547c8a4c8e75d83e659c06fff1f91c52.jpg

With that done, I moved to the center console. Didn't want to take too much apart, so I drilled a hole just big enough for my long lightning cable to get through. I then snaked it out the side of the console next to the passenger seat.
028315a0a95e1e3fde3725485d131074.jpg

Then, tucked it under the console all the way to the front, pulling it into the glove box. Good spot to tuck the cable away when not using it.
c80854cdbdb27d7236314a9e7cbcf440.jpg

Snapped everything into place, and this is what the bracket looks like finished. That magnet mount sucks though. I just ordered one from RokForm, theirs are much stronger.
4d73272cc3cd9c75f4fb1d8fb38df10b.jpg

With the phone on the mount.
93a4b28113bcbbda88b09adae19e2267.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with the angle of the bracket, but it will do for having to make one work. On the plus side, this setup gave me a 20% increase on my charge while using Waze with the screen on and streaming Apple Music through Bluetooth.

Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing!

I got my Aukey charger. It's much better than the factory USB charger.

Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing!

I got my Aukey charger. It's much better than the factory USB charger.

It will charge your phone way faster than traditional chargers if your phone has a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor (800 series or newer). It uses proprietary Qualcomm technology. I'm not sure if Qualcomm licenses it to other chip makers but it wouldn't surprise me if they do. Anyway, most higher end smartphones use Qualcomm chips. If your phone doesn't have rapid charge technology the Aukey charger will charge it like a normal charger (slow).

The pace of wireless technology is amazing. I don't even bother with a car charger since my phone has wireless charging and, using the rapid charge technology, it is nearly fully charged in under an hour just from sitting on the pad. In the future, all cars will have wireless charging pads built into the phone compartment. It only costs less than a dollar to add this capability to a phone and probably not much more to add it to a car.

The pace of wireless technology is amazing. I don't even bother with a car charger since my phone has wireless charging and, using the rapid charge technology, it is nearly fully charged in under an hour just from sitting on the pad. In the future, all cars will have wireless charging pads built into the phone compartment. It only costs less than a dollar to add this capability to a phone and probably not much more to add it to a car.

My personal problem with wireless charging pads is that the phone can't be easily used while charging. For example, good luck using that phone phone as a GPS, in a safe way (viewable without taking your eyes off the windshield), while its in your phone cubby charging. It's a decent Segway into the true break through tech of WiFi charging, but it has many faults which make it hard for me to embrace.

My personal problem with wireless charging pads is that the phone can't be easily used while charging. For example, good luck using that phone phone as a GPS, in a safe way (viewable without taking your eyes off the windshield), while its in your phone cubby charging.

I don't use my cellphone while I'm driving (unless I take a call via hands free Bluetooth).

There isn't a GPS out there that is viewable without taking your eyes off the road. Even a heads up display requires you to de-focus the road. But it is not problem to build wireless charging into whatever holds your phone. In other words, there is nothing that says the charge pad has to be horizontal or in a cubby.

Most new phones need 2A to charge and older USB specs can't provide this kind of current draw.
My 2014 will *maybe* charge my phone when it is off. I will not even get a charging icon when it is on.

I have purchased a 110V/USB 2A charger on Amazon which plugs into the outlet in the console. With it, I can charge my phone / tablet and power a laptop.

I think you mean 12VDC on the Cigarette lighter plug. Only power-ed USB port will charge your phones. The 12V plug-in with USB will step down the 12V to 5V to charge your phone.

Hi all. I have my first Mazda (coming off a Subaru) and I use my phone for navigation. In my Subaru, I would plug it in to the USB adapter that I put in the "lighter" outlet and it would prevent the battery from depleting during navigation and even charge it up. My new Mazda can't do either. I plug the sam phone with the same charger cable into the already existing USB ports and the charge is such a trickle, it only charges if the screen is off. Not really great if I'm navigating with the phone. It can't even maintain the current battery level, which would be fine with me. Anyone else have this issue, know how to fix it, or is it a repair issue?

Mine ever so slowly charges my phone. VERY SLOW, like 2-3% per half hour or so, and that's with the screen off. It's just the nature of not having a proper 110v outlet like most SUV's have.

Mine charges pretty fast. Do the new ones really not have a power outlet under the dash anymore?

Back