2016 CX-5 rear brake TSB resolution

I wasn't aware of this, not to get off topic but do you think the CDA issue will go the same way?
Most definitely in my opinion. Mazda has to come up a solution fixing the rocker arm falling issue, and a software fix is the easiest and cheapest way to do. Honda did the same thing with PCM software fix for its oil dilution issue on Honda 1.5T. But software can only do so much for certain controls. The rocker arm for Mazdas cylinder deactivation doesnt have any physical barrier to prevent its falling. Any unexpected oil pressure changes may cause the rocker arm losing the support by HLA and falling. And the control of oil pressure is a complex matter and involves too many outside variables such as oil viscosity.

Theres another design issue on HLA for CD I can never figure out. The purpose of hydraulic lash adjuster is to eliminate the need of adjusting valve clearance. But these PLAs for cylinder #1 and #4 use a lock pin to prevent collapse and push down the valve. Does this mean it has lost the feature of hydraulic lifter function and the periodical adjustment on valve clearance is required like the old days?

Well, I thought I may be having an issue with TSB R052/16C. I took the car to the dealer yesterday to check a couple of things. The service manager initially said they have to get the brakes to produce the noise when backing up and it wasn't happening. I know it's random but. After speaking with him he said they pulled off all four wheels and looked things over really well (pads, calipers...discs..etc). Stated that things were wearing very evenly and all looked really good. No unusual wearing or discolorations. Stated that Mazda says it is normal to hear some occasional sound when backing up and braking.

On a side note it sounds like aren't being very supportive of replacing headlights with the DRL issue. They had seen it and assisted customers but sounds like they may have got burned on some cases by Mazda. They did say if the issue comes up to reach out to them as Mazda has been assisting some people with the cost when out of warranty.

I got my rear TSB done and after that, when the EPB is engaged and I press the throttle it does not disengage. It used to do that before. I just went out of warranty.

I got my rear TSB done and after that, when the EPB is engaged and I press the throttle it does not disengage. It used to do that before. I just went out of warranty.
Thiss not right and youve got problems. Take your CX-5 back to the Mazda dealer who performed the TSB, as theyre responsible to fix the problem if they screwed something up!

Just curious, for those that don't have the rear brake issues, how long do your rear brake pads last?

My wife's CX-5 would have definitely been manufactured before September 2016. The rear brake pads lasted 52,000 miles though. From the other thread I looked at, other owners have been replacing brake pads even earlier than that. Whether or not they have this rear brake issue, I don't know.

Kinda off topic. But, glad you have not experienced the TSB issue (rear brakes dragging). That is the nature of a TSB: not every car is going to have the issue.
Speaking for myself: 60K on a set of pads is good. I wouldn't have any complaints about that.

Late joiner here. My 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 apparently had this same issue at 38k miles. I was coming home from work and smelled burning rubber, when I got the car home I could literally hear the rear rotors contracting from excessive heat. I took off the tires and saw that the pads were down to like 2-3mm mark (can't remember if the inner side was worn more than the outer) on both sides. Since this car is my daily driver, I bought aftermarket pads and rotors and course did it the ole fashioned way that night which apparently is a huge No/No since I now discovered an article about putting the car in maintenance mode/compressing the caliper instead of twisting.

My question is this, I see no option for an "aftermarket" rear caliper for Mazda so in the event my brakes do this again (most likely) are we forced to have this work done at a Mazda Dealership and/or buy the OEM Parts? I'm at the 43 months/38k miles so I am outside of the 36k warranty window.

I see my car's VIN falls in the US affected range of 600015 - 866136, I didn't get a chance to look at the caliper stamps (never occurred to me that this was even an issue or TSB) but I can almost guarantee they are below 697.

Last edited:
rear brakes

every how much time its recommended to grease the rear caliper pins?
heard it got issues because of the e hand brake.
tnx

So what s the fix if I am outside of the warranty? I need rear brakes and I'm worried this is the issue. Does mazda make any concessions of parts cost for the rear caliper if it needs to be replaced?

So what s the fix if I am outside of the warranty? I need rear brakes and I'm worried this is the issue. Does mazda make any concessions of parts cost for the rear caliper if it needs to be replaced?
How many miles on your 2016 CX-5? If you find you need rear disk pads too early, or your rear pads show uneven thickness between inner and outer ones, most likely you need new revised rear disk calipers. See the TSB which has detailed information. You usually have to fight to get original faulty rear disk calipers replaced even with warranty. It may be difficult to get some compensation from MNAO without new car warranty. You can always give it a try by contacting Customer Experience Center if you can see some obvious sign of rear disk dragging described in the TSB.

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

I think some folks just have the pads sticking in the caliper. Theres a spring above the pads and its kind of a pain(more so than others Ive done) to get the whole assembly back together.

I had what I thought was a sticking rear caliper. Brought it to the dealer with 35k and change on it. They said the pads were seized in the caliper and bracket. The most recent TSB didnt cover my VIN. The stamping on the calipers isnt readable. Its a 16.5 manufactured in September 2016.

I replaced the pads and rotors over 3k miles ago and havent had any issues.

I check the temps with an infrared gun every now and again and all 4 corners are always within a few degrees.

The car is a DD that sits outside in rough New England winters so its not surprising the pads and rotors were shot at that mileage.

Has anyone had a Mazda Service Center actually do the TSB if the vehicle just surpassed the 36k?

Is there a DIY thread to do rear pad replacement at home? (I haven*t hit it yet - thx)

Anyone with a 2016 cx5 and EPB is being lied to about their rear brakes. The dealer and mazda canada has blamed mine on "rusty brake pins", which is total bs as the pins have gotten lubed every year as i had to replace the brake pads every year and rotors twice. One of my coworkers has the same car but only 40k kms and they did the brakes once under warranty and have now told him the second time he needed rear brakes that the problem is due to using the "enhanced cruise control" system. lolol, guess the front brakes are just along for the ride then? Or maybe their unqualified service staff just don't know what brake bias is.

They are outright making these excuses up to avoid paying for the faulty calipers.

I will never buy a mazda product again and wouldn't recommend these crapmobiles to my worst enemy.

We’ve seen quite a few Canadian CX-5 owners complaining about rust issue on brakes since early 2013 MY. Not sure if you actually presented the EPB dragging TSB to your Mazda dealer and Mazda Canada at the time you’re having the rear brake problem, but my experience is I’ve to be on top of the issue once I saw the first TSB issued, and keep watching the problem escalated to the 2nd and the 3rd TSB with different resolution to the problem. I believe my Mazda dealer which I have good relationship with is understanding the issue and also is very honest and helpful about my concern on EPB dragging issue. They replaced the rear calipers with new pads and rotors with only slight sign of problem described in the TSB.

Honestly every car manufacture will have some issues and Mazda has never been well known as the most reliable vehicle in the industry. If the the longevity and reliability is your top priority, you should consider Lexus or Toyota which has been consistently rated the most reliable car brand for many years.

I have owned Mazdas for more than 20years and have always been impressed by their quality and support. Not anymore.

My vin AND the caliper batch numbers match the TSB that identified the problem as the epb caliper ball and ramp assembly that is faulty. They have dismissed the problem several times and the one service manager at the dealer tried to tell me I didn't have an epb. Then said it's not a warranty item, then said my warranty was expired, literally at the exact same time they were replacing the right rear wheel bearing under warranty. The bearing most likely failed due to dragging and heat buildup to boot. This car eats rear brakes like no other on the planet. 3 sets of pads and 2 sets of rotors in 100,000kms is absurd. These are rear brakes ffs.

Unfortunately Mazda Canada just sells cars to their dealers, there is zero engineering knowledge here and it is a dishonour to the Mazda brand.

They refuse to own up to the problem so it's now my lifelong mission to spread the word about their shady practices and how you too can save the time, money and hassle by not buying Mazda.

Happy 100th Mazda!

Anyone with a 2016 cx5 and EPB is being lied to about their rear brakes. The dealer and mazda canada has blamed mine on "rusty brake pins", which is total bs as the pins have gotten lubed every year as i had to replace the brake pads every year and rotors twice. One of my coworkers has the same car but only 40k kms and they did the brakes once under warranty and have now told him the second time he needed rear brakes that the problem is due to using the "enhanced cruise control" system. lolol, guess the front brakes are just along for the ride then? Or maybe their unqualified service staff just don't know what brake bias is.

They are outright making these excuses up to avoid paying for the faulty calipers.

I will never buy a mazda product again and wouldn't recommend these crapmobiles to my worst enemy.
Most people who are having the same experience like you with Mazda would have the same complaint and be disappointed about the car brand.

We’ve seen quite a few Canadian CX-5 owners complaining about rust issue on brakes since early 2013 MY. Not sure if you actually presented the EPB dragging TSB to your Mazda dealer and Mazda Canada at the time you’re having the rear brake problem, but my experience is I’ve to be on top of the issue once I saw the first TSB issued, and keep watching the problem escalated to the 2nd and the 3rd TSB with different resolution to the problem. I believe my Mazda dealer which I have good relationship with was understanding the issue and also was very honest and helpful about my concern on EPB dragging issue. They replaced the rear calipers with new pads and rotors with only slight sign of symptoms described in the TSB.

Honestly every car manufacture will have some issues and Mazda has never been well known as the most reliable vehicle in the industry. In addition, EPB was a new feature on CX-5 for 2016 MY which will have higher risk of having problems. If the longevity and reliability are your top priority, you should consider Lexus or Toyota which has been consistently rated to be the most reliable car brand in the industry for many years.

I have owned Mazdas for more than 20years and have always been impressed by their quality and support. Not anymore.

@heliian, sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences with your CX-5 and the Mazda brand in general.

My vin AND the caliper batch numbers match the TSB that identified the problem as the epb caliper ball and ramp assembly that is faulty. They have dismissed the problem several times and the one service manager at the dealer tried to tell me I didn't have an epb. Then said it's not a warranty item, then said my warranty was expired, literally at the exact same time they were replacing the right rear wheel bearing under warranty. The bearing most likely failed due to dragging and heat buildup to boot. This car eats rear brakes like no other on the planet. 3 sets of pads and 2 sets of rotors in 100,000kms is absurd. These are rear brakes ffs.

Unfortunately Mazda Canada just sells cars to their dealers, there is zero engineering knowledge here and it is a dishonour to the Mazda brand.

They refuse to own up to the problem so it's now my lifelong mission to spread the word about their shady practices and how you too can save the time, money and hassle by not buying Mazda.

Happy 100th Mazda!
I used to buy cars only from Germany and I keep my vehicles forever. But my 2000 BMW 528i has failed on me and the steering rack had to be replaced under warranty. The water pump exploded at 28K miles but just passed 5 years for the new car warranty. BMW USA refused to do anything on it which I wasn’t happy about it but was understandable. My 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 5-speed was burning a quart of oil per 800 ~ 1,000 miles since new, and VWoA kept insisting it’s normal and refused to do any warranty service on it. When I started getting tired of fixing unreasonable problems which I usually do it by myself, I decided to avoid the VW and BMW’s to save my energy. My 1998 Honda CR-V EX AWD with 185K miles is the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned. So far my 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT with Tech Package is not as problem free as my CR-V, but it’s expected as I understand Mazda is not the most reliable car brand in the industry. And I feel I’m lucky that my area doesn’t have too much salt on the road, or the rust issue in many areas on my CX-5 will be a big headache to me.

Honestly CX-5 itself is not too much problem to you, but the dealer service is a problem, so as the Mazda Canada. So dislike Mazda as you wish like me towards VW and BMW, but there’s nothing perfect in the real world. There’s always something even if you have a Lexus.

This doesn't help the OP any, but Mazda was recently awarded the #1 spot in Consumer Reports' Car Brand Reliability Ranking for 2020, beating out Toyota, Lexus, Buick, and Honda.
This’s really a news to me. Please provide the link.

As a note, I have never had an issue in previous years with my protégé, Mazda 3 hatch, 323 or b4000. I even liked the cx5 so much I dropped 40gs CAD on it brand new with a 4 yr/unlimited km's warranty.

Unfortunately, it would seem I'm stuck with these faulty calipers until I retire the car or sell it.

Back