Battery going? 2016 CX-5

:
Mazda 2016 CX-5
2016 GT with tech package
39000 miles

Symptoms
Early morning coldest part of day temp mid forties

I go to start car, hit the button and it hesitates about a second, then starts but with all dashboard warning lights on and or flashing. I immediately shut down , wait about ten seconds, then restart and everything is fine. This has happened about 3,4 times in the past week since cool weather FINALLY arrived in Charlotte. Going to dealer in the morning but thinking its the battery. Opinions ?

If it is the original battery that is most likely the issue, batteries these days tend to only last about 3-4 years.

Last edited:
Agree. The batteries on my '14 Mazda3 and '16 Mazda6 both lasted about 3 yrs only.
Replace it and see what happens. Sounds like a battery going bad based on your description.

Heck, you can drive into most auto parts stores these days and they'll load test for free right then & there.

No waiting.
No dropping the car off.

Heck, you can drive into most auto parts stores these days and they'll load test for free right then & there.

No waiting.
No dropping the car off.

Same for dealership. Was the same cost at dealer as it was autozone, AND I got a Mazda battery made specifically for my vehicle, with an equal or better warranty vs. Autozone's battery.

Same for dealership. Was the same cost at dealer as it was autozone, AND I got a Mazda battery made specifically for my vehicle, with an equal or better warranty vs. Autozone's battery.

Yeh, I was gonna make some comment that you should use this service for diagnostics and not to have them replace your battery, but didn't want to open up a "What's wrong with their batteries?" debate.

I figured the guy could just show up to have the problem confirmed/denied on the spot.

Adding my experience for future searchers.
My CX-5 was doing longer start or hesitation when it was cold, but started up fine later afternoon when it was warmer.
Another symptom I saw was the flashing parking bake light (both on dash and on the control / lever to disengage/engage it) .
Took the car to autozone, battery failed load test. Replaced it there in the parking lot and both symptoms were resolved.

Latest posts

Back