2018 CX-5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/Jerk/Lurch

I did not check the transmission oil level on any of the CX-5s. Is this all due to underfilled factory oil?

Only process of elimination will tell.

It sucks that we can't just pop the hood, pull a dipstick and fill as required. But if my car did this, I'd get the fluid checked asap.

Only process of elimination will tell.

It sucks that we can't just pop the hood, pull a dipstick and fill as required. But if my car did this, I'd get the fluid checked asap.
Agreed.

And the modified transmission could also play a role of such issue as we rarely hear such complaint from 2017 and prior CX-5 owners.

1. Rented a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD - had low speed lurching due to engine braking.
2. Rented a 2018 CX-5 GT FWD - had low speed lurching due to engine braking.
3. Purchased a 2019 CX-5 Signature - currently have low speed lurching when driving 0 to 25 mph. It seems to mostly occur at 18 mph - I just maintain light pressure on the accelerator to keep it out of the lurch speed.
Now I am experiencing a weird noise and "shift" when braking to a complete stop. Maybe downshifting 2 to 1?
The car is already warmed up and driven on the freeway for 45 minutes before I hit traffic.
4. Loaner - 2019 CX-5 Sport FWD - typical engine braking but no speed lurching.

I did not check the transmission oil level on any of the CX-5s. Is this all due to underfilled factory oil?

Did you noticed shift flair in any of these vehicles. Specifically on the 1-2 shift before operating temperature is reached?

My 2019 GT-R has a flair in that scenario. I finally scheduled an appointment for next week. Also sometimes has a flair when slowing down to around 18-25 then getting back onto the throttle(turning in parking lots and neighborhoods). Acts confused before finally picking a gear.

I looked into checking the fluid level from under the hood. Its nearly impossible with the turbo model. Removing the air box assembly doesnt help. There is a wiring harness in the way.

After the ECU flash recall my low speed hesitation seems to be gone. I am getting 1 MPG more too. I wonder if the reflash is more than just for the rocker issue.

Here's my theory. Refresh battery disconnect. Transmission reset. It is now learning how you drive. When that learning part is complete hesitation will return.

Here's my theory. Refresh battery disconnect. Transmission reset. It is now learning how you drive. When that learning part is complete hesitation will return.

My transmission has been reset twice and I can confirm that this is what happens.

Also, I brought up the possibility of low transmission fluid to my dealer at my last oil change and asked them to check it. They assured me it was fine and there was no change. That's not the same as "we definitely checked it and found that it was filled to the top" but what am I gonna do?

Last edited:
Also, I brought up the possibility of low transmission fluid to my dealer at my last oil change and asked them to check it. They assured me it was fine and there was no change. That's not the same as "we definitely checked it and found that it was filled to the top" but what am I gonna do?

I'd find the directions posted here for checking the tranny fluid and take it to an independent shop to have them check it.

Problem with the reflash is that it only affects the non-turbo models.... for those of us with the Turbo's, we're still stuck....

That's a good reason for anyone who primarily drives in town or gridlock to avoid the turbo.

That's a good reason for anyone who primarily drives in town or gridlock to avoid the turbo.

LOL then I go read the CD post and think.. hey, I'm really glad I got a turbo LOL.

Its one of those "grass isn't greener" things. lol

LOL then I go read the CD post and think.. hey, I'm really glad I got a turbo LOL.

Its one of those "grass isn't greener" things. lol

Yeah, Mazda's got to get BOTH of those problems sorted out.
If the report that the 20s won't be here until next year is accurate, maybe they're working on some major production changes. Or not.
I hate to read about these transmission problems because I've owned several cars that had similar symptoms, and I know how aggravating it is.

I've experienced somewhat similar conditions but it seems to be more on a cold start and in reverse. So if I leave the car on the driveway for a couple hours or more, then back it into the garage, depending on how cold the outside temp is it seems to lurch, similar to a V8 with a lopy cam. It only seems to be when cold and moving slowly... not a big concern as long as you are expecting it.

Would I give up the turbo because of this... not in this lifetime!

Did you noticed shift flair in any of these vehicles. Specifically on the 1-2 shift before operating temperature is reached?

My 2019 GT-R has a flair in that scenario. I finally scheduled an appointment for next week. Also sometimes has a flair when slowing down to around 18-25 then getting back onto the throttle(turning in parking lots and neighborhoods). Acts confused before finally picking a gear.

I looked into checking the fluid level from under the hood. Its nearly impossible with the turbo model. Removing the air box assembly doesnt help. There is a wiring harness in the way.

I do notice one shift "flair" or noise (single tick) when leaving in the morning before operating temperature.

What I posted previously were for when the car has been operating for at least 30 minutes of freeway driving.

Let us know what the dealer says. I looked under the hood to look for the wiring harness. Is it underneath the air filter box? I didn't have time to lift the air box out of the way.

I do notice one shift "flair" or noise (single tick) when leaving in the morning before operating temperature.

What I posted previously were for when the car has been operating for at least 30 minutes of freeway driving.

Let us know what the dealer says. I looked under the hood to look for the wiring harness. Is it underneath the air filter box? I didn't have time to lift the air box out of the way.

Shift flair isnt a noise. Its minor converter slip. The RPMs jump slightly and hang before dropping when the converter locks for second gear. I posted a video in another thread.

I didnt fully remove the air box but I removed the filter and moved the box up and to the side. Removing it requires disconnecting the inlet and silencer. I was able to move it enough to find theres a wiring harness in the way of the sip stick so I didnt bother removing the box.

Shift flair isnt a noise. Its minor converter slip. The RPMs jump slightly and hang before dropping when the converter locks for second gear. I posted a video in another thread.

I didnt fully remove the air box but I removed the filter and moved the box up and to the side. Removing it requires disconnecting the inlet and silencer. I was able to move it enough to find theres a wiring harness in the way of the sip stick so I didnt bother removing the box.

Oh ok. That does happen in traffic - seems like it's hesitant to shift when I get to around 18 mph and then it shifts down and the car starts engine braking. I have had it where the car does start "wobbling" or oscillating a little bit in these conditions.

When I had the rental 2018 CX-5, I would manually shift into manual mode and hold the car in 2nd in stop and go traffic.

My driving habits in stop and go traffic are to use the brakes as least as possible and to maintain movement. The MRCC is a bit agressive in stop and go conditions.

just saw this thread. I have not noticed on my 2019 GTR purchased in July now with 2,300 miles/ I just went out and tried to duplicate the problems people have been posting about but couldn't. I tried everything that has been posted about.

Not sure if this related but I was coming to stop at a stop sign today and when I was at maybe 2 - 5 mph, I felt a clunk in the brake pedal as I was relieving my foot off the brake pedal.

This seems to be occuring more often.

Back