CX-9 vs Volvo XC90

Anyone cross shopped these two vehicles before settling on CX-9?

I'll soon be in the market for a 3 row SUV, where the third row will only be used when we have family in town or such, so not very often. But the extra space will be great for my dog.

Anyways, these two seem to get raving reviews in their respective classes. They're similar in size, both are on smaller ends, but both are higher end for their class.

XC-90 seemed to have some reliability issues with first model year but seems like most of those have been ironed out by now.

I'm comparing 2018/2019 CX-9 signature vs. 2017/2018 XC-90 momentum trim.

I haven't test driven either one so definitely would need to do that.

If anyone has driven both, would love to hear what yo think about them.

My biggest gripe with CX-9 is no third row/trunk AC vent and infotainment/screen seems a bit outdated.

I test drove both and was cross shopping between the 2017 inscription and 2019 cx-9 signature.

The XC90 pros:

More power
More comfortable suspension (air suspension)
Better speakers (bowers and wilkins)
Much better interior materials
Larger trunk and third row seating
Ride quality was better over bumps.
Much more comfortable seats
Transmission is much more smooth
Self parking and more tech in general

Cons:

Price
Reliability may be a concern with the turbo and supercharged engine
Takes 91 octane
Less warranty if purchased used (or no warranty)

Cx-9 pros
Much cheaper
Buying new vs older xc-90
Cheaper to operate and more reliable
Longer factory warranty
A slightly quieter interior on the highway
87 octane fuel

Cons:
Transmission is jerky sometimes
Ride quality is harsh over bumps
Seat material and padding is stiff (both front seat cushions have imprints on the leather) I'm like 150 pounds and my wife is 100.. never had such crappy leather in a car.
Plasticky and glossy interior that are easily scuffed
Noisy engine
Horrendous infotainment system. Glitchy like hell and crashes all the time.

In the end we went with the cx-9 due to pricing, reliability and warranty

I dont regret my decision one bit!

Last edited:
the third row will only be used when we have family in town or such, so not very often.

My biggest gripe with CX-9 is no third row/trunk AC vent and infotainment/screen seems a bit outdated.

Since you state that the 3rd row will not be used often, I would think that the lack of a 3rd row AC vent should not be a deal-breaker.
Now, the infotainment issue might be, so I would recommend waiting on the official Mazda statement on the 2020 changes since it is rumored to have a 9-inch screen (from an 8-inch) and may have infotainment updates.

IMO, the fact that the Mazda CX-9 is being compared to an Volvo XC90 says that the Mazda is punching above its class. So, I would expect the Mazda to be, maybe, 7/8ths of a Volvo XC90, but not equal. I would argue that I prefer the drive of the CX-9 over the XC90. And of course, the main advantage of the CX-9 is price. So, the question really is whether the price advantage outweighs the shortcomings. If you do choose the XC90, I would recommend a CPO so that it comes with additional warranty. At least, that's how I would buy pre-owned XC90, if I were to.

I briefly cross-shopped my 2018 CX-9 with a 2018 XC-90, but only on paper. If I could afford it, I might be in the XC-90 right now. They got a lot of stuff right with the interior, like the seats, the lack of piano black trim, and the nice large infotainment display. Lots of nice powertrain options too. That said, I do appreciate Mazda's execution. In fact, comparing them again, it makes me more appreciative of the CX-9 and how it's able to provide so much car for a much lower price.

If you put both in front of me, hid the price, and asked me to take one home, it would probably be the XC-90. It's a great looking vehicle with lots of goodies. With price as a factor, I'd take the CX-9 any day of the week.

I test drove both and was cross shopping between the 2017 inscription and 2019 cx-9 signature.

I wonder how many pros the Momentum has over the CX-9. With air suspension being gone, how is the ride comparison then? Would not get B&W either, so the Bose in CX-9 probably sounds better than the default option in XC-90. I also like the larger optional 20 in. wheels in XC-90, which would further stiffen the ride up.

At the end of the day, I would really only be gaining the better seats and higher tech with the Volvo. The design and style is very subjective and they're both great. CX-9 is more conventional while Volvo is more futuristic/minimalistic like a Tesla.

Since you state that the 3rd row will not be used often, I would think that the lack of a 3rd row AC vent should not be a deal-breaker.

I would probably have the third row folded 90% of the time and my dog would go in there when we go to the park, hiking, etc... So it would be nice to have AC vents for her since summers can be quite brutal. There has also been some chatter around here about CX-9 AC, so hopefully that's just a few bad apples and there's no design flaw.

But you are right, it is not a deal-breaker. I just see almost every 3 row SUV (even cheaper ones like Durango) having third row vents and can't imagine why Mazda left it off.

Now, the infotainment issue might be, so I would recommend waiting on the official Mazda statement on the 2020 changes since it is rumored to have a 9-inch screen (from an 8-inch) and may have infotainment updates.

Honestly I would probably buy a used CX-9 so most likely would not get a 2020 model. I'm aiming for a used 2018 or if I'm lucky to find a used 2019 model. The surround view in 2019 model would be nice but not a deal breaker either. As long as it has seat heaters and steering wheel heater.

IMO, the fact that the Mazda CX-9 is being compared to an Volvo XC90 says that the Mazda is punching above its class. So, I would expect the Mazda to be, maybe, 7/8ths of a Volvo XC90, but not equal. I would argue that I prefer the drive of the CX-9 over the XC90. And of course, the main advantage of the CX-9 is price. So, the question really is whether the price advantage outweighs the shortcomings. If you do choose the XC90, I would recommend a CPO so that it comes with additional warranty. At least, that's how I would buy pre-owned XC90, if I were to.

You are definitely right. Mazda hit it out of the ballpark with this one. It has its shortcomings like every other vehicle, but interior quality and design is definitely up there with Audi and BMW imo. Volvo kind of hit it out of the ballpark too though. I never really considered previous Volvos to be in the same league as higher end German cars.

I would definitely buy the Volvo VIP warranty if I did get a Volvo. CPOs are harder to find but at least with the VIP warranty, I'd mostly be covered. That's another $2-3k to budget for though. So I'd probably be looking at a 2017/18 XC90 with 30-40k miles vs. 2018/19 CX-9 with 10-20k miles. One thing I've noticed is that it is VERY hard to find a used CX-9 configured how you want. Mazda didn't seem to make that many of them so they're not as readily available as XC-90s. I also rarely see CX-9s on the road, which is a positive for me since I like a bit of uniqueness. I'm sure if I bought one I'd be seeing one daily though.

I briefly cross-shopped my 2018 CX-9 with a 2018 XC-90, but only on paper. If I could afford it, I might be in the XC-90 right now. They got a lot of stuff right with the interior, like the seats, the lack of piano black trim, and the nice large infotainment display. Lots of nice powertrain options too. That said, I do appreciate Mazda's execution. In fact, comparing them again, it makes me more appreciative of the CX-9 and how it's able to provide so much car for a much lower price.

If you put both in front of me, hid the price, and asked me to take one home, it would probably be the XC-90. It's a great looking vehicle with lots of goodies. With price as a factor, I'd take the CX-9 any day of the week.

Yea I'll definitely have to test drive both and see which one I like more. I think either one is a great choice so there's no right or wrong answer here.

Check out the following videos from Alex Dykes. He gives a thorough review on vehicles:
2019 Mazda CX-9
2019 Volvo XC90

And I understand you now about the 3rd-row AC vents for your puppy. I think that the 2020 CX-9 will be adding 3rd row vents.

I wonder how many pros the Momentum has over the CX-9. With air suspension being gone, how is the ride comparison then? Would not get B&W either, so the Bose in CX-9 probably sounds better than the default option in XC-90. I also like the larger optional 20 in. wheels in XC-90, which would further stiffen the ride up.

I imagine that the XC-90 would still be a tad more comfortable while the CX-9 leans a little more on the sporty side. The Bose system is decent, but it honestly sounds like it should be the standard equipment on the base model. It would be great if they offered a better audio option like the B&W system (love their earbuds, best I've ever used). One other thing to consider is the OEM tire offered on the CX-9. In my experience, they're fine for wet and dry pavement, but they're not that great in the snow. Very quiet tires as well. I have no idea how the tires on the XC-90 are.

Honestly I would probably buy a used CX-9 so most likely would not get a 2020 model. I'm aiming for a used 2018 or if I'm lucky to find a used 2019 model. The surround view in 2019 model would be nice but not a deal breaker either. As long as it has seat heaters and steering wheel heater.

FYI, if it matters to you, the steering wheel on the 2018 is only heated at approximately the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. I'm not sure if they've changed it for the 2019 or plan to change it for the 2020 MY. Doesn't bother me but I know it's an annoyance for others.

Your points are all valid, with the exception of ride quality.I believe Mazda specifically goes for a little more road feel in the overall suspension setup rather than isolating the passengers. IMO, the XC90's implementation of the infotainment is class leading, it blows out not just Mazda but probably every other crossover in the market (per with the exception of the Atlas' cockpit). I cross shopped the Hybrid inscription and found it to be a completely different tier when fully spec'd. My concerns were with reliability and dealer availability (closest dealer is 70 miles away). That said, I do feel as if the XC90 has aged faster than the CX-9

If you can, I would recommend holding off until the 2020 CX-9s are available to see if the infotainment is improved. The third row vents are a glaring issue and Mazda will likely fix that in this generation as with a myriad of other little issues.

My sister in law recently bought a brand new top o the line XC90 (well, not the limo one, but nearly top of the line). Here's a few things I noticed.

The NAV screen is huge. Like Tesla huge. It dominates the dash.
The interior is damn nice. Materials, looks, ergonomics. The drivers seat is a comfortable place for my 6'2" 190 self.
The suspension is soft. Your CX-5 will take their lunch money up a windy road. The Volvo guy will be lounging on a silent cloud, but the Mazda is quicker (according to my ass dyno).

For the money, I'd honestly rather have the Mazda. Other than the "Thor's Hammer" running lights and the interior materials, the Volvo is just too...stale. Anonymous. Plain.

I'll take Zoom Zoom over silent cloud everytime.

I imagine that the XC-90 would still be a tad more comfortable while the CX-9 leans a little more on the sporty side. The Bose system is decent, but it honestly sounds like it should be the standard equipment on the base model. It would be great if they offered a better audio option like the B&W system (love their earbuds, best I've ever used). One other thing to consider is the OEM tire offered on the CX-9. In my experience, they're fine for wet and dry pavement, but they're not that great in the snow. Very quiet tires as well. I have no idea how the tires on the XC-90 are.

FYI, if it matters to you, the steering wheel on the 2018 is only heated at approximately the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. I'm not sure if they've changed it for the 2019 or plan to change it for the 2020 MY. Doesn't bother me but I know it's an annoyance for others.

Yea I would think XC90 would be a tad more comfortable even with stock suspensions. Also good to know about the heated steering wheel. That's not a total deal breaker as it can still warm your hands up until the heat starts blowing.

Your points are all valid, with the exception of ride quality.I believe Mazda specifically goes for a little more road feel in the overall suspension setup rather than isolating the passengers. IMO, the XC90's implementation of the infotainment is class leading, it blows out not just Mazda but probably every other crossover in the market (per with the exception of the Atlas' cockpit). I cross shopped the Hybrid inscription and found it to be a completely different tier when fully spec'd. My concerns were with reliability and dealer availability (closest dealer is 70 miles away). That said, I do feel as if the XC90 has aged faster than the CX-9

If you can, I would recommend holding off until the 2020 CX-9s are available to see if the infotainment is improved. The third row vents are a glaring issue and Mazda will likely fix that in this generation as with a myriad of other little issues.

I might wait till 2020 just to see how much the 2018/2019's will lose in value. Regarding the Volvo dealerships, I have 2 within 20 miles of me so that wouldn't be an issue. But nobody wants to buy a new car and constantly be at the dealership for service either.

Yea I would think XC90 would be a tad more comfortable even with stock suspensions. Also good to know about the heated steering wheel. That's not a total deal breaker as it can still warm your hands up until the heat starts blowing.

I might wait till 2020 just to see how much the 2018/2019's will lose in value. Regarding the Volvo dealerships, I have 2 within 20 miles of me so that wouldn't be an issue. But nobody wants to buy a new car and constantly be at the dealership for service either.

In my experience owning a Volvo for 7yrs (XC60) the dealership experience wasn*t great...good in the beginning then went downhill afterwards to the point that we dreaded going to dealership for servicing even if every 6 months and went from getting luxury brand equivalent loaners to going to Enterprise rentacar to get your loaner car! We get treated the same if not slightly better in our current Mazda dealership than Volvo! As a brand yes Volvo is a good brand but I also look for after sales service...the prestige and exclusivity of course comes with it esp in the beginning but after a while the prestige fades and the vehicle just becomes - another vehicle just like any out there (does/has same thing/features as any other). If the dealership in your area is good then no issues...I shopped the Lexus prior to CX9 and just decided to go mainstream (to Mazda) due to practicality reasons. Less expensive and cheaper to maintain plus you get most of the features offered in luxury brands anyway. Besides, the Volvo was starting to have some minor mechanical issues here and there and cost was starting to pile up plus the fact that dealership service was a dud! I like Volvo as a brand but unlikely to go back due to practicality reasons.

Anyone cross shopped these two vehicles before settling on CX-9?

I'll soon be in the market for a 3 row SUV, where the third row will only be used when we have family in town or such, so not very often. But the extra space will be great for my dog.

Anyways, these two seem to get raving reviews in their respective classes. They're similar in size, both are on smaller ends, but both are higher end for their class.

XC-90 seemed to have some reliability issues with first model year but seems like most of those have been ironed out by now.

I'm comparing 2018/2019 CX-9 signature vs. 2017/2018 XC-90 momentum trim.

I haven't test driven either one so definitely would need to do that.

If anyone has driven both, would love to hear what yo think about them.

I briefly considered both of these vehicles before electing to keep my 2010 CX-9 until it explodes.

First the XC-90:
Very nice inside. Quiet. Smooth. Gets pricey really fast when adding options. Unfortunately, when I looked at them the Sensus infotainment was a bit of a train wreck - the thing rebooted twice when I was using it.

CX-9:
A bit on the small side inside. Signature trim is very nice. Drives more like a car than the XC-90.

If it were me, I would have no qualms buying a CX-9. I would lease an XC90. Mazda appears to have sorted out the early issues with the CX-9. The Volvo still seems to have problems related to the electrical system. The XC-90 still has a very poor reliability score on Consumer Reports while the CX-9 is now "recommended" after a couple of rough years - take that for what its worth.

I briefly considered both of these vehicles before electing to keep my 2010 CX-9 until it explodes.

First the XC-90:
Very nice inside. Quiet. Smooth. Gets pricey really fast when adding options. Unfortunately, when I looked at them the Sensus infotainment was a bit of a train wreck - the thing rebooted twice when I was using it.

CX-9:
A bit on the small side inside. Signature trim is very nice. Drives more like a car than the XC-90.

If it were me, I would have no qualms buying a CX-9. I would lease an XC90. Mazda appears to have sorted out the early issues with the CX-9. The Volvo still seems to have problems related to the electrical system. The XC-90 still has a very poor reliability score on Consumer Reports while the CX-9 is now "recommended" after a couple of rough years - take that for what its worth.

What's the reason you decided to stick with your old CX-9 over the new one?

I like CX-9 but a lot of things I'm hearing are kind of worrisome, such as rough ride, small on the inside, uncomfortable seats, etc... I don't mind that it drives like a car as long as it's roomier and more comfortable than a car, otherwise, I'd rather save money and get a Mazda6 if the ride is similar quality. Ultimately I'd be driving it long distances so would need to be a comfy ride.

Some things like rough ride yet quiet ride are hard to understand since they're both comfort-related, but they're opposing qualities, if that makes sense.

I like CX-9 but a lot of things I'm hearing are kind of worrisome, such as rough ride, small on the inside, uncomfortable seats, etc... I don't mind that it drives like a car as long as it's roomier and more comfortable than a car, otherwise, I'd rather save money and get a Mazda6 if the ride is similar quality. Ultimately I'd be driving it long distances so would need to be a comfy ride.

Some things like rough ride yet quiet ride are hard to understand since they're both comfort-related, but they're opposing qualities, if that makes sense.

Sounds like an extended test drive is in order. Talk to your Mazda dealer and see if it would be possible to take the car home for a full day or two. This would give you the opportunity to get a feel for the interior experience - see if the seats are still comfortable after sitting in them for a long period of time, make sure you can find a comfortable driving position, etc.

In terms of ride, the CX-9 does have a more firm ride, especially with the OEM 20" wheels. It does handle bumps and road imperfections like road seams and train tracks very well. It won't feel like a boat, but you won't be chipping your teeth either. The best way I can describe it is firm, but composed. In my CX-9, nothing in the car rattles over the bumps, aside from my daughter's car seat. If you're open to it, you could try the Touring model, which comes with 18" wheels (or buy the 18" wheels and tires for an additional cost - if you're considering doing this, it's almost always better to buy an aftermarket set of wheels and tires). The ride is noticeably softer, but the difference in handling is also noticeable with the OEM 18" tires.

What kind of car are you coming from?

I am not trying to dispute these reports, but in my opinion, I would not characterize the ride quality as being "rough". If you are talking about the way the suspension is tuned, it definitely feels more "planted" than typical SUVs and that is exactly what drew me to the CX-9 over something like an MDX or Lexus...it drives like a dream on turns, even without the magnetic ride system they introduced later in 2018. Cargo space concerns are valid, especially if you keep the third row seat up. "Small on the inside" does not mean it's cramped. The best way to describe it is you're embedded into the vehicle rather than the sitting on top like a pickup. It's forgiving for those coming in from sedans but I see why some would think it's "smaller".

I think the issue you will face here will be with subjectivity. Nobody can really tell you how well this works for your specific driving characteristics and route. Like someone else said, I second finding a reputable dealer and ask them if you can take the CX-9 for the weekend. Many are willing to do this, if you are honest and seriously considering it. Ditto with the XC90

Sounds like an extended test drive is in order. Talk to your Mazda dealer and see if it would be possible to take the car home for a full day or two. This would give you the opportunity to get a feel for the interior experience - see if the seats are still comfortable after sitting in them for a long period of time, make sure you can find a comfortable driving position, etc.

In terms of ride, the CX-9 does have a more firm ride, especially with the OEM 20" wheels. It does handle bumps and road imperfections like road seams and train tracks very well. It won't feel like a boat, but you won't be chipping your teeth either. The best way I can describe it is firm, but composed. In my CX-9, nothing in the car rattles over the bumps, aside from my daughter's car seat. If you're open to it, you could try the Touring model, which comes with 18" wheels (or buy the 18" wheels and tires for an additional cost - if you're considering doing this, it's almost always better to buy an aftermarket set of wheels and tires). The ride is noticeably softer, but the difference in handling is also noticeable with the OEM 18" tires.

What kind of car are you coming from?

Yea I think that's the best route to go with.

I'm coming from a BMW 135 (very rough ride, small and cramped inside) and Dodge Ram pickup (very bouncy and soft ride, very spacious on the inside). Basically looking for a good balance in between.

My wife has a BMW X1, which is also a little rough, so I'm hoping CX-9 would be a tad bit softer than that.

Last edited:
Yea I think that's the best route to go with.

I'm coming from a BMW 135 (very rough ride, small and cramped inside) and Dodge Ram pickup (very bouncy and soft ride, very spacious on the inside). Basically looking for a good balance in between.

My wife has a BMW X1, which is also a little rough, so I'm hoping CX-9 would be a tad bit softer than that.

I think you'll be happy. My only concern would be the cabin - there's plenty of headroom, but it doesn't seem to accommodate wider-set folks very well. I'm 5'8" and 210lbs and it feels like a perfect fit.

I have to say that I'm biased against Volvos. I just sold my son's S40 T5 AWD and it cost me a ton of $$ for the three years I owned it. If you plan on keeping a Volvo past the warranty period, be prepared to pay more for parts (up to 3x as much) and labor can get costly. When it was running, the little car was great, but it broke down frequently. I have a number of friends with Volvo and they all say the same thing: They are costly to own. I think that Japanese cars are much less costly in the long run. Both of my Acuras (which I've had for well over a decade each) have cost me less than I spent in repairs on the Volvo, total. I have no regrets in purchasing my '18 CX-9 GT. It is great fun to drive, uses regular gas, and if I need to (eventually) need to wrench on it, looks much easier to work on than the Volvo. As folks above have noted, both of these vehicles have pros and cons. You'll need to drive both and think about the pluses and minuses of ownership (short-term or long-term). Lastly, as sm1ke mentioned, make sure you like the CX-9 seats. There's been a lot of discussion on this forum regarding the seats. I happen to fit well in them because I'm thin, but others do not.

I cannot tell about Volvo but I can say anything about CX-9.
For almost ten years and over 110K on meter, I am very pleased with our 2010 CX-9.
I am 5'9" and 190lbs. I really love mazda seats. It is not so soft like honda or not so firm like MB to me. For all that years, we don't have any broke down.
Yet, I am planning to get another CX-9 next year, probably 2020 model.

The new CX-9 and the XC90 were very nice, don't get me wrong. The new Signature CX9 is definitely nicer inside than my old GT model. The ride is fine and it is quieter than the previous generation, too. Both get better crash test results and have more "active safety" features.

However, after testing out both, I couldn't justify spending the cash to replace my current CX-9. They are definitely nicer, but not enough of a step up. My old car still runs fine, has relatively low mileage, and the interior is still in good shape.

I don't want to rehash old threads, but I found the new CX-9 a little on the small side, especially when sitting in the driver's seat, in comparison to the previous generation. My knee was resting on the center console, and the roof seemed a little lower (my current CX-9 does not have a sunroof). As to the Volvo, it seemed to be about $10k overpriced - brand cachet has no value to me.

Latest posts

Back